musty mold smells - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Arrow musty mold smells

Found a 2002 16 scamp trailer (no deluxe wood finish and no bathroom) but it has strong musty (moldy?) smell. I know how to prevent this but can it be eliminated once there? It is often damp when camping and that will bring out any residual smells that remain. Can this be dealt with sufficiently or should I rule out this trailer?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A little expensive but it works.
Kanberra Gel - Home

Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have used ODOBAN Disinfecting deodorizer/cleaner with excellent results in trailers, houses and even a few really bad sick rooms. It's available at commercial cleaning suppliers and also in some Walmart stores.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Check for leaks. Check floors for rot, under front and rear windows and under frig. vent. Bad floors will give a preistant musty odor that won't go away. Mold can build up in closed spaces, cabinets and under the benches just from condensation if kept closed while in storage.
For clean up and treatment, I use Mold Away from the big box stores. Then get the humidity down with a dehumidifier. Stay away from Fabreeze it only covers up the problem and becomes a problem itself. Vinegar, baking soda and a good carpet cleaner and vaccum will freshen thing up. An Ozone generator can also get rid of odors.
Usually the musty odor is not the problem it is a result of a problem.
Eddie
Old 09-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Our trailer smelled like that when we got it two years ago, esp if it was closed up for a while. After a really good clean, put in new cushions and window coverings, and it is much better. We run a small fan all winter and I keep a couple of sachets of lavender in cupboards and on shelves, and we always leave a window partly open.
BUT someone the other day said that wood rot will smell that way. I know we have some, and that is on the list for this winter, then it will hopefully be completely gone.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Grant
Trailer: Escape 17b 2006
British Columbia
Tilex

I once used Tilex mold and mildew remover. Sprayed mold and mildew remover everywhere. Scrubbed all surfaces afterward with disinfectant. Sprayed again and left sit closed up for days. Repainted the walls with paint recommended from these forums. It seemed to have worked. My next step was a commercial ozone generator but I did not have to go that far. You have to kill and remove the mold not just cover it up.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My previous post about Kanberra Gel - Home kills mold.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Mine was a rotted floor. We used rot knot for the salvageable area, and the rest was wood pudding- we had to replace it with fresh wood. It was sandwiched between 2 fiberglass layers, so that had to be cut open and repaired as well. Took a lot of time but was well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Oh, we also run dehumidifier as much as possible, including damprid buckets and a tiny renewable eva-dry

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV