Musty Smell - how to remove?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
Musty Smell - how to remove??

We've stripped everything out of our UHaul VT 16ft - and washed inside completely closed it up for a couple of days with the windows partially opened and when we returned we still had a musty smell. Anyone have any thoughts on how to eliminate the smell? NO rugs, no cushions, no header material and AC filter has been cleaned as well as the sinks and stove top removed. We've even eliminated the stove vent. We'll go back and wash inside, again. No insulation in this trailer. Thx
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dehumidifier and wash down the inside with Lysol to get rid of or to prevent mold.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Arizona
We live in AZ so it's pretty dry out here. Yep - washed it down with bleach/water which is pretty strong. I'm alergic to mold and the smell is - different - if you know what I mean. We're thinking it may be the rubber electical cord housed under the seat or maybe it is under the bathroom floor. The drain was covered by the previous owners. We'll try the lysol. Thx
Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have had to go as far as painting over all of the wood and non-gel coated fiberglass surfaces with KILZ primer/sealer to get rid of some smells. In this worse case an animal had died inside an rv that was then closed up for several months.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Were they smokers? Unbelievable how dirty the cleaning rag gets from (409)ing the smoke residue off.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I bought a 4-Runner 5 years ago it was smoked in. We had it cleaned and cleaned but the stink is in all the heater tubes it is an oil from the smokes. We buy orange sented things from Home Depot they are placed under the seats.
Good luck getting rid of the smell.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I'm in the process of taking all the "removable" wood out of my Scamp. Particle board cabinets and doors really retain the smell. My cushions had been replaced at one time and are in very nice shape but they reek of "must" so I'm buying new ones.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Yep, what Bob Miller said. I've found that using a stain blocking primer followed by topcoat is the only way to get rid of that smell from permeable surfaces. I'ms surprised you have that issue being in AZ. I'm with you, can't tollerate that smell--it gives me headaches. Good luck.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #9

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We bought some stuff called Kanberra Gel to put in ours. It comes in a container with holes in the lid and has a very pleasant smell that got rid of that musty odor we couldn't seem to eliminate despite the same type of deep cleaning you did.

I luv the stuff and keep one in the head and in the main room of Li'l Scamp as well. No more stinky. The one in the head has been in there since October and it's still doing it's job. We've also given some to our son for the cat's room and to my sis-in-law for Gramma's bedroom.

Stuff's not cheap, but it works. Amazon has the cheapest prices I've found so far. One of these days I'm going to spring for the big refill container to refill the jars when the smell gives out. I'm thinking those plastic Chinese containers would work if you poke holes in the lids could work, too.

As usual...YMMV.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Try pouring vinegar in a pie pan and leaving it in you closed up Scamp for a day or two.
It worked for me.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold12 View Post
or maybe it is under the bathroom floor. The drain was covered by the previous owners. We'll try the lysol. Thx
Are you saying the toilet was removed and the black tank was "covered" up? Was the blank tank removed? I think your musty smell might be coming from there if you have done every thing you say you have.

As well as when drain pipes dry up, they can smell pretty nasty. If you could poor water down the drains and the smell goes away then that's the culprit. Of course you will have to drain the grey tank. I understand it's been cold there in AZ. But anyway, that is what I would investigate first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
My cushions had been replaced at one time and are in very nice shape but they reek of "must" so I'm buying new ones.

I washed my foam and covers in my front loading washing machine, they came out great. Saves $$$ over buying new ones. And if you have a large capacity front loader it really isn't hard to do. There is a great video on how to get the foam back into the cushion covers if you need it, let me know. I will have to search for it. But it cuts the frustration of shoving the foam back into the covers. frankly the video is brilliant! You would know what I mean if you ever did this project without knowing the tips this video provides.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post

Are you saying the toilet was removed and the black tank was "covered" up? Was the blank tank removed? I think your musty smell might be coming from there if you have done every thing you say you have.

As well as when drain pipes dry up, they can smell pretty nasty. If you could poor water down the drains and the smell goes away then that's the culprit. Of course you will have to drain the grey tank. I understand it's been cold there in AZ. But anyway, that is what I would investigate first!

I washed my foam and covers in my front loading washing machine, they came out great. Saves $$$ over buying new ones. And if you have a large capacity front loader it really isn't hard to do. There is a great video on how to get the foam back into the cushion covers if you need it, let me know. I will have to search for it. But it cuts the frustration of shoving the foam back into the covers. frankly the video is brilliant! You would know what I mean if you ever did this project without knowing the tips this video provides.
Couple things. We cleaned all around the bathroom. We believe that area had never been thoroughly cleaned. Bleach is amazing stuff. We are guessing the previous owners porta potty had some issues.
2nd: if you need to put your cushions back into the covers put them in a small trash bag, use a vacuum to suck the air out which shrinks the cushion, slide in and release. The foam will inflate, and you can cut the bag out once in place. I saw this on YouTube and it works great.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Try pouring vinegar in a pie pan and leaving it in you closed up Scamp for a day or two.
It worked for me.
John
Thanks, but we now know it was/is the bathroom and under it. Bleach first, power wash next, and if we need to paint with kilts, that should take care of it.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Did you take the covers off the foam and wash it separately? I thought about going to a laundry-mat with huge machines and put them in together without taking the covers off.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I found washing foams with Cascade Dishwasher Detergent best. Low sudsing and contains bleach. I put them in the bathtub one at a time...rinced well and rolled 'em in old beach towels. Air dry on a rack for several days.
I also got some Concrobium Mold Control Eliminate, Clean & Prevent Mold with Concrobium Mold Removal Products...but it's too cold outside to use it yet.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just so everybody knows... UHauls don't have gray or black water tanks. The gray water goes out a drain on the side underneath and needs to be captured or routed to a ground drain. The porta-potti collects the black water.

Glad you found the source of the smell!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: Helite
Invite your friends over for a Chilly during the Super Bowl and by the end of the game you will welcome the musty smell back.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Hay Art, That's a Gas.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Hey Art, how are Jerry and Elaine doing?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
We've had success in eliminating nasty odors in the trailer, car and elsewhere with "Odoban" products. Their website is OdoBan® - Odor Eliminator Products.
Marv Watson is offline   Reply With Quote