mould in fibreglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Name: Deigh
Trailer: Mazda Parkway
Franklin
mould in fibreglass

hi, I'm a new member from New Zealand. I have a 6metre Mazda bus which I converted to a motorhome some 12 years ago. My wife and I live in it permanently. After winter it is just like a house in as much as it has to have a thorough spring clean. This year we have had an unusual problem. There are small areas of black mould in the fibreglass interior especially in corners where it is difficult to get to. Trying to clean it off with bleach type cleaners only works temporarily and then a few weeks later it returns.

Has anyone got a permanent answer for this problem?
Deigh Davies
Deigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome to our group! I know that I have some mildew or black mold problems at times, too, and bleach does clean it off. However, the mold returns because there are two conditions present: moisture and a somewhat porous surface. I haven't solved my problem yet, but it would seem that you need something to fill the little holes that the mold likes to grab onto, thus sealing the area. Perhaps a good heavy wax or sealant for fiberglass, preferably with a mildew retardant? Hopefully someone else will chip in, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Welcome Deigh from slightly up from down under. I think your bus needs air circulation (vents open), dehumidification (reusable dessicant or refigerator-type dehumidifier) or a mold killer. I saw one mentioned recently in a thread on buying used trailers with this problem but can't remember the name. Something similar must be available in NZ.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
+1 on getting it dry and keeping it dry. You might try running a dehumidifier in it for a while after cleaning with something designed to kill/prevent mold.

One mistake people often make with those type of cleaning products is to not leave them on long enough. Most need to sit for a period of time before removal.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #5

Trailer:
For mould on fiberglass I would recommend a cleaner containing oxalic acid - the word acid sounds a bit harsh but, for example, it's the active ingredient in Bar Keepers Friend. Cleaners for boat hulls and decks are the best place to look for it.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

Franklin
mould

Thanks, that is the sort of info I was looking for, will search the internet for the product. Ventilation is not a problem in spring and summer but in winter we use a de-humidifier to keep dampness down and rely on a big cleanup in spring to catch up on the sneaky stuff!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Franklin
[QUOTE=Andrew Gibbens;354563]For mould on fiberglass I would recommend a cleaner containing oxalic acid -

Searched the internet and can't find it in NZ. One source said it was marketed here under 'White Magic' and stocked by a local merchant. Have just been down and looked and it 'aint there! Searched the vast array of cleaners for one containing oxalic acid and there was nothing, it may be banned in this country. I did find a grout cleaner containing 'Sulfamic Acid' and have purchased that as a tryout. The warnings on the container are a bit scary!!

Deigh
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Yikes!

I think Sulfamic acid is more for descaling of mineral deposits...

Mold is a living organism that only needs to be killed, and there's nothing that does so more effectively than plain ol' bleach. As noted above, it needs to sit for a time to effectively kill all spores, but in my experience it will regrow anyway if conditions are right.

You're getting regrowth simply due to moisture and enough re-accumulation of organics to support mold growth. It's always a bigger problem in winter due to higher indoor humidity levels, at least around here.

There are some compounds that can be added to paint that retard molds/mildews. If this is a huge problem for you it might be worthwhile looking into those.

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Part way down the page is NZ distributor of Bar Keepers Friend. With phone and email address. oxalic acid cleanser and great stuff in general IMHO.

International Sales

You might also try paint and wood working stores, oxalic acid is wood bleach. I dip a small scrub brush in water, then in powder so brush has a paste on it then scrub away.

I also used a product called LA Awsome cleanser (available from Amazon shipping could be an issue) inside elephant hide of my camper was black in places, gray in others. I cleaned with these two products with scrub brush and no return.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deigh View Post
hi, I'm a new member from New Zealand. I have a 6metre Mazda bus which I converted to a motorhome some 12 years ago. My wife and I live in it permanently.
Sounds very cool; I would really like to see some pictures.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
You might want to use White Vinegar. Chlorine bleach will take several applications to kill the root. Vinegar will kill the root.

Will White Vinegar Kill Mold & Mildew? | eHow.com
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Franklin
The Grurzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
It's about time I added some interior shots of the bus. This one is outside obviously.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

Franklin
Quote:
Right, here is an attempt to add some!!

1 is me in gutted 'bus, expression tells it all "What the hell have I got into?"

2 ,3 and four, Click image for larger version

Name:	img056.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	54143

Click image for larger version

Name:	img057.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	54144

Name:	img058.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	54145

Name:	img059.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	54146Gradual improvement of insides with table designed to fold down into gap to make bed area.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

Franklin
'bus

Quote:
More pix!!

Table folds down and opens up to make bed base. (Printed in wrong order!)

Bedroll containing thin foam mattress and duvet rolls down to cover area which makes bed 6ft x 6ft and easy to climb out of and into! It is very comfortable
Last pix is of boot which is now fishing area and contains 3 sets of waders,seven fishing rods and lots of other stuff, also heater to dry out waders!!
Attached Thumbnails
img060.jpg   img061.jpg  

img062.jpg   img065.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Franklin
[QUOTE=Kevin A;354440]Welcome to our group! I know that I have some mildew or black mold problems at times, too, and bleach does clean it off.

Thanks for all that information, but none of it worked! Tried white vinegar- useless! White Magic was not available, Other cleaners suggested were too expensive to even consider, so I reverted to a rag soaked in paint thinners. This did remove it and I will now spray with a coat of clear polythene lacquer to see if sealing the area will keep the stain