Mouse entry W/O permission - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 21' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Question Mouse entry W/O permission

We have a 2005 Bigfoot 21 ft trailer and love it. We cover it each winter(we are in British Columbia) to protect the finish. I was in the trailer checking it this past week and found about 1 cup full of seeds in the compartment under the fridge. We never leave anything edible in the trailer over the winter so as to not attract any rodents. I have been on top, under, frt, back, left and right and have not found any opening for the pest to get in. By the amount of seeds he stored he had free access to the inside when ever he/she wanted.
The Bigfoot is a set of closed bathtubs on top of each other so there is only a few spots for access, and they are all plugged. My mind has been going over the trailer time and again and the only spot I can think is the outside grille for the fridge. Is it possible for there to be a small hole behind the evaporator. I suspected that he climbed up the cover and crawled in.
Other than that point I am at a total loss as to where the little pest is getting in.
Have anybody else had this issue and how did you solve the problem.
TYIA
Rick
rck54789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
There still is couple of feet of snow on my camper so I haven't looked inside yet... but I know my camper has a vent through the floor for the battery compartment that is big enough for small critters to get in. I stuffed a rag in the hole last fall, so we'll see.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Google mouse holes. They can pass through incredibly small openings, incredible really. Mice problems with campers is pretty common and they can cause damage.

+10 to below, I keep bait stations under my campers (outside) as well as under my Miata. Mice love car wiring too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mouse entry W/O permission

Bait stations outside the camper. Crumpled aluminum foil in small gaps. Dryer sheets inside small, vulnerable spaces. Remove all food and nesting material. Frequent inspections. Last resort, traps.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
put some really bright lights on inside of the trailer being sure to do that inside of cabinets and closets. Next crawl under the trailer and hopefully you will see the light and know where you need to stuff in some stainless steel pot scrubber material. You can squirt a small amount of spray foam into that pot scrubber after it is in place and that will glue it into place as well as prevent drafts. This method of gap filling is removable if you ever need to make a repair to the trailer.

You can get stainless steel pot scrubbers in the grocery stores and in the hardware stores. Because it is stainless you won't have a rust issue.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
put some really bright lights on inside of the trailer being sure to do that inside of cabinets and closets. Next crawl under the trailer and hopefully you will see the light and know where you need to stuff in some stainless steel pot scrubber material. You can squirt a small amount of spray foam into that pot scrubber after it is in place and that will glue it into place as well as prevent drafts. This method of gap filling is removable if you ever need to make a repair to the trailer.

You can get stainless steel pot scrubbers in the grocery stores and in the hardware stores. Because it is stainless you won't have a rust issue.
I cut a bar of Irish spring soap and spread it around. i also have put a 5 gal. bucket with antifreeze in it. Set up a ramp to the bucket top, have a diving board when the mouse goes for the dog food it tips the board. I super glue the dog food on the end to make sure it stays all winter. 1 dozen so far.In the bottom RIP.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Do you keep your trailer plugged in to shore power? If so, do you have one of those power cord hatches with the little sliding door which opens when the cord is in use? That would definitely be one thing I would check for as a point of entry, if you have one of those access covers with the cord slot. Critters and ants use the shore power cord as a boarding ramp and often enter through that cord hole.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Mouse found a home!

Every MH or trailer or camper should be checked regularly as mice can get into any hole down to about 3/16" maybe less. So they probably came in through the Fridge Vent and found a dry, warm spot there for the winter.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker51 View Post
I cut a bar of Irish spring soap and spread it around. i also have put a 5 gal. bucket with antifreeze in it. Set up a ramp to the bucket top, have a diving board when the mouse goes for the dog food it tips the board. I super glue the dog food on the end to make sure it stays all winter. 1 dozen so far.In the bottom RIP.
Not only will Irish Spring soap keep the mice out it would keep me out of my trailer as well. I can't stand that soap, it smells very strong and not in a good way.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Not only will Irish Spring soap keep the mice out it would keep me out of my trailer as well. I can't stand that soap, it smells very strong and not in a good way.
So it works, buy Ivory
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Bounce dryer sheets placed throughout interior and exterior cabinets. Never ( knock on wood) a problem. Scent is mild
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
I had a mouse problem in my Bigfoot, only 2 entry points that made sense, propane line grommet was a bit loose or they got in while storage compartment door was left open while storing gear and I brought them home with me.
Tacoman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Stainless steel will rust, albeit slowly. Stainless is a marketing word. Back in the 1930s it was called "rust resistant steel".
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I did away with the small factory installed shore power hatch that had the little slider for allowing the shore power cord to protrude when deployed. I installed a Marine style twist-Lock removable end on my cord, and now just plug it in and unplug it to leave. No more "mouse door." I also installed a larger hatch in place of that small useless one which you couldn't do anything with, except fight with your power cord all the time. I have a lot more access for additional storage now that was just wasted space behind the converter before because you couldn't get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG   New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Please don’t use Irish Spring soap as your rat protection for your trailer. Does not work!! You to youtube , look it up under Irish Spring soap for mice. Video proof on not one not two but several videos showing does not work. One video shows the mice eating the Irisg Spring.
Grady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #16

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The neighborhood free range kitties seem to have things under control. I had a shop cat for a while who really earned his keep.

In the past, I've put a sheet of aluminum foil to block the refrigerator vents. That was after the shop cat died. I also stuffed steel wool in the power cord hole. It does rust though.

Knock on wood, no rodent problem so far.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
New York
Mice !!!!!!!!!!

" Cuddle " dryer sheets have worked for us for decades ( over 40 years ) ( the kind you can smell ). Our daughter tried scent free dryer sheets, they DO NOT work at keeping mice away.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Steel wool, install a cat, and what if the mouse had gotten permission first--would that have made you a more welcoming landlord? Maybe you need to figure out a way to raise the rent so it's less attractive. (so many suggestions above!)

Frequent ins and outs (like constantly needing something from or put into the trailer) helps, but we don't have a winter-long snow pack, either. Seems your mice don't even expect supplies laid in...they're happy to bring their own. True campers at heart.

So far we've been lucky...crossing all my toes and fingers and hoping for the best outcome for you!

Kathleen

Kai

"K"
Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #19

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Soak a sponge with bleach and put it under where you think they are getting in mice hate bleach.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #20

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Alberta
Mouse

stuffing cracks with steel wool also works; kept them out of our house trailer back in the day. Of course, backup is mousetrap in the trailer ;-)
Bruce_Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot