Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #121

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Redefines ad nauseam as well, in a field of dead horses no less!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #122

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
.... You can take some solace in the fact that no one wants to arrest you over your "Leaks".
Hmmm... www.scampileaks.com IS available!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #123
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Gordon, it's standard practice to install windows, vents, and fans using butyl tape and then some will apply caulk to cover the butyl mostly to keep it clean. How are your windows , etc. installed? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #124

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
I guess after reading all of this...I better just leave my 2016 - 13 Deluxe out by the curb for the Monday trash pick up.

So if anyone is looking for an almost new.."SURE TO LEAK" ..too expensive POS..(at least that's what a lot of people are inferring)...then stop by the house and pick it up before waste management gets it...

I am so sad that I don't have as much $$ as Dave...

I am so sad...I just picked it up in Backus on Jan 2nd....and now after reading all of this...oh my...I am surprised that it has even held together this long...oh Whoa is me
I'll be happy to pick it up! Where in Wisconsin? My wife's brother lives in Madison. First dibs!

/Mr Lynn
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #125

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
On a more practical note, have there been any past comparisons on this forum about the differences in construction and QC amongst the various molded-fiberglass trailer makers?

/Mr Lynn
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #126

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
On a more practical note, have there been any past comparisons on this forum about the differences in construction and QC amongst the various molded-fiberglass trailer makers?

/Mr Lynn
Many!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #127

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Gordon, it's standard practice to install windows, vents, and fans using butyl tape and then some will apply caulk to cover the butyl mostly to keep it clean. How are your windows , etc. installed? Raz
You would have to ask the guy at Scamp who put them in, and hope he remembers how he did it

But I can tell you that they like silicone around the side windows.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #128
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You would have to ask the guy at Scamp who put them in, and hope he remembers how he did it

But I can tell you that they like silicone around the side windows.
Are the windows riveted or do they have screws? If screws, removal is not that hard. I did three of mine. After the first one it was easy. I bought butyl tape at a lumber yard. They use it for channel drain roofing. Adding caulk of any kind on the outside is a temporary fix at best.

Oh and we shouldn't use the word silicone. It drives some members to hysterics. Perhaps we should make up a code name , say peanut butter? Raz
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #129

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Are the windows riveted or do they have screws? If screws, removal is not that hard. ..
OK.. but I have no need to do anything with the windows at present.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #130

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Silicone, silicone, silicone, silicone......

There is a place for everything.

I think slathering it all over hoping to seal up a leak is probably a poor a practice. There was a lot on my trailer, but it was not where the leaks were
Also proper prep is good for anything.
A really good waxed surface is not a god surface foe any sealant, by the way.
It is a mess getting off if you did get it stuck in the first place.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #131

North Carolina
After ten months of ownership I recently got back from a trip that was a full three weeks and included 1,850 miles of travel, so I thought it was a good time to update everyone with a list of problems I had with the Scamp.... I used everything in the camper except the shower and the water heater and lived in it for 21 days. So, without further ado, here is the list of problems:
And if you don't see anything in the list that is because everything worked perfectly and the Scamp was a comfortable home. Once I got the initial bugs worked out of the new trailer, and some customization to make it mine, I could really appreciate it. I was glad to be home but I am also ready to go live in the Scamp anytime.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #132

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Quote:
After ten months of ownership I recently got back from a trip that was a full three weeks and included 1,850 miles of travel, so I thought it was a good time to update everyone with a list of problems I had with the Scamp.... I used everything in the camper except the shower and the water heater and lived in it for 21 days. So, without further ado, here is the list of problems:
And if you don't see anything in the list that is because everything worked perfectly and the Scamp was a comfortable home. Once I got the initial bugs worked out of the new trailer, and some customization to make it mine, I could really appreciate it. I was glad to be home but I am also ready to go live in the Scamp anytime.
That is wonderful, Gordon! Where are you in NC? I'm planning to go see the HC-1 next month, and I would love to see your rig for comparison.
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #133

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Gordon - A much deserved trip for you! Yay!!! And here's to many many more wonderful Scamp memories to come.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #134

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxdoc View Post
That is wonderful, Gordon! Where are you in NC? I'm planning to go see the HC-1 next month, and I would love to see your rig for comparison.
I thought the HC-1 factory was in Cali.. but at any rate I am 35 miles North of Charlotte.. if you want to stop by send me a PM.. it will be no problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #135

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Thanks for the Scamp information

Quote:
After ten months of ownership I recently got back from a trip that was a full three weeks and included 1,850 miles of travel, so I thought it was a good time to update everyone... everything worked perfectly and the Scamp was a comfortable home. Once I got the initial bugs worked out of the new trailer, and some customization to make it mine, I could really appreciate it...
Gordon thanks for the information on your new Scamp. I'm researching a Scamp 13 Standard, and you sharing your Scamp experience is really helpful.

This thread is good for the potential problems of a new Scamp and how to resolve them. I appreciate adding this knowledge to my handyman (knowledge) toolbox

Though not a focus of your discussion, I appreciate you sharing that you do not use the built in shower - as I am leaning toward a camper without a wet bath. I also subscribe to Keep it Simple, so hopefully the Scamp Standard (with out wet bath) will have less potential problems.

Thanks again Gordon for this helpful information.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #136

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Gordon..glad to hear it

We also choose to "keep it simple" and went with a 13ft deluxe w/front dinette. This way the back remains a bed (plenty of storage underneath. I also like the wood and for a few $ more..I will enjoy it every time I get in it. Just like kitchen cabinets..some people like white..some peole like wood.

We choose to use the showers in the campgrounds..no fuss with water or black water tanks.

If SCAMP would do a front dinette big bed standard, I bet that would sell like hot cakes.

Each camper has their own needs and I am certain you'll make the best choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Campers.jpg  

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #137

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post

Though not a focus of your discussion, I appreciate you sharing that you do not use the built in shower - as I am leaning toward a camper without a wet bath. I also subscribe to Keep it Simple, so hopefully the Scamp Standard (with out wet bath) will have less potential problems.
I went back and forth on this question before ordering, and after ten months of ownership I have concluded that (for me), the shower option is nice to have for the waterproofing on the walls and floor, and the drain. The shower plumbing is nice to have when and if you need it, but I do not expect to need it often enough to justify having it installed (YMMV). I think in most cases where campground showers are not available, a cold washdown in summer or a portable solar shower in fall/spring will be enough. I have only fired up the water heater one time, and that was only to test it. It remains unused. I have considered adding an 120 VAC electric element but find I can heat water on the stove easy enough, and using hot water from the sink would discourage water conservation. The water heater takes up a lot of storage space.

For now I am not making any mods but I think if I had it to do over again (for me), I would see if Scamp would do the bathroom option (and shower) with cold water only. Or at least leave out the water heater. YMMV.

I also would strongly consider the DLX if I had a do-over.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #138

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
... I also would strongly consider the DLX if I had a do-over.
Is that because of the bed, the extra storage, the appearance, or...?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #139

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
A guy who tent camps, looking at Scamp

Quote:
I went back and forth on this question before ordering... I think in most cases where campground showers are not available, a cold washdown in summer or a portable solar shower in fall/spring will be enough. I have only fired up the water heater one time, and that was only to test it. It remains unused... The water heater takes up a lot of storage space.
Thanks Gordon, for this insight with the wet bath. Your in a great position, because it is easier to modify what you have, than to add wet bath components.

I am leaning toward a basic layout (couch/bunk beds) and add a small portable toilet, for those overnight needs.

Not trying to give too much information (and I am sorry if this is too much), but my wife has very thick hair. I clean the tub drain weekly... lot of hair Can not imagine how a FG Trailer wet bath would handle that challenge - so I am thinking of avoiding it all together, no wet bath and use the CG showers

Thanks again Gordon, for sharing this great information. And thanks to all who are sharing their experiences, really helpful to a tent camp guy - researching Scamp.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #140
Raz

Quote:
Great news on an uneventful trip as far as the Scamp is concerned. Late to the party, we're just back from a few days in the White mountains. One night, just backed into a site. I opened the door to the trailer to find a rather long (1 1/2") screw on the floor. Took me an hour to figure out it was from the knob on the fantastic fan. I must have forgot to tighten it. Stuff like that is common. Be prepared. Raz

Tags
scamp