I have decided to update this thread again because there are a few things to still muse about while I am under warranty. My 365 day warranty period will end on September 25 and at that time I will no longer muse in this thread as a new owner .
Let me mention the least of my problems first because this is one of those things that really should not be a problem at all. I don’t use my shower but if I did, then I might have sooner noticed that the hose between the shower pan drain and the strainer is kinked, apparently because it was too short and/or only one clamp was used. The pump would still get most of the water out of the shower pan but the kink was close to a total blockage. Luckily it’s an easy fix.
As I documented in my first post
(with photos in post #5)
, I had a leak in the roof mounted VanAir powered vent over the bathroom. I found that there was a small gap in the sealant around the perimeter and I thought that was the cause. I added some caulk and it seemed to be OK for a while. However, I recently had the camper parked in my driveway where it was close to level but at just the right angle for water to pool next to the VanAir vent and after a long rain I found the throw rugs on the floor soaked. A little water came in the center of the vent where the fan blade is, but it appears that most of the water ran under the rat fur / insulation to a point in the cabinet where the bathroom wall and stove cabinet meet (layout four). From there it went all over my floor.
After mopping up the water and removing the soaked rugs, I ran the air conditioner to dry out the camper (because the outdoor humidity was high). But instead of it drying it out, even more water came in. A quick look on the roof confirmed that the runoff from the A/C was also pooling next to the same place at the vent. After I raised the tongue, the runoff went in a different direction and the camper started to dry out.
So I pulled the vent out completely. From appearances, Scamp did a proper job when they installed it. While there was a small gap in the sealant, there was also butyl tape which should have prevented leaking even with the sealant gap. Below photo shows the butyl on the just-removed vent. I also found a few extra screw holes, and it appears they they started to install the vent in the wrong orientation (with the drain hole not at the lowest point). I filled these screw holes even though the fresh butyl should have sealed them up anyway. I then cleaned it all up and reinstalled using butyl tape. I tightened the screws in a star pattern and waited a few hours for the butyl to settle in the 90 degree summer sun. The tightened some more, gave the butyl a little more time, and made a final tightening. A little butyl came out evenly around the vent (as it should). I trimmed the butyl and used ProFlex-RV sealant around the perimeter.
IMHO I did a perfect job of installing the VanAir vent, so you can imagine how disappointed I was when after the first rain I felt moisture in the same spot at the floor where the bathroom wall meets the stove cabinet. The trailer was pointed slightly tongue down, so I checked the storage compartment on the port side of the bench and sure enough, found it damp enough that I needed a paper towel to soak it up.
So now I get to embark on what will likely be a prolonged hunt for another leak. Perhaps the A/C gasket needs to be compressed a little more. Perhaps there is a belly bank leak. Frankly, there seems to be no likely suspect at present so this could take a lot of trial and error, with gallons of water strategically directed in varying locations while the trailer is offset, slightly from level, in different directions. I am glad that I am retired - this would be too much for many working people to handle. And I cannot imagine owning a camper that I had to store outdoors and off site where I could not keep as close an eye on its condition.
I also find that my door is not sealing well after only eleven months. A fair amount of rain water gets past the seal if there is wind with the rain. After a brief thunderstorm today, the top of the curtains on the door were wet. There was also water on the lower part of the door and water on the floor from the door to mid-way by the porta-potty door (the trailer was slanted to the port side a little). It took a towel to mop it all up. When the door is closed I can see daylight quite clearly in the area near the porch light
, and little daylight at the top. Let’s face it, the door is just a bad design and despite my attempts to prevent it, I might end up with the warped door from wood rot just like many older Scamps have. I always knew it was best to store the camper in a garage or carport but I am starting to believe it is almost mandatory.
Anyway, that’s the story to date. I am a bit discouraged at present but I know these issues will get worked out and I am so looking forward to some fall