My first leak... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
It has been really storming here in Livingston, TX. I have found my first leak and I am convinced it is the seal around the fantastic fan. I know this is something I can fix (if the weather permits) cheaply and easily. Here is a pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	19760

The dark spots are the wet spots, not leaking too bad and there is a bit of a leak right on the fantastic fan wooden border. I am pretty sure (98%) that it is the seal to the fantastic fan. What I need from you all is to know what do I seal it with? I figure it has to be a dryer day than this one, but is there any other info I need to do this myself? I have never seen the roof of my Scamp, only owned it less than a month, but really want to do this myself, I spent $1200 on my Scamp today (bearings packed, breaks inspected, WDH, Sway bar and new converter), so I am anxious to know what and how to do this myself. Any pics, help/advice would be appreciated. What do I use for a sealant? What NOT to do, etc. Hoping for a break in the weather tomorrow to get this done as it is right over the bed...thanks again guys!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Butyl tape around the opening and then top off the top of the screws and around the exterior with a bead of silicon.

See this one for the butyl tape application

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can't watch the video now, so sorry if I'm repeating, but you'll need to remove the vent from the roof in order to re-seal it if it is leaking. After you remove it you'll see that it has a flange around the outside. You take butyl tape and place it on the flange (cover the whole flange - the part that will rest on the trailer roof), then reinstall the vent and re-fasten it to the roof.

I would speak strongly against using any silicone for sealant. In my opinion it does not do a very good job, and it is the devil to remove (and even if/when you do manage to get it off, the contaminating residue has about a 300 year half-life ). If you use open-ended rivets to install it (you can also use sealed end rivets or machine screws with nuts) then you would want to put a dab of caulk over the rivet's hole, but I would suggest something like polyurethane or perhaps polysulfide, not silicone. Other fasteners take sealant under them, not on top.

I also am of the opinion that you don't need any bead of caulk around the outside of the flange if you've used butyl (or caulk) under the flange. That's where it really counts.

Raya
(sorry if I seem to opinionated; of course you don't have to take my recommendations either )
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote