Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #155

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Gordon: Your Scamp is still under warranty, right? So why not have a shop do the repair and get Scamp to pay for it?

/Mr Lynn
Because if all it takes is a $8 tube of ProRv sealant, then that is MUCH easier for me to do than tow the trailer somewhere and deal with the hassle... and if I elect to seal it up with new fiberglass, that is not a repair, its a modification. I doubt they would cover that cost.

But making yet another warranty claim is still a possibility that I have not ruled out.

What I do plan to do is email Kent Eveland and tell him about the issue (again) and why I think this is a design that they should abandon.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #156
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Remove. Clean. Rebed with butyl tape. I found it at a building supply. They use butyl tape to seal roofing steel (called channel drain here). The side of the box said butyl tape. It's different than the RV store stuff. Grey and about 1/8" x 1/2". I doubled it up. Three windows, the water dish and most recently the roof fan. No leaks. I added Lexel caulk to the roof fan to keep the butyl clean. Do it yourself. You'll do a better job. Give Scamp the bill. Raz

P.S. it could be worse, my belly band leaked.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #157
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Sorry to hear about your continuing problems Gordon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #158

Name: Gwendolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
I hope they get back to you in a timely fashion. I have tried to reach the Evelands twice about dealing with issues with my still under warrantee trailer. I called and talked to Wayne finally who advised that I would need to keep calling until I reached the one of the Evelands in person. I keep getting the voicemail which says to leave a message. Apparently there is not a lot of motivation to return calls. So I finally sent an email with the concerns a few days ago and still no response. So as the end of the warrantee period draws near I think I can see how this is going to play out. Hopefully your outcome will be better. Maybe Floyd would be willing to contact them for me? He seems to have really good luck with them.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #159

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
... I have tried to reach the Evelands twice about dealing with issues with my still under warrantee trailer. ...
Well thats not good.

Try kent@scamptrailers.com

I have not had any contact with him since April, but in the past he has been very good about communicating with me.

(BTW, this marks my 1,000th posting on this forum and I pledged to take a break from pushing my ideas and opinions for a while at the 1,000 mark.. so if anyone is looking for me, perhaps a PM would be best).
Old 08-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #160

North Carolina
I have decided to update this thread again because there are a few things to still muse about while I am under warranty. My 365 day warranty period will end on September 25 and at that time I will no longer muse in this thread as a new owner .

Let me mention the least of my problems first because this is one of those things that really should not be a problem at all. I don’t use my shower but if I did, then I might have sooner noticed that the hose between the shower pan drain and the strainer is kinked, apparently because it was too short and/or only one clamp was used. The pump would still get most of the water out of the shower pan but the kink was close to a total blockage. Luckily it’s an easy fix.

As I documented in my first post (with photos in post #5), I had a leak in the roof mounted VanAir powered vent over the bathroom. I found that there was a small gap in the sealant around the perimeter and I thought that was the cause. I added some caulk and it seemed to be OK for a while. However, I recently had the camper parked in my driveway where it was close to level but at just the right angle for water to pool next to the VanAir vent and after a long rain I found the throw rugs on the floor soaked. A little water came in the center of the vent where the fan blade is, but it appears that most of the water ran under the rat fur / insulation to a point in the cabinet where the bathroom wall and stove cabinet meet (layout four). From there it went all over my floor.

After mopping up the water and removing the soaked rugs, I ran the air conditioner to dry out the camper (because the outdoor humidity was high). But instead of it drying it out, even more water came in. A quick look on the roof confirmed that the runoff from the A/C was also pooling next to the same place at the vent. After I raised the tongue, the runoff went in a different direction and the camper started to dry out.

So I pulled the vent out completely. From appearances, Scamp did a proper job when they installed it. While there was a small gap in the sealant, there was also butyl tape which should have prevented leaking even with the sealant gap. Below photo shows the butyl on the just-removed vent. I also found a few extra screw holes, and it appears they they started to install the vent in the wrong orientation (with the drain hole not at the lowest point). I filled these screw holes even though the fresh butyl should have sealed them up anyway. I then cleaned it all up and reinstalled using butyl tape. I tightened the screws in a star pattern and waited a few hours for the butyl to settle in the 90 degree summer sun. The tightened some more, gave the butyl a little more time, and made a final tightening. A little butyl came out evenly around the vent (as it should). I trimmed the butyl and used ProFlex-RV sealant around the perimeter.

IMHO I did a perfect job of installing the VanAir vent, so you can imagine how disappointed I was when after the first rain I felt moisture in the same spot at the floor where the bathroom wall meets the stove cabinet. The trailer was pointed slightly tongue down, so I checked the storage compartment on the port side of the bench and sure enough, found it damp enough that I needed a paper towel to soak it up.

So now I get to embark on what will likely be a prolonged hunt for another leak. Perhaps the A/C gasket needs to be compressed a little more. Perhaps there is a belly bank leak. Frankly, there seems to be no likely suspect at present so this could take a lot of trial and error, with gallons of water strategically directed in varying locations while the trailer is offset, slightly from level, in different directions. I am glad that I am retired - this would be too much for many working people to handle. And I cannot imagine owning a camper that I had to store outdoors and off site where I could not keep as close an eye on its condition.

I also find that my door is not sealing well after only eleven months. A fair amount of rain water gets past the seal if there is wind with the rain. After a brief thunderstorm today, the top of the curtains on the door were wet. There was also water on the lower part of the door and water on the floor from the door to mid-way by the porta-potty door (the trailer was slanted to the port side a little). It took a towel to mop it all up. When the door is closed I can see daylight quite clearly in the area near the porch light, and little daylight at the top. Let’s face it, the door is just a bad design and despite my attempts to prevent it, I might end up with the warped door from wood rot just like many older Scamps have. I always knew it was best to store the camper in a garage or carport but I am starting to believe it is almost mandatory.

Anyway, that’s the story to date. I am a bit discouraged at present but I know these issues will get worked out and I am so looking forward to some fall camping.
Attached Thumbnails
ShowerDrainKink.jpg   Reinstall1.jpg  

Reinstall2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #161
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Sorry to hear you are having continued problems with your trailer, Gordon, but it comes as no surprise. Hopefully, you will find and be able to fix the leak you are currently dealing with.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #162

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
So you now have a mysterious leak (or leaks) that you cannot find, and only a month left on your warranty. It's not a good situation. For ordinary mechanical repairs, you could just take it to a shop and have Scamp reimburse you, but this is a pig in a poke that someone else could spend hours trying to identify and failing. Sounds like you should contact Scamp immediately and ask for their advice. Perhaps they could send out a technician, or refer you to someone they trust, and extend the warranty until the problem is solved.

If I were Scamp Enterprises, I'd invite you out and swap your trailer for a new one. This thread isn't doing anything for their reputation.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #163

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
I agree with Mr Lynn... Scamp needs to make this right.

Send them a link to this forum! I'm also willing to bet that members here would be willing to pepper them with emails and phone calls insisting they honor their warranty.

We might expect this kind of quality control (or lack thereof) in a stick built trailer. Not in a molded FGRV.

Something must be done.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #164

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
I hope they get back to you in a timely fashion. I have tried to reach the Evelands twice about dealing with issues with my still under warrantee trailer. I called and talked to Wayne finally who advised that I would need to keep calling until I reached the one of the Evelands in person. I keep getting the voicemail which says to leave a message. Apparently there is not a lot of motivation to return calls. So I finally sent an email with the concerns a few days ago and still no response. So as the end of the warrantee period draws near I think I can see how this is going to play out. Hopefully your outcome will be better. Maybe Floyd would be willing to contact them for me? He seems to have really good luck with them.
My experience with Scamp has always been mutually respectful with quick responses to any inquiries.
I learned something as a child from a wise old man who said...
" If you've got a problem with my work... tell me, if your happy with it... tell others"
Its really not a matter of luck. They take my calls.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 AM   #165

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Gordon, your pic of the bath vent looks like it may have had enough butyl from the factory, maybe. Don't think the extra holes are your problem though. Hope you can chase down the cause soon. I had a class A that leaked towards the front, was never able to find the source. I do have to say that after reading a slew of posts of sealing/leak problems of the curved doors, I decided to go with a flat door. Good luck to you.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #166
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Musing from a new Scamp owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I learned something as a child from a wise old man who said...
" If you've got a problem with my work... tell me, if your happy with it... tell others"

That approach is reasonable and works well if the wise old man is responsive and/or truly cares about the quality of his work in the first place. Having owned a Scamp myself, I'm not sure that is applicable in this situation. Perhaps the reason you have always had good luck with Scamp and they treat you with respect is because they are aware that you have a greater ability to repair their trailers than they have to construct a trailer free of defects in the first place.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #167

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Gordon, your pic of the bath vent looks like it may have had enough butyl from the factory, maybe. Don't think the extra holes are your problem though. ..
Agreed, but what is throwing me is that is the time when I had the A/C running and the runoff pooled by the vent and nowhere else (that I could see). This quickly led to water in the camper. However it is possible that leak is at least partially from the A/C mounting. It is not uncommon for A/C gaskets to compress in the first year or so requiring the mounting bolts to be re-torqued. So I took the cover off and discovered water in one or both of the screw holes holding the aft side of the cover to the roof. Perhaps tightening the bolts will solve this but I will be checking with Evelands before proceeding. I also noticed the bottom of the A/C is curved as shown in the photo. I don't know of this is normal -anyone have an opinion?

Right now I cannot see under the A/C unit on the roof very well because of bright sun. But from what I can see, it does appear that the screws have penetrated the roof. I am trying to think of a fix that would not require removing the A/C unit but so far I have none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My experience with Scamp has always been mutually respectful with quick responses to any inquiries.
Same for me. My biggest problem is being so far away from Backus. They would take care of me were I to bring the trailer to them. However, here in North Carolina I am the most qualified person to handle 90% of what needs attention. I am no RV expert but I have enough ability, the time and the personal interest in getting it done right. Local “pros” would only have one third of those qualifications. But if the A/C needs to be pulled (see above) then that is above my pay grade, largely because I do not have the required equipment to work on the roof with the A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
…We might expect this kind of quality control (or lack thereof) in a stick built trailer. Not in a molded FGRV….
A product can have both superior design and mediocre manufacturing. The quality of design does not imply any degree of quality control during manufacturing.
Attached Thumbnails
AC leak1.jpg   AC leak2.jpg  

AC leak3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #168

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I also noticed the bottom of the A/C is curved as shown in the photo. I don't know of this is normal -anyone have an opinion?
I am no expert, but that looks all kinds of wrong. I'm not sure how it would impact your situation, but it sure doesn't look right.

You may need to plan a trip to Backus. Or get them to recommend a shop for you to take it to.

Tags
scamp