mounting a single propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i've got a two tank set up on the hitch of my '76 boler. two tanks are overkill for me and i'd like to remove one. i see photos other little eggs with one bottle, but unfortunately can't make out the details. it seems as though some have a hooked metal band on adjusting buckles? where do i find something like this? the belly band tank mount that is the only single mount i can find on rv sites has a wall mount; i want to mount onto the hitch. thanks for any advise!
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just borrowed Joy A's setup from her album (is Joy back from Alaska yet??). At anyrate, this is what she's done. The reason, is where she get's the tank filled wouldn't fill the tank when it's on the trailer. The Scamp setup from the factory requires wrenches, etc. to remove the tank. A bungy, or maybe a chain/padlock is easier to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails
JoyATank.jpg   JoyATank2.jpg  

JoyATank3.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You could also call Scamp and get the mounting hardware from them.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Here is what I did to convert from a two tank setup to a single tank setup. I just travelled 3000 kilometers and have had no problems. Sorry, but I don't have a camera, to show you a picture, but I can describe.

1) Buy a special cap to cap off the unused hose end. Some RV shops have them.
2) You know where the two tank crossbar hooks onto the propane tank? Well, replace the one of the propane tanks with a piece square steel tubing of the same height that the tank takes up (the height of the slot). Simply use the existing propane clamp to clamp onto the piece of steel instead of the tank you don't want. (in my case, I used a piece of unistrut). Works like a charm.

I really hated having to carry the extra tank, but didn't want to permanently rework the arrangement. This way, I can go back to two tanks any time.

Regards
Kevin.

I'll need to find a digital camera to show you some time..........
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #5

kevin, no need for a photo, i understand you exactly. sheer genius! thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Plan B:
Do as we did when we found that 2 20lb'ders were overkill, we took them off, used them as new back up supplys for our family BBQ (I BBQ a LOT!!) and went out and bought 2 l'il 5 or 7 lb (I forget the exact size) tanks, leaving all the fittings intack, just cutting down the center tie down support rod to appropriate size. This also really helped clean up that overcluttered look of the two too large tanks on the bow of our Trillium.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #7

well, thanks for all the advise, i'm sorting it out this morning. i had been searching for some 'tie downs' that were really just steel rod that is bent into hooks on the top and then attaches below with the wingnut/washer set up of the omnipopular buddy tee valve and could not find them anywhere. they are called j hooks. then when i went to a local rv shop that i had previously called about this and they said they had never heard of such a thing...i found them right on the shelf for ten bucks! i guess that's why its always good to go in person with the part in hand as the counter help is not always that with it!
2 tanks for me is terribly excessive; i have no idea why someone would need 40 lbs of propane. also, the two tanks add tongue weight and on a personal note, i find them very unattrative, spoiling the look of simplicity that makes these little trailers so cool.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #8

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Yup, J hooks are great for this. I also needed to mount a single tank on the tongue of my 13" Burro which has a grid like shelf on the tongue top.

I got a strip of 1"x1/8" aluminum and cut two pieces about a foot long and bent the ends so they hooked the tank collar and wrapped around the sides of the tannk and ended in a bent flange with a hole that I drilled in it. The J hooks grab the shelf below the tank and come up and through the hole. (one on each side) Tightening the nut on the bolts on each bracket clamps the tank down super tight. You can use wing nuts for quick release but I use nuts so it's not too easy for someone to take my tank.

Total cost for bolts and aluminum strip (all from Lowe's) about $12.
Tools required: hacksaw, hammer and vice (for bending alum), drill and bit.
Time to construct 45 minutes.

Be sure to get galvanized J bolts so that they don't rust. And bend the aluminum slowly and not too sharply so as not to stress and break it.

Regards,
Rick.
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote