Moving the Scamp's "kitchen" to the outside, freeing up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oh, good idea to just modify the Scamp layout sketch! I'll have to figure out how to do that so I can show my ideas instead of writing them out in 900 words...

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Oh, good idea to just modify the Scamp layout sketch! I'll have to figure out how to do that so I can show my ideas instead of writing them out in 900 words...

R.
Raya, try this totally cool freebie: Google Sketchup 3D Drawing App, I bought the Dummie book and I'm getting pretty good at it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm thinking that if I reconfigure the trailer now, I'll keep in mind that someday down the road when/if we resell, I might want to reconfigure it back to the original plan. So I'll save the old appliances/cabinetry and try to do this mod so that it's not too difficult to bring back to original configuration.
I'm lazy, and I'm also cheap.

Is there a reason you want a sink inside? I read your comment, and thought you wanted the sink in the chuck box.

I also noticed that you plan to keep the closet next to the entry door. IIRC the present design has a metal support between the base cabinet and the upper cabinet next to the existing sink, but not on the other side toward the front of the trailer.

My thought was to remove the kitchen base cabinet, and the stove, sink, and fridge. Replace it with a lower bench, at the same height as the other seats. Make a hinged fold-out seat-top. Couch by day, fill-in bed by night. Make an angled support for the upper cabinet so it doesn't block the flow from the rear sleep surface. This way you get a continuous wall to wall sleep surface, except for the closet and just inside the door.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Another potential support idea that comes to mind for the driver's side is to install a sort of "half moon" shaped vertical bulkhead where the bed meets the sink. As close to the center (forward/aft) as possible. Fiberglass tabbing would be ideal as the attachment would be continuous, but rivets would probably work alright.

To picture what I'm saying, imagine either the forward or rear closet wall standing on it's own but across on the other side of the trailer. If it's shaped just like the trailer wall (should) be shaped, and well attached along its height (the outside wall of the inside of the trailer), that side of the trailer should not be able to bow outwards, and if it can't bow outwards it can't sag (assuming your frame is in good shape). This is what the cabinet/support is trying to do but in a slightly different way.

When I say half moon, I mean more like a half circle, not the "sliver" type moon like you see on an outhouse door. Meaning the the edge toward the inside of the trailer would be basically straight up and down (enough to give it a decent section).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
to Roger C H for the "chuck box" link ... something interesting to add to my 'wish list' - LdB
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:

R.
I used Paintshop, but you could always use one of the free paint applications available online (shareware/freeware).

It's definitely a fun way to procrastinate!
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Raya, try this totally cool freebie: Google Sketchup 3D Drawing App, I bought the Dummie book and I'm getting pretty good at it!

That application is really neat!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #28

Quote:
I'm lazy, and I'm also cheap.

Is there a reason you want a sink inside? I read your comment, and thought you wanted the sink in the chuck box.

I also noticed that you plan to keep the closet next to the entry door. IIRC the present design has a metal support between the base cabinet and the upper cabinet next to the existing sink, but not on the other side toward the front of the trailer.

My thought was to remove the kitchen base cabinet, and the stove, sink, and fridge. Replace it with a lower bench, at the same height as the other seats. Make a hinged fold-out seat-top. Couch by day, fill-in bed by night. Make an angled support for the upper cabinet so it doesn't block the flow from the rear sleep surface. This way you get a continuous wall to wall sleep surface, except for the closet and just inside the door.

I was thinking of leaving the sink in the trailer, because we get dressed inside the trailer and often like to wash our hands/faces/brush teeth during that process (we typically end up using the sink very frequently, even though we cook elsewhere).

I would also put a sink in the chuck box, serving as the "kitchen" sink, though. I was thinking a very deep sink like a (lightweight plastic) laundry basin sink would be really useful for washing dishes.

I really like that idea of making some type of flip-up bench seat where the sink is. I was looking in there yesterday, thinking about something like that. I could potentially scrap the inside-sink idea and just put that kitchen chuck box right outside the trailer door.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #29

After reading what everyone had to say, I rethought the plan and came up with the below...which is to create that bed-extension mod that Myron L. created, and then also remove about 6-12 inches of the far right, kitchen cabinet and install flip-up bed extenders on both bunks (to make them that much wider).

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_bed_modification.gif  

Tags
scamp