Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #57

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I don't find any of the posts here from new owners to be Scamp bashing, and I own one too. I too agree that it sounds like they're in a big hurry to pump out trailers due to high demand and sloppy work is what becomes of that. This thread is an absolute benefit for folks considering purchase. People wrote with honesty and facts and the truth stands as it does. My trailer is a 2012 and several years down the road and some learning under my belt allowed me to find QC issues to. Lets hope of they have spare time that they nose around forums a bit, and that these folks continue to communicate with scamp so workmanship will improve.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #58

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

Sounds a lot like the poor quality of american autos before the Japanese autos arrived.

Bill
Yup!... same canard!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #59

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Norm, your Scamp is so good because it has age. It was built when pride in a job well done was priority one and no doubt maintained with the same care.

Not so, in fact the new factory brought with it better working conditions and a better product. I can certainly speak to this issue since I have spent more time with more Scamps and Scamp owners than anyone I have ever met. My Scamp is a 2004 (prefire), But I have owned newer ones and much older ones.
Most of the problems encountered would take less time to fix than it takes to write the complaint.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #60

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
But that is me; YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
True Dat!!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #61
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Most of the problems encountered would take less time to fix than it takes to write the complaint.

In reality, one should not have to fix any problem(s) or write any complaint after taking delivery of a new trailer.

I might be as staunch a supporter of Scamp as you are if the Scamp I purchased hadn't had more defects, some major, THAN ANY OTHER TRAILER OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I attribute that to a lack of quality control, and given the fact that I read complaints here from other owners indicates that Scamp is not as fault free as you continually profess. I'm very happy for you that you love your Scamp and think it a great value with any required "fix" taking less time than it would to write a complaint. However, it is indisputable that not every person who owns or has owned a Scamp shares your sentiments.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #62

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
In reality, one should not have to fix any problem(s) or write any complaint after taking delivery of a new trailer.

I might be as staunch a supporter of Scamp as you are if the Scamp I purchased hadn't had more defects, some major, THAN ANY OTHER TRAILER OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I attribute that to a lack of quality control, and given the fact that I read complaints here from other owners indicates that Scamp is not as fault free as you continually profess. I'm very happy for you that you love your Scamp and think it a great value with any required "fix" taking less time than it would to write a complaint. However, it is indisputable that not every person who owns or has owned a Scamp shares your sentiments.

I have never owned a house ,or trailer, or motorized vehicle which didn't require a mod or two when I got it home. I haven't professed that Scamps are fault free, only that they are as fault free as anything made to compete with it.
If I ever found myself in a position wherein everyone else agreed with me, I would see it as an opportunity to reassess my position on the subject.

Every person has different skills, and different expectations and even different sentiments. Some folks don't share my sentiments, fine...
Ahh but some folks do... like Scamps like mine!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #63

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
One should never have to have a new car issue fixed under warranty either .... but we do
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #64

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
One should never have to have a new car issue fixed under warranty either .... but we do
Yes, that is true...but, I believe if I bought a new car today, and it had as many defects as the new Scamp that Gordon bought, it would be returned to the dealer!

Years ago a person could expect to have to return a big-3 American new car to the dealer several times for the corrections of defects. I think the fastest I had to return a new car to the dealer was about 12-hours from the time I drove the car from the dealer, and when I called a wrecker because the car would not go into reverse!

Thank God those day are gone in the auto industry!

Bill
Who loves his old Scamp 13...warts and all!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #65

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have never owned a house ,or trailer, or motorized vehicle which didn't require a mod or two when I got it home....]
I'm not talking about the my modifications in this thread. I am talking about things that broke and needed to be fixed or were manufacturing defects (such as gaps in sealant).

My current tug is 14.5 months old, has 15k miles, and not one problem. And except for some safety recalls and normal maintenance, my two prior cars were also trouble free for as long as I owned them*. And they are quite a bit more complicated than a camping trailer, and not really all that more expensive.

Fortunately the acorn nuts are just for appearance (right?), because I just noticed that one came off the bathroom wall. The Scamp is just over six months old and just under 2900 miles on it.

I’m pretty sure I have leaks 3 and 4 fixed. Waiting for the next shoe to drop and going camping while I wait.

* Full disclosure, I did sell one when it needed a big repair in its seventh year.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #66

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Years ago a person could expect to have to return a big-3 American new car to the dealer several times for the corrections of defects. ....
Thank God those day are gone in the auto industry!
Oh really? GM recalls 1 million trucks, posted nine hours ago: GM recalls 1 million trucks for faulty seat belts
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #67

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh really? GM recalls 1 million trucks, posted nine hours ago: GM recalls 1 million trucks for faulty seat belts
Ha! Donna D. once again you have shown me the errors of my thinking!

My wife, Donna M. is even worse than you in correcting me!

Bill
Old 04-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #68

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
At least I feel like I'm in good company with your wife Bill.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #69

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Quality control issues and manufacturing defects aren't good for cars or camping trailers. Its hurtful. Money doesn't come easy, and it's just darn wrong in any scenario to spend thousands of dollars and find shoddy workmanship.
I would be really angry if I had purchased this trailer and found all these issues before it even had one bug splat on it, no matter what brand. The man has every right to be frustrated. If scamp is a more economical brand, then is this what their customers should expect? I think not. I think workmanship should still reflect a basic level of care appropriate for the products materials and intended use. And as far as fixing a few things up at home that aren't satisfactory? I still think the manufacturer needs to be notified, regardless of repair options taken. If the company is worth it's salt, and I believe scamp is, they would want to know and correct these problems immediately. Bottom line, quality control matters. And if it doesn't, brand image and sales will suffer. Its good to post here for end buyers, but let company know so they have the opportunity for corrective action.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #70

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well said, Wendy.

Tags
scamp