Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #221

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
scamp trailer

Guys I was in business for 35 years I sold large orders of restaurant supplies and small orders all customers were treated the same. I assure there were instances I regreted ever selling certain customers a single thing.

Now I see some Escape owners here if they had problems they would never admit them because they laid out a ton of money for their unit and are happy. Good for them!

I recently purchased a Scamp I consider their workmanship above and beyond for what I got which means it is far from a Cadilac. I see misdrilled holes and some other problems I know how to either fix them or cover them up.

Are some of the problems frustrating probably but check your layout in money before complaining too much. I for one will never consider 30k to 50k for any sort of egg let alone any other camper. We just don't spend our money like that but good for you if that is what you want.

Just an ordinary Scamp owner!

Robert Beeeeeeeee
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #222

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Three year update

Well, my Scamp is not new anymore, in fact its almost three years old. But I wanted to update this thread because I had some work done at the factory and wanted to report on that. I also made a trip over 4000 miles in 33 days and will provide some feedback from that experience.

Perhaps the best way to summarize my experience at the Scamp factory is to share part of an email I sent to Kent Eveland:

...I had some work done on July 23 and 24 at the Backus factory and I am very happy with the experience. I first had a few conversations some months ago with Jarrod about the possibility of having some fiberglass work done, and also having a furnace installed. He was great about working with my unusual fiberglass repair request and providing accurate estimates as well as working with my unique situation and needs, and with my schedule as I traveled from North Carolina (via New York and other points along a northern vacation route). I am happy with the quality of the work done. Also the cost, while not inexpensive, was very reasonable and I am sure it would have been more expensive to have the same work done near my home. In sum, I wish the factory was not so far away as I would prefer to have future maintenance done there, but the travel distance is a not trivial. Still, I will recommend to people that they have work done at the factory when possible, and when deciding on which brand of camper for a new purchase, to also consider the long-term support that Eveland’s provides to Scamp owners.

The last point is important I think. We can discuss various quality issues with Scamp (or most any brand) campers, but I would also point out that Eveland’s provides support for owners new and old, has been around for a long time and is almost sure to be there for owners for a long time.

As for the trip, it went amazingly smoothly and the Scamp preformed very well and was quite comfortable for my month away from home. I attribute the success of the trip to planning and preparation. I made reservations for twelve places over 29 days, and included a few extra days at a few select places in case of any minor delays. A major delay or breakdown would probably result in added expense from cancellation fees but as my vehicle and camper were well prepared and in good condition it was a minor risk. The last few overnights I left open. One of the places I had planned on but not reserved had closed completely due to flooding sometime after I did the trip planning, so its just as well I stayed flexible for the last leg of the trip.

I had one close call when another driver made a right turn from a left-turn-only lane, almost hitting me, and a few other uncomfortable moments, but defensive driving and a bit of luck saved me from any collisions. I did get a chip in the windshield from a rock I assume, which was repaired under insurance with no deductible (although is still visible).

And I found some water in the floor near the newly installed furnace after I drove a good distance on the interstate through some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen. I never did figure out how the water got it. In retrospect I should have stopped but most of the time I would have driven through the storm about as soon as I could find a good place to stop for a while. Not this time though. In fact there was a flash flood warning the area I drove through. I don't think I have a leak that needs attention but will monitor it in the future.

4036 miles. Average MPG including a few hundred non-towing miles: 15.0

Gas prices (including any discount but not including credit card rebates)
Low - $2.289 (Thank for Virginia for the low gas tax)
High - $3.279 (Paradise, Michigan)
Average price: $2.809
Average price paid based on amount actually purchased: $2.787
Total fuel expense: $747.93
Attached Thumbnails
selfie.jpg   Summer2018TripMap.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #223

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice report and update, Gordon. The fiberglass work... perhaps related to your water heater removal project?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #224

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Nice report and update, Gordon. The fiberglass work... perhaps related to your water heater removal project?
Yes, you have to look at it pretty closely to see there is a "patch" - it almost looks original, and the price was fair. Since labor is by the hour I saved a little money by removing the water heater before I got there, and telling them I needed no insulation or rat fur on the inside. That also allowed me to inspect the inside of the patch. I have since added Reflectix and I also bought some spare rat fur while there so I can use that if I want, but I think its fine as is.

By the way, I spent two days at Jay Cooke State park on the St Louis river near Duluth, MN. They had NO water at all for the entire park. No bathrooms, no showers, no drinking water - nothing except 12 ounce drinks in vending machines. I knew that in advance however so I brought my own water in. It was my first "shower" in the camper in almost three years, and the first time I might have considered using a water heater, but to be honest, with the very limited water I think I would have not. I am however adding this solar shower to my equipment list.

I do recommend Jay Cooke State park. I see they now have drinking water and flush bathrooms available in the park headquarters area, and new bath houses are being built (maybe open next year). Even without water this was one of the highlights of my summer trip.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp