Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #161

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Sorry to hear you are having continued problems with your trailer, Gordon, but it comes as no surprise. Hopefully, you will find and be able to fix the leak you are currently dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #162

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
So you now have a mysterious leak (or leaks) that you cannot find, and only a month left on your warranty. It's not a good situation. For ordinary mechanical repairs, you could just take it to a shop and have Scamp reimburse you, but this is a pig in a poke that someone else could spend hours trying to identify and failing. Sounds like you should contact Scamp immediately and ask for their advice. Perhaps they could send out a technician, or refer you to someone they trust, and extend the warranty until the problem is solved.

If I were Scamp Enterprises, I'd invite you out and swap your trailer for a new one. This thread isn't doing anything for their reputation.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #163

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I agree with Mr Lynn... Scamp needs to make this right.

Send them a link to this forum! I'm also willing to bet that members here would be willing to pepper them with emails and phone calls insisting they honor their warranty.

We might expect this kind of quality control (or lack thereof) in a stick built trailer. Not in a molded FGRV.

Something must be done.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #164

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
I hope they get back to you in a timely fashion. I have tried to reach the Evelands twice about dealing with issues with my still under warrantee trailer. I called and talked to Wayne finally who advised that I would need to keep calling until I reached the one of the Evelands in person. I keep getting the voicemail which says to leave a message. Apparently there is not a lot of motivation to return calls. So I finally sent an email with the concerns a few days ago and still no response. So as the end of the warrantee period draws near I think I can see how this is going to play out. Hopefully your outcome will be better. Maybe Floyd would be willing to contact them for me? He seems to have really good luck with them.
My experience with Scamp has always been mutually respectful with quick responses to any inquiries.
I learned something as a child from a wise old man who said...
" If you've got a problem with my work... tell me, if your happy with it... tell others"
Its really not a matter of luck. They take my calls.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 AM   #165

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gordon, your pic of the bath vent looks like it may have had enough butyl from the factory, maybe. Don't think the extra holes are your problem though. Hope you can chase down the cause soon. I had a class A that leaked towards the front, was never able to find the source. I do have to say that after reading a slew of posts of sealing/leak problems of the curved doors, I decided to go with a flat door. Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #166

Florida
Registry
Musing from a new Scamp owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I learned something as a child from a wise old man who said...
" If you've got a problem with my work... tell me, if your happy with it... tell others"

That approach is reasonable and works well if the wise old man is responsive and/or truly cares about the quality of his work in the first place. Having owned a Scamp myself, I'm not sure that is applicable in this situation. Perhaps the reason you have always had good luck with Scamp and they treat you with respect is because they are aware that you have a greater ability to repair their trailers than they have to construct a trailer free of defects in the first place.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #167

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Gordon, your pic of the bath vent looks like it may have had enough butyl from the factory, maybe. Don't think the extra holes are your problem though. ..
Agreed, but what is throwing me is that is the time when I had the A/C running and the runoff pooled by the vent and nowhere else (that I could see). This quickly led to water in the camper. However it is possible that leak is at least partially from the A/C mounting. It is not uncommon for A/C gaskets to compress in the first year or so requiring the mounting bolts to be re-torqued. So I took the cover off and discovered water in one or both of the screw holes holding the aft side of the cover to the roof. Perhaps tightening the bolts will solve this but I will be checking with Evelands before proceeding. I also noticed the bottom of the A/C is curved as shown in the photo. I don't know of this is normal -anyone have an opinion?

Right now I cannot see under the A/C unit on the roof very well because of bright sun. But from what I can see, it does appear that the screws have penetrated the roof. I am trying to think of a fix that would not require removing the A/C unit but so far I have none.

Quote:
My experience with Scamp has always been mutually respectful with quick responses to any inquiries.
Same for me. My biggest problem is being so far away from Backus. They would take care of me were I to bring the trailer to them. However, here in North Carolina I am the most qualified person to handle 90% of what needs attention. I am no RV expert but I have enough ability, the time and the personal interest in getting it done right. Local “pros” would only have one third of those qualifications. But if the A/C needs to be pulled (see above) then that is above my pay grade, largely because I do not have the required equipment to work on the roof with the A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
…We might expect this kind of quality control (or lack thereof) in a stick built trailer. Not in a molded FGRV….
A product can have both superior design and mediocre manufacturing. The quality of design does not imply any degree of quality control during manufacturing.
Attached Thumbnails
AC leak1.jpg   AC leak2.jpg  

AC leak3.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #168

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I also noticed the bottom of the A/C is curved as shown in the photo. I don't know of this is normal -anyone have an opinion?
I am no expert, but that looks all kinds of wrong. I'm not sure how it would impact your situation, but it sure doesn't look right.

You may need to plan a trip to Backus. Or get them to recommend a shop for you to take it to.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #169
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would instantly send the curved AC pictures to Scamp and ask why the bottom of the AC is not flat. The only reason I can think of is a bad installation/installer. Every AC I've seen is flat on the bottom.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #170

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That approach is reasonable and works well if the wise old man is responsive and/or truly cares about the quality of his work in the first place. Having owned a Scamp myself, I'm not sure that is applicable in this situation. Perhaps the reason you have always had good luck with Scamp and they treat you with respect is because they are aware that you have a greater ability to repair their trailers than they have to construct a trailer free of defects in the first place.

I appreciate the compliment, but it doesn't complement my comment.
I said " Its really not a matter of luck".

It is clear to me why you could not be sure of the applicability of the old adage in this situation.
I can't imagine a business or a product which has not or does not occasionally become afflicted with an inconsolable customer...
Your ability to sell such a disappointment at such an amazing price in such a short time, (like 45minutes) does say something about the build quality and reputation of the single most successful fiberglass trailer manufacturer now extant.
And so the question remains to a new generation, whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous inconsolability or to take up arms against a puddle of troubles! ( for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #171

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I am no expert, but that looks all kinds of wrong. I'm not sure how it would impact your situation, but it sure doesn't look right.

You may need to plan a trip to Backus. Or get them to recommend a shop for you to take it to.
I would guess that the curve is no issue but I would love to see it compared to other installs that have stood the test of time (a few years at least).

No, not going back to Backus for this. Over 2,600 miles round trip, over $530 in gas alone (not counting camping fees, tolls, etc. Not going to happen. Local shop is looking more like it but, as a rule, RV places don't know fiberglass repair and fiberglass people don't know A/C removal and install.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #172

North Carolina
Quote:
I can't imagine a business or a product which has not or does not occasionally become afflicted with an inconsolable customer......
or to take up arms against a puddle of troubles!..
I surly hope you are not referring to me in particular, for I have been a very reasonable and patient customer, and have in fact saved Evelands a good amount of money by doing repairs (for things that should not have needed repair) myself, and accepting sub-standard cosmetics.

And I also hope you are not implying that puddles on my floor are a trivial problem.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #173

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Puddles on the floor are the reason so many fiberglass RV have rotten floors (stickies too).
In my opinion if the AC causes the roof to sag and puddle the seal must eventually leak.
It would seem to me that the roof is not reinforced well enough for the load of the unit.
I understand that the roofs are reinforced for this, but this does not seem to be right to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #174

Registry
Quote:
I would guess that the curve is no issue but I would love to see it compared to other installs that have stood the test of time (a few years at least).

No, not going back to Backus for this. Over 2,600 miles round trip, over $530 in gas alone (not counting camping fees, tolls, etc. Not going to happen. Local shop is looking more like it but, as a rule, RV places don't know fiberglass repair and fiberglass people don't know A/C removal and install.
There can be no question that the curved door as designed does not meet the same standard as a flat RV door.

The curved door without further engineering would surely be a problem if it were a submarine or a space craft! It is however adequate and iconic to the genre and adds character and an endearing quality which more than offsets its slight imperfections. The replacement of the stock latch with an adjustable RV latch has proven to be an improvement worth the effort.

The curved door is fiberglass and so responds to heat and cold or direct sunlight more than the flat door. I responded to the problem by designing a new seal which proved satisfactory to me for many years and which has been recently improved upon at the factory.
Casita still uses the curved design on its two smaller trailers but chose to go with a Flat RV door for the 17.
Aesthetics are subjective as are performance standards, but objective results must go to the flat RV door. It is an outsourced industry standard item whereas the curved door is an in house product. Mine has withstood the test of time 12+ years and has in fact a better seal than when delivered.
I have seen many flat RV doors which could not stand the test of time, but they are fairly easily replaced and work well before they start to deteriorate.

While companies like Lear have perfected the curved door, I suspect that the cost of purchase from them would be prohibitive.

It is often said that the good is the enemy of the perfect... I like the curved design
Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #175

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I appreciate the compliment, but it doesn't complement my comment.
I said " Its really not a matter of luck".

It is clear to me why you could not be sure of the applicability of the old adage in this situation.
I can't imagine a business or a product which has not or does not occasionally become afflicted with an inconsolable customer...
Your ability to sell such a disappointment at such an amazing price in such a short time, (like 45minutes) does say something about the build quality and reputation of the single most successful fiberglass trailer manufacturer now extant.
And so the question remains to a new generation, whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous inconsolability or to take up arms against a puddle of troubles! ( for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest)

It's pretty bad when someone perceives that which is meant as sarcasm to be a compliment.
And I would ask what makes Scamp "the single most successful fiberglass trailer manufacturer." Is it quantity sold, because last time I checked McDonald's had over X Bazillion sold, but that doesn't mean that the quality of their food is outstanding, it just means they have made a lot of money selling a questionably inferior product.
Floyd, I have known you for some time and from face-to-face conversations I know you care about the quality of your work, unless I have misinterpreted your projected work ethic. Can you honestly say that if Floyd Clark were to take control in Backus instead of Kent Eveland there would be no QC changes made? I am beginning to believe if three trailers in a row leaving the lot in Backus were to fall off their frames because the shell had never been bolted to the frame your response would be that Scamp has no more problems than any other manufacturer.
Based in my experience, that is not the case. I replaced my Scamp with an Escape, that is no secret. It has given me no problems whatsoever. And I have to wonder how come I know so many people who have sold their Scamp and bought a Casita, a Bigfoot, an Escape, or fill in the blank with a brand of your choice. The curious thing is that I do not know anyone who has chosen to replace SOB with a Scamp (a tent, maybe). However, I will admit that your compulsive/blind loyalty to Scamp is admirable; there is no question as to what you believe.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #176

North Carolina
Quote:
The curved door without further engineering would surely be a problem if it were a submarine or a space craft! It is however adequate and iconic to the genre and adds character and an endearing quality which more than offsets its slight imperfections. ...
A few photos of my "adequate" door with it's eleven month old (new design) seal letting in the daylight, and adding to my puddle of troubles:
(Part of the package being prepared for Kent Eveland)
Attached Thumbnails
DoorSeal_11Months_HandleSide.jpg   DoorSeal_11Months_HingeSide.jpg  

DoorSeal_11Months_Top.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #177

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It's pretty bad when someone perceives that which is meant as sarcasm to be a compliment.
And I would ask what makes Scamp "the single most successful fiberglass trailer manufacturer." Is it quantity sold, because last time I checked McDonald's had over X Bazillion sold, but that doesn't mean that the quality of their food is outstanding, it just means they have made a lot of money selling a questionably inferior product.
Floyd, I have known you for some time and from face-to-face conversations I know you care about the quality of your work, unless I have misinterpreted your projected work ethic. Can you honestly say that if Floyd Clark were to take control in Backus instead of Kent Eveland there would be no QC changes made? I am beginning to believe if three trailers in a row leaving the lot in Backus were to fall off their frames because the shell had never been bolted to the frame your response would be that Scamp has no more problems than any other manufacturer.
Based in my experience, that is not the case. I replaced my Scamp with an Escape, that is no secret. It has given me no problems whatsoever. And I have to wonder how come I know so many people who have sold their Scamp and bought a Casita, a Bigfoot, an Escape, or fill in the blank with a brand of your choice. The curious thing is that I do not know anyone who has chosen to replace SOB with a Scamp (a tent, maybe). However, I will admit that your compulsive/blind loyalty to Scamp is admirable; there is no question as to what you believe.

While your opinion was gained through extensive objective experience , mine is only compulsive blind loyalty.
In case you missed it again... that WAS sarcasm!

There can hardly be a question as to what you believe either.
Only our motives can now be suspect!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #178

Registry
Quote:
A few photos of my "adequate" door with it's eleven month old (new design) seal letting in the daylight, and adding to my puddle of troubles:
(Part of the package being prepared for Kent Eveland)
So you think it was you to whom the aforementioned paraphrase referred?
I did anticipate that possibility in spite of the absence of ambiguity.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #179

Florida
Registry
Musing from a new Scamp owner

Quote:
Only our motives can now be suspect!

I have no motive other than to share my bad experience with others so that maybe they won't make the same mistake or will understand they are not the only one frustrated with shoddy quality. Hence, no financial gain. I am not earning income by fixing or refurbishing them.
I think I can recognize sarcasm, as well as a whole lot of other things.
Oh, and be careful where you roll. You never know what you might roll in.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #180

Registry
My thanks to this thread.
As a result,I just spent an enjoyable ten minutes reading Spiro Agnew quotes, laughing all the while and learning to appreciate his wisdom!

Tags
scamp