Moving the Scamp's "kitchen" to the outside, freeing up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
First of all, I'll have to admit that I'm one of those people who suffers(?) from a compulsion to preserve things that are in good, original condition - so from that point of view I hear you, Frederick. On the other hand, I always admire folks who can get "past" that and customize their trailers to suit themselves. So that side of me says to go ahead and make it "yours"!

And it's not like you have a brand new, $30,000 Oliver that you are proposing to "tear apart." I looks like your basic 13-er (almost a blank canvas )

There are a number of ways to keep the structure from sagging*, so I would say that it's not so much a matter of being sure you keep the original support, as it is understanding that you need to have some (correct) support in there, however you go about providing it.

The propane fridge is a sought after item, and relatively expensive to replace, so you do want to think about that. But I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker if you're not planning to sell the trailer soon (as I imagine you're not if you're going to customize it). And you could certainly sell it here.

Raya

*for example to keep the roof of a house from flattening outwards (as it is wont to do), you can have the usual ceiling rafters, or collar ties, or even a structural ridge (and I'm sure there are more ways). Triangles are good, however you get them
I think we plan to hang onto the trailer until our retirement, when we'll be ready to start spending more time camping and are ready to buy a more powerful tow vehicle (and sadly, we have probably another 30 years until retirement..hehe).

Our trailer is pretty "dumpy" inside (it was lived in full-time for a while by the previous owner), so I'm not too terribly worried about making any changes. I'll definitely be keeping all the appliances and cabinetry that I remove for this mod- with the knowledge that I'll have to put it all back in when we're ready to sell the trailer.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Here is a chuck box:

http://www.camping-boxes.com/Catalog/Class...cfm?refer=yahoo

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
This is the way I would like my Scamp setup. (Bed 5' 5" wide and 6' 2" long)

Attachment 18516

Attachment 18517

Attachment 18518

Attachment 18519

I have a 13' Scamp now that's in very good shape and I don't want to take it apart to make it look like this. So I have been looking for a fixer upper.
That's exactly the bed setup I'm thinking of. I know what you mean about not wanting to change a perfectly good trailer. Ours is a mess already, so any modifications are a step up from what we currently have.

We have the bunks on the far side of the wall, so I'd also love to be able to make them a little wider, so the kids might actually want to sleep in them rather than with us or on the floor.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #18

Ooh! Neat! Throw in a sink, and that would be exactly what I have in mind!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #19

I'm thinking of this:
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_floorplan.gif  
Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
It reminds me of a T[at]B:

http://www.tab-rv.com/specs/Lfloorplan.php

Looks good, but a little on the heavy side.

You should have used balsa wood.

Tab is really neat, but with an interior height of 5'9", it would give me claustrophobia! Cute floor plan, though. Has anyone seen one of these?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #21

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oh, good idea to just modify the Scamp layout sketch! I'll have to figure out how to do that so I can show my ideas instead of writing them out in 900 words...

R.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Oh, good idea to just modify the Scamp layout sketch! I'll have to figure out how to do that so I can show my ideas instead of writing them out in 900 words...

R.
Raya, try this totally cool freebie: Google Sketchup 3D Drawing App, I bought the Dummie book and I'm getting pretty good at it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm thinking that if I reconfigure the trailer now, I'll keep in mind that someday down the road when/if we resell, I might want to reconfigure it back to the original plan. So I'll save the old appliances/cabinetry and try to do this mod so that it's not too difficult to bring back to original configuration.
I'm lazy, and I'm also cheap.

Is there a reason you want a sink inside? I read your comment, and thought you wanted the sink in the chuck box.

I also noticed that you plan to keep the closet next to the entry door. IIRC the present design has a metal support between the base cabinet and the upper cabinet next to the existing sink, but not on the other side toward the front of the trailer.

My thought was to remove the kitchen base cabinet, and the stove, sink, and fridge. Replace it with a lower bench, at the same height as the other seats. Make a hinged fold-out seat-top. Couch by day, fill-in bed by night. Make an angled support for the upper cabinet so it doesn't block the flow from the rear sleep surface. This way you get a continuous wall to wall sleep surface, except for the closet and just inside the door.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #24

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Another potential support idea that comes to mind for the driver's side is to install a sort of "half moon" shaped vertical bulkhead where the bed meets the sink. As close to the center (forward/aft) as possible. Fiberglass tabbing would be ideal as the attachment would be continuous, but rivets would probably work alright.

To picture what I'm saying, imagine either the forward or rear closet wall standing on it's own but across on the other side of the trailer. If it's shaped just like the trailer wall (should) be shaped, and well attached along its height (the outside wall of the inside of the trailer), that side of the trailer should not be able to bow outwards, and if it can't bow outwards it can't sag (assuming your frame is in good shape). This is what the cabinet/support is trying to do but in a slightly different way.

When I say half moon, I mean more like a half circle, not the "sliver" type moon like you see on an outhouse door. Meaning the the edge toward the inside of the trailer would be basically straight up and down (enough to give it a decent section).

Raya
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
to Roger C H for the "chuck box" link ... something interesting to add to my 'wish list' - LdB
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #26

Quote:

R.
I used Paintshop, but you could always use one of the free paint applications available online (shareware/freeware).

It's definitely a fun way to procrastinate!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Raya, try this totally cool freebie: Google Sketchup 3D Drawing App, I bought the Dummie book and I'm getting pretty good at it!

That application is really neat!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #28

Quote:
I'm lazy, and I'm also cheap.

Is there a reason you want a sink inside? I read your comment, and thought you wanted the sink in the chuck box.

I also noticed that you plan to keep the closet next to the entry door. IIRC the present design has a metal support between the base cabinet and the upper cabinet next to the existing sink, but not on the other side toward the front of the trailer.

My thought was to remove the kitchen base cabinet, and the stove, sink, and fridge. Replace it with a lower bench, at the same height as the other seats. Make a hinged fold-out seat-top. Couch by day, fill-in bed by night. Make an angled support for the upper cabinet so it doesn't block the flow from the rear sleep surface. This way you get a continuous wall to wall sleep surface, except for the closet and just inside the door.

I was thinking of leaving the sink in the trailer, because we get dressed inside the trailer and often like to wash our hands/faces/brush teeth during that process (we typically end up using the sink very frequently, even though we cook elsewhere).

I would also put a sink in the chuck box, serving as the "kitchen" sink, though. I was thinking a very deep sink like a (lightweight plastic) laundry basin sink would be really useful for washing dishes.

I really like that idea of making some type of flip-up bench seat where the sink is. I was looking in there yesterday, thinking about something like that. I could potentially scrap the inside-sink idea and just put that kitchen chuck box right outside the trailer door.

Tags
scamp