Mothball smell - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #15
Name: Faith
Trailer: Scamp
When we did the major clean out for the 77S13 nothing would get rid of the rodent smell but we finally scrubbed with vinegar water and then but large amounts of baking soda inside and shut it up like a frig. It took a couple tries, but it finally worked.

Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
oh another thought. Contact a company that deals with disaster recovery... like after a house fire. And find out what they use to get rid of the smokey odor. I know Kilz has been recommended as a primer for paint, but surely there's something for foam and fabrics, since they deal with odors in carpets/drapery, etc. which might help with the foam.
Most companies use ozone machines. They must be used with care and not around people or pets, but they are effective and can probably be rented for a reasonable cost.

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Ozone machines, hmmmm, I have one of those but never have plugged it in to the camper. Maybe one of your friends would have one that they could borrow you for a few hours. Mine has a setting that is to be used when no one is home and I bet that would really get the smell out. Worth a try if you know anyone having one of these in home units. My unit is called "Fresh Air" by Ecoquest. You could check those out online also.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #18
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
I don't think anozone generator is the answer. This EPA paper cites health concerns and also suggests little or no value in removing most odors from porous material. It does mention, however, that there might be something to the removal of smoke odor.

EPA paper

Besides the well known effect on many rubbers and plastics.
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Steve L. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #19
Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
I don't think Nature's Miracle or similar products will work. They are enzymes that eat biologic material, that's why they work on urine and other nasties like that.

I like the baking in the sun approach. A vapor is what started it all.

Maybe calling a mothball manufacturer to get an answer.

Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #20
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I have removed the cushions/covers. I washed the covers twice (in Penguin wash) and left them out for three days to air-out. This helped quite a bit and the mothball odor is gone. The cushions are still nasty, both smell wise and visibly, so we'll probably be replacing those. The curtains were washed twice and that helped.

I've removed all the carpet (which was much easier than I expected). The floor is in amazingly good shape. There's some rot at the front edge of the trailer under the couch/bunk. Since these are relativly small pieces of OSB I figure I'll just remove the whole thing and install new pieces and fiberglass in.

We've bleached/scrubbed 90% of the hard surfaces. I've let the trailer air out weather permitting. There'll be no baking in the sun anytime soon as I think winter has come to New England and the trailer is parked on the north side of the house. The mothball smell has subsided somewhat and now there is a general funk to it. I'll be trying febreeze on the rat fut and I bought Wally World out of baking soda today so that will go in.

Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #21
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Todd... Don't get rid of the "Funk" as that is what you will remember in years to come... That Old Trailer Smell!!! Maybe you could find a way to bottle it and send it Express Post to those... frozen out of their trailers
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote