Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #99

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Scamp makes an affordable product. I think a $10k entry level Scamp is a far better way to go than buying a twenty year old trailer filled someone else's mistakes that will cost the same in the long run. ....
Actually 16 k.

The best scenario is to find a trailer that is around 2-7 years old and that has been well cared for, but whose owner suddenly finds he/she needs to sell due to unforeseen circumstances. That way, the shakedown phase is over, the bugs have been worked out, yet is is not yet so old as to need a lot of expensive work done.

Of course those are the ones that sell in hours.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #100
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
An entry level 13' scamp is less than 10k. That's what I was refering to.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #101

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
An entry level 13' scamp is less than 10k. That's what I was refering to.
That's the base price of $9,995. If you want electric brakes or a screen door or a grey-water tank, or whatever, they're extra:

http://www.scamptrailers.com/images/...14_Catalog.pdf

Reminds me of the days when an oil filter was an extra-cost option on a Chevrolet.

The Scamp 16 with the side dinette and bathroom (Layout 6), which is what we would like, with its Option Package is $15,895. Additional options, like roof fan, AC, furnace, awning, etc., etc. will push the price toward $21k. At that point, a 10-15 year old Scamp or Casita starts to look easier on the wallet. I only wish they were easier to find where we live!

But hey, it's all relative. The first molded fiberglass trailer I looked at on-line was the Oliver. Pretty neat, I thought, with the double-walled hull and all. The Oliver is a brilliant implementation of fiberglass construction, with much of the interior molded as well as the exterior, making for a clean, elegant look with minimal fasteners and attachments to come loose, rattle, and leak. I emailed to ask about the cost. Glad I was sitting down: base price: $45,000!

Well, at this point, for a vehicle we're not going to use every day, or even every month, $10k seems more in line with our needs. Obviously YMMV (as it were).

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #102

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
That's the base price of $9,995. If you want electric brakes or a screen door or a grey-water tank, or whatever, they're extra... Reminds me of the days when an oil filter was an extra-cost option on a Chevrolet...
Not everyone has the same idea about what camping entails. Some of us like the simplicity of a very basic unit. And we appreciate that Scamp still gives that option.

But I agree, a fully-loaded Scamp can get pricey, and takes you close price-wise to some of its popular competitors. Of course, many of those other items you mentioned- AC, awning, furnace- are extra-cost options on the competition, too.

It it were easy, this forum would be dull!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #103

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not everyone has the same idea about what camping entails. Some of us like the simplicity of a very basic unit. And we appreciate that Scamp still gives that option.

But I agree, a fully-loaded Scamp can get pricey, and takes you close price-wise to some of its popular competitors. Of course, many of those other items you mentioned- AC, awning, furnace- are extra-cost options on the competition, too.

It it were easy, this forum would be dull!
If you plan to travel anyway, a fully loaded Scamp13D is free (in a few years).
A couple of years ago, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express... with tax the bill was $114 in a rural small town along the Interstate.

Saving just half of that rate, my fully loaded Scamp was paid for in less than five years with moderate use. Just two years at the full rate.
So it has now paid for itself between 3 and 6 times.

The camper has more accommodations than most motel rooms and you don't have to carry luggage up and down. Motels start looking icky after you get used to your own bed and shower.
We have even found the our camper to be free to tow, although a bit slower than travel without it.

Private vehicles require a little maintenance but they sure beat taking the bus.
Travel trailers require a little maintenance but they sure beat a motel or a tent
All that and the trailer still has value.

Some of the above applies to most fiberglass trailers.

What popular competitor offers anything which compares to a Scamp13D?
Go larger and the choices broaden,but their is an incremental increase in expense and loss in versatility.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #104

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Priceless!

Floyd, that is exactly what got us into camping (or back into camping, in my case) in the first place. When my sister-in-law decided to rent out her condo in San Diego, we started with motels. Not too bad during the recession, but that's over, and rising prices forced us further inland, which kind of defeats the point. That led us to tenting, and then (quickly) to the Scamp. I didn't buy a Scamp because I believed it to be the best RV on the planet. I bought it because it was the very best among the alternatives I could afford. I still think that.

Four nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad, across a 4-lane divided highway from the beach, about $1000. Four nights at South Carlsbad Beach State Park, one flight of stairs from the same beach, $150. Five trips and the Scamp is paid for, including the added gas to tow. And the Scamp is worth more now than I paid for it! Morning coffee on the beach, priceless!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #105

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Living in a Scamp

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I feel compelled to add to the conversation.
My '72 Scamp 13 is one of the first ever built. The first season that I lived in it, I had the original fiberglass cabinets. I found it hard to believe that they cut the outlet boxes out of square. In other words....crooked. A simple job to do right. But they didn't, and I couldn't help seeing it every day. I spent that season being a little ticked-off at that unseen, but imagined, employee, doing a sloppy job on a Friday afternoon. In retrospect, the buck stops at the owners of the company and their lack of supervision, or their lack of interest in quality. They still have a fine product, but obviously, attention to detail is not their strong point.

So, what do I think? I think it's a durable shell that lends itself to your own modifications. I didn't mind gutting out most of it. There wasn't much to loose. Now it's my full time home for 5 months of the year, and it's hard to say if it's become me, or I've become it. But there seems to be a love affair going on here. I wouldn't part with it for anything.

Gordon
Old 04-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #106
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
I understand, Gordon. I had a love/hate relationship with my Scamp. But hate won out, so we got "divorced!" Her replacement is built better, looks better (although I will concede that beauty is in the eye of the beholder), more reliable (not as high maintenance so she gives me far fewer headaches), definitely has a better bed, and her "parents" are a whole hell of a lot easier to deal with than Scamp's were. It's a pleasure to go places with her, with Scamp, not so much. With her, there was always something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #107

Idaho
Registry
CPW,

I'm glad that traveling has become more enjoyable for you. Those Escapes are beautiful.

Maybe, the fact that nothing original remains inside my Scamp but the closet (and who knows how long that will last), has given me the realization that there's not much left to go wrong that I can blame Scamp for. I can blame myself, now.

If you can think of an old Scamp as a "Handyman's Special", then it's OK. But, I too, would be unhappy if I bought a new one with unacceptable flaws.

Gordon
Old 04-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #108

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I understand, Gordon. I had a love/hate relationship with my Scamp. But hate won out, so we got "divorced!" Her replacement is built better, looks better (although I will concede that beauty is in the eye of the beholder), more reliable (not as high maintenance so she gives me far fewer headaches), definitely has a better bed, and her "parents" are a whole hell of a lot easier to deal with than Scamp's were. It's a pleasure to go places with her, with Scamp, not so much. With her, there was always something wrong.
For a second there Carl I had flashbacks of my EX
Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #109
CPW

Flori-duh!
Gordon,
I forced to be totally honest, while the flaws were many and could have been avoided had Scamp had any type of quality control, I begrudgingly addressed all the flaws which should not have been there in the first place. But there were two things that could not be addressed. First, to add a second axle as Merle did would have been a major reconstruction. I wasn't "mentally comfortable" with only one axle. Second, with the bed configuration in the 19 deluxe, my significant other would always have to climb over me if she wanted to get up in the middle of the night. Plus, foam pads as a mattress suck when you want to sleep well and not wake up with aches and pains, especially if you are middle age or older.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #110
CPW

Flori-duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
For a second there Carl I had flashbacks of my EX

Sorry, Dave. Didn't mean to remind you of any unpleasant moments in your past!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #111

Name: JD
Alabama
I bought a 1985 16' Scamp kit.
Really the only thing hinges I was able to use was the idea, shell, and back half of the frame.
The floors go away due to leaks (deserved or otherwise)
Now I am the only one to blame for any problems on my "Scamp".
I have around $7000 in my rig and it has the features I wanted and whatever problems I designed and built in.
I don't think I could have bought what we wanted with twin beds and front bath anyway so I guess you get what you pay for if you are lucky.
Our setup is heavier than the original but it is lots stronger too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #112

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Well...after reading all of this

I guess after reading all of this...I better just leave my 2016 - 13 Deluxe out by the curb for the Monday trash pick up.

So if anyone is looking for an almost new.."SURE TO LEAK" ..too expensive POS..(at least that's what a lot of people are inferring)...then stop by the house and pick it up before waste management gets it...

I am so sad that I don't have as much $$ as Dave...

I am so sad...I just picked it up in Backus on Jan 2nd....and now after reading all of this...oh my...I am surprised that it has even held together this long...oh Whoa is me

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp