My converter AGAIN! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Good thing I am in Livingston where I got the converter replaced...

Again it is powering the outlets and the AC, but not the lights, the lights are draining the battery, does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? Since I am in TX again I am going to take it back where they replaced it, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. MM
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Are the lights on a different circuit? Is there a broken wire in there somewhere? (I know, this will take some time to figure out.) I would start by using a volt meter to test that everything is getting power that should be. Maybe you can track it down that way. Also double check that you don't have a burned out fuse.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Fuse would be my first thought. Check all your 12v fuses.

Even in the Motorhome, my converter is unplugged and rarely used. I unplugged it, put in a small battery charger for when I am hooked up and leave it at that.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Monica....
Do a simple test with a voltmeter at the battery. Plug in the trailer so that the converter is on and then go to the top of the battery and test to see if you are getting about 13.5 +/- volts to see if the converter is getting to the battery while charging..... If "No" it may be a simple fuse or circuit breaker type fuse that is usually very near the positive post of the battery. Work back to the converter from there for a problem if it's not the fuse and you are not getting a charge. Also be sure the ground wire on the battery is doing it's job as that could be a cause too.
Hope this helps
Joe

Gina: we where typing at the same time but have pretty much the same thought (the fuse) and i like your battery charger idea....nice and simple
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Monica, while you are checking fuses -- there are two that are inline to the battery. On our 2001 16' SD Scamp one is outside by the battery and one is inside the closet by the front floor.

If you find a blown fuse, and since the same problem has happened before, you'll want to find out why the fuse is blowing. Just replacing the fuse won't solve the problem.

Electrical problems that appear and disappear can be the hardest to find. I hope yours is found easily and quickly!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Well, took it in today...the converter is shot. The manufacturer is covering it and no longer makes it, so I get an upgrade, no cost to me but the $95 labor. The owner of the shop where I got it done said the fact that it is no longer available gives him the idea that it was never a good converter and they know it, plus the fact that the manufacturer is replacing it with no questions asked. So I will take it back in a few days when the new one comes in and have it replaced again. Thanks for all your help, just wanted to update you all...MM
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Monica- I own a 2007 Scamp 13' deluxe with the same converter you have in your trailer. Mine crapped out a year or so ago and when I called Scamp they stated they could no longer get that model but could send me a replacement circuit card. I opted out of that idea and instead had Scamp send me the new converter model they are now using. I can attest, the orginal unit was junk and I am very pleased with the replacement unit. I works great, keeps my battery fully charged and my 12V lights have NEVER been this bright. Consider yourself lucky that you are getting a different converter, you'll be happy you did. Good luck, Ron
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Monica- I own a 2007 Scamp 13' deluxe with the same converter you have in your trailer. Mine crapped out a year or so ago and when I called Scamp they stated they could no longer get that model but could send me a replacement circuit card. I opted out of that idea and instead had Scamp send me the new converter model they are now using. I can attest, the orginal unit was junk and I am very pleased with the replacement unit. I works great, keeps my battery fully charged and my 12V lights have NEVER been this bright. Consider yourself lucky that you are getting a different converter, you'll be happy you did. Good luck, Ron
Ron,
Was your old one an American CS2000XL? Mine just crapped out (upper heat sink broke off) and I'll either need a new circuit board or might go to a different converter. What model do you have now?

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #9

Yes John, it was an American. I now have the Progressive Dynamics model PD9254C unit and it really works well. I believe this is the same model that Scamp now uses since they can't get the American converter any longer( that's a big break for new Scamp purchasers--IMHO).
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #10

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
RSchleder:

We are the owner of a 2010 19' Scamp, picked up this spring, and have what we think is a converter problem. This is what Scamp says:

To check your converter disconnect the battery on the trailer, which shouldn’t be plugged into the tow vehicle. Plug in the shore power and see if the twelve volt lights work. If they do your converter is working. If they don’t it’s not.

Kent Eveland

Of coarse the Scamp is in Iowa and we are in Wisconsin so I can't try it and I was suppose to read the manual while we were out camping and summarize it for someone who thinks sticking a "swimming noodle" inbetween the trailer and the awning is a great idea. I will be posting his picture later in "Saftey Tips for Washing the Top of a 5th Wheel" from a former Safety Director.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Yes John, it was an American. I now have the Progressive Dynamics model PD9254C unit and it really works well. I believe this is the same model that Scamp now uses since they can't get the American converter any longer( that's a big break for new Scamp purchasers--IMHO).
Ron,
How did you convert to that model? Did you plug it into an AC outlet and just bypass the 12V side of the American unit, or do you somehow use it while keeping the American panel in place?
I'm thinking of going that route, although they also have a PD4000 power center that includes a panel too.
I'm just trying to figure out what I'll need to do to be able to use the PD9245C if I get that unit.
Looks like Scamp shows a PD9130 on their parts page, but the 9245 seems to have the "charge wizard" built in already.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #12

John, I could be mistaken about my current Progressive model number as I installed it a couple of years ago. I did purchase it from Scamp and I can check the model number tomorrow if you'd like. The progressive model I have comes complete with it's own circuit panel so I totally removed the American unit, enlarged the opening in the wood panel to accommodate the wider progressive unit, and wired it according to the wiring diagram. This unit does a great job of keeping my battery charged when we're going down the road as well as when we're plugged in with a land line. We've been very pleased with the Progressive unit as it's worked flawlessly since the day I installed it. Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
Good thing I am in Livingston where I got the converter replaced...

Again it is powering the outlets and the AC, but not the lights, the lights are draining the battery, does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? Since I am in TX again I am going to take it back where they replaced it, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. MM
I had energy problems which turned out to be the charger. I'm a newbie at this, But on my trailer, the charger works in conjunction with the converter to recharged the battery. Everything worked on shore power, but once we unplugged and tried to hook up the trailer, the battery went dead.

It took my trailer guy a bit of time to find the problem. We had the charger replaced, and all was well.

Just a thought.