Mounting 13" (Regular, Tube) TV - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Tirah's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 127
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Hi All,

I have a 13" tube television combination VCR that I'd like to mount somewhere in the trailer (too cheap to buy an LCD and already had this tube tv).

I was thinking of mounting it on one of the trailer walls or on the side of the fiberglass closet. Do you think the trailer walls/the fiberglass closet walls are structurally sound enough to mount something that heavy into it (using a tv-mount)? Has anyone else done this with a heavy tube tv?

Otherwise, I'm thinking of building some type of tv shelf out of 2x4's and some thin plywood for the dinette-bed area (almost like a very tiny "bunk" for the tv), on the side our feet go when sleeping, in that little curve in the corner (we've decided to keep that bed in bed-position at all times). Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks for all your input with my numerous silly questions, folks!
__________________

__________________
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Member
 
Lance MacArthur's Avatar
 
Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Posts: 79
This was my adaptation to the boler closet: tv, microwave, air conditioner and drawer. I put extra supports in the closet to hold the weight. The ac and tv are on heavy duty drawer slides.

We're looking for the right lcd tv, but since the feds are going to high def in 2009, I will wait for a 15-17" hd screen with a built-in dvd. There's a couple out now that are hd ready, but none that small have an hd tuner yet.

Have fun with your rennovations. I try to find a bunch every winter. Of course I'll have to keep the boler forever -- too much $$ invested to sell it.
Attached Thumbnails
Closet_conversion.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tirah's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 127
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
This was my adaptation to the boler closet: tv, microwave, air conditioner and drawer. I put extra supports in the closet to hold the weight. The ac and tv are on heavy duty drawer slides.

We're looking for the right lcd tv, but since the feds are going to high def in 2009, I will wait for a 15-17" hd screen with a built-in dvd. There's a couple out now that are hd ready, but none that small have an hd tuner yet.

Have fun with your rennovations. I try to find a bunch every winter. Of course I'll have to keep the boler forever -- too much $$ invested to sell it.
I'm trying to figure out how you manged to get an a/c, microwave, and tv into the closet cabinet! That gives me hope that maybe I can readjust everything in the closet to make room for the tv. All three of your closet appliances are just about the same size as ours. We didn't plan things very well when we put everything into the closet.

I hear ya' about not ever selling your Boler. I'd feel like charging 10 times what I paid (even though it would never really be worth that much)! I have a feeling will end up giving it to our kids when they're grown in 15/17 years (got that idea when I read about Jaye giving her son one of her trailers...so cool)!
__________________
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
Holly Molly!
No room for clothes
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tirah's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 127
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
Holly Molly!
No room for clothes
No kidding! We have two toddlers, plus ourselves, too. We do a lot of laundry with our bucket+plunger device!
__________________
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I was thinking of mounting it on one of the trailer walls or on the side of the fiberglass closet. Do you think the trailer walls/the fiberglass closet walls are structurally sound enough to mount something that heavy into it (using a tv-mount)? Has anyone else done this with a heavy tube tv?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6165

I am also too cheap to put something new into the trailer. Mine is a combo TV/VCR. I have an optional child's bunk that I attached the ceiling mount to the bottom of. I found a frame member (1" x 2") that I drilled the mounting holes [b]NEXT TO, BUT NOT THROUGH. Then I installed the bolts with [b]fender washers top & bottom that clamp around the lightweight frame, preventing splitting the wood with such large diameter bolts. The ceiling mount was designed to lag screw into a minimum 2" x 4" stud/joist.

The TV/VCR is too heavy to stay in place when travelling, I have found. I pack it in a tote bin that rides on the floor, and move it onto the mount when setting up camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Child__s_Upper_Bunk.jpg  
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tirah's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 127
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
Attachment 6165

I am also too cheap to put something new into the trailer. Mine is a combo TV/VCR. I have an optional child's bunk that I attached the ceiling mount to the bottom of. I found a frame member (1" x 2") that I drilled the mounting holes [b]NEXT TO, BUT NOT THROUGH. Then I installed the bolts with [b]fender washers top & bottom that clamp around the lightweight frame, preventing splitting the wood with such large diameter bolts. The ceiling mount was designed to lag screw into a minimum 2" x 4" stud/joist.

The TV/VCR is too heavy to stay in place when travelling, I have found. I pack it in a tote bin that rides on the floor, and move it onto the mount when setting up camp.

Ooh, that's a great setup. I am thinking more about that shelf thing that you've done, except mine will be along the back wall with supports screwed into the bench seat edge- and much smaller in size (we have one of those huge fiberglass cabinets above the dinette). I'd love to put the tv in the closet, but I don't think I can make enough room.

I love how you put a map into the top of your table!
__________________
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Barbara Gardin's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Posts: 203
We have put a shelf across the foot of the bed(which we leave up). It is very handy for other things as well. The TV rides elsewhere when on the move.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BobB's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Posts: 564
Registry
Here is our shelf in our Casita 17SD. It rests on a cleat below the window and 2 legs that extend to the fiberglas bench. The shelf is handy for preparing food, books, television or clothes. There is plenty of room for our feet below the shelf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	6172
__________________
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
[quote]Here is our shelf in our Casita 17SD. It rests on a cleat below the window and 2 legs that extend to the fiberglas bench. The shelf is handy for preparing food, books, television or clothes. There is plenty of room for our feet below the shelf.
Attachment 6172

Bob,

Your shelf looks great! I think it may be the perfect answer to letting our dog sleep with us without continuing to give up precious space on an already too small bed. All it needs is a comfy cushion and a dog willing to stay on it all night!

Jeanne
__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
I built a shelf like Barbara's except mine has legs. It seems to work ok for the TV and misc. junk.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tirah's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 127
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Those shelves-over-dinettes you have all built are terrific. That's just what I was thinking of. Thanks for posting the pics- I can use them as a diagram for what I can build. You all are amazing in all the great mods you've done.

And I love the idea of building one for a dog bed. Makes me want to bring along my two cats as well as the dog (except where in the world would the litterbox go...eh).
__________________
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Barbara Gardin's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Posts: 203
If you look closely Lizbeth you will see my shelf has legs also.
__________________
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
Quote:
We have put a shelf across the foot of the bed(which we leave up). It is very handy for other things as well. The TV rides elsewhere when on the move.
Your shelf is very elegant Barbara! Is it attached in some way to your trailer? What did you make the legs out of?

Jeanne
__________________

__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tube Radios barryra Hobbies & Passions 1 07-21-2010 08:22 PM
See what the inside of your awning tube looks like Gina D. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 06-10-2009 10:44 AM
Loose Dometic refrigerator water drain tube on Bigfoot 08, 21RB GeorgeR Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 06-08-2009 03:58 PM
Reusing a regular bed frame. Bonnie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 09-28-2007 07:57 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.