Mouse entry W/O permission - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #41
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
mouse

I have mice in a couple of areas accessible from the power cord outlet. They got into the "silverware drawer" and a lower cabinet. I put 3 Fuller steel wool pads around the cord and put a "Tin Cat" with peanut butter in it inside the area where the cord enters the Scamp. I sent for 2 "Victor M914 Fast Kill disposable mouse baits" and a "Victor M751K Pestchaser Rodent repellant with nightlight" which arrives today. It remains to be seen if all of this firepower works. I'll report later.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #42

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I have mice in a couple of areas accessible from the power cord outlet. They got into the "silverware drawer" and a lower cabinet. I put 3 Fuller steel wool pads around the cord and put a "Tin Cat" with peanut butter in it inside the area where the cord enters the Scamp. I sent for 2 "Victor M914 Fast Kill disposable mouse baits" and a "Victor M751K Pestchaser Rodent repellant with nightlight" which arrives today. It remains to be seen if all of this firepower works. I'll report later.
I'm not sure what it is you couldn't find with the link I posted above. The first one, linked to Amazon, has the entire kit to install a shore power inlet to your trailer, including a new female end for the remaining portion of the shore power cord. It's everything you need in one box.

I would also offer up a caution regarding the use of poison bait, and especially any baits inside the trailer. When they die, they will undoubtedly be in the most inaccessible areas and will stink for a long time. Don't count on them dying right next to the bait. They'll eat it, and then crawl off to die somewhere else.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:12 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mice are a constant problem. I find nests all the time. Check under the hood of your vehicles. The air filter box and in the hood insulation are likely locations. Check the cabin air filter as well and try to remember to close the air recirculate door before shutting off the vehicle. If they chew through the filter and the door is open, they are in. Once in, snap traps baited with peanut butter work well but you have to find the entry point. And they love to chew wires especially the ones with soy based insulation that Honda and Subaru used.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:13 AM   #44
MJo

Massachusetts
mouse

thank you for replying. I tried to go to the sites you mentioned for the replacement power cord door and outlet replacement but couldn't find what I thought you had, lots of "inlets" but few "outlets" I would prefer using an "outlet so I could plug my house extension cords in and I would modify the Scamp cord by attaching a male plug to the cut end. The Victor baits are self-contained, boxes with bait in them that can feed up to several mice and can be thrown into the trash.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #45

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
thank you for replying. I tried to go to the sites you mentioned for the replacement power cord door and outlet replacement but couldn't find what I thought you had, lots of "inlets" but few "outlets" I would prefer using an "outlet so I could plug my house extension cords in and I would modify the Scamp cord by attaching a male plug to the cut end. The Victor baits are self-contained, boxes with bait in them that can feed up to several mice and can be thrown into the trash.
NEVER install any open (male) terminal ends to the end of the cord you plug into the trailer! All trailer inlet plugs are already male, and for good reason. If you have a female end on the cord to attach to the male receptacle of the trailer, you won't have any energized and potentially deadly electrocution hazard. Besides from being illegal, it is extremely dangerous. It sounds like you could use some professional help with your wiring, as it appears that you don't know much about electricity, and this could prove to be a project that may be "out of your pay grade" so to speak. If that cord was plugged into the supply outlet and someone touched those male plug terminals, you could kill them. I won't make light of the dangerousness of doing something like that.

Are you trying to find an outlet like the ones in the walls in your house? (i.e. 15 Amp receptacle to just plug in a normal extension cord?) If so, the 30 Amp plug is pretty much a standard in the RV world, although you can still usually find a standard outlet installed next to the 30 Amp RV plug-in. In any case, if you install a 30 Amp twist-lock, you can always use an adapter to go from your "home outlet" to the 30 Amp RV outlet.

After looking around, I think that this may be what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5S4UQCW4&psc=1
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #46
MJo

Massachusetts
Thank you for your explanation with Warning. Since I'm a newcomer to the RV world I needed the information you provided. You show plugs made by other manufacturers, ex. Camco. Will they fit into the twist lock mechanism on the RV side? (I assume so since you show them.). Unless I feel confident in making the alteration, I'll just fight the mice but the formation is very welcome.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #47
MJo

Massachusetts
I should have looked at my outside extension cord I've used to supply shore power all winter, it has the configuration you describe. Oh! I fluctuate from feeling this RV thing is doable, to feeling like I am not quite up to it. I'm 'on my own' my sons are 3 states away. Thanks again for taking the time to explain and Caution. MJo
Old 04-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #48

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And unless you are comfortable with wiring, I'd hire an electrician to install. What can appear to be simple to one person could be very intimidating for someone else.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #49

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
I would prefer using an "outlet so I could plug my house extension cords in
You can still use the Marinco shore power connection. They sell 30 amp twist-lock to male 3 plug adapters.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot