My front bunk stinks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I think a smoker (of what all, I don't know) lived this this trailer. There is an odor. I put bowls of vinegar around. And a bowl of baking soda. And a little bowl of coffee (not fresh ground, as I didn't have any cheap stuff around). Still stinks.

Today, I started doing heavy duty cleaning of the ensolite to remove the grime. TSP, Bon Ami, water, vinegar. The grime is coming off (very satisfying!). But while I was cleaning the bunk area, it became very clear that the odor is coming from the top bunk. The rest of the cushions seem okay. All the cushions were recently recovered, but I assume it is hard to wash the foam or upholstery of the top one, so it didn't get washed before getting recovered.

I sprayed my favorite fabric deodorizer (vodka) mixed with some vinegar and grapefruit seed extract (all things that kill germs). I won't know if it worked for a few days, since it will take a few days for it to dry in this wet weather.

In the meantime, I want to figure out what to do if this doesn't work. The bunk doesn't smell moldy. It just smells foul. I don't want to use something like Febreze or anything toxic. Am I just looking at having to take the whole upper bunk apart and buying some new foam?
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Amy,

Just thinking out loud here, but one reason the front bunk might smell worse or different than anything else in the trailer is that often people remove them to storage in order to have more room in the front of the trailer. And maybe it was not "good" storage...

If it were me, I would first remove the bunk from the trailer. That's six screws and about five minutes (two hinges, three screws each, on top of the mini-shelf it's mounted to).

Next I might try leaving it to air on a sunny, windy day (like you are going to get any of those any time soon!).

But really, I would probably just remove the foam (there is a zipper on the long straight side on my bunk cushion) and wash it or replace it with new foam. You can do the "grape stomp" in a bathtub or on a tarp on the lawn; or, I have heard Robin G. say that she washed hers in a machine (I would guess a non-agitator machine, but I don't remember).

Once you have the foam out, you should be able to see how to disassemble the rest of the bunk cushion. I would guess there's a wooden stiffener somehow attached to the fabric. If you could separate those two, you could wash the fabric.

You might get lucky with just washing the foam, but ... wouldn't it be nice to know the fabric was clean too? Then it could just be your dirt

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Unfortunately, the PO did the recovering by covering the old stuff with new fabric, stapling it underneath to the wood, and putting in buttons through the cushion in several places (to create a "tufted" look, I guess). I think I would have to undo all of that before I even reach the original cover and foam. I will do this if I can't kill the smell any other way, because stinkiness just creates a visceral negative feeling. And my boy is going to be sleeping underneath it.

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for all of your help.

Quote:
But really, I would probably just remove the foam (there is a zipper on the long straight side on my bunk cushion) and wash it or replace it with new foam. You can do the "grape stomp" in a bathtub or on a tarp on the lawn; or, I have heard Robin G. say that she washed hers in a machine (I would guess a non-agitator machine, but I don't remember).

Once you have the foam out, you should be able to see how to disassemble the rest of the bunk cushion. I would guess there's a wooden stiffener somehow attached to the fabric. If you could separate those two, you could wash the fabric.

You might get lucky with just washing the foam, but ... wouldn't it be nice to know the fabric was clean too? Then it could just be your dirt
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
If it's stapled under right to the wood it a bit more tie consuming but fairly easy to do. I would pick the staples out and wash the fabric. Get new foam 'cuz it will suck up any odor residue left in the fabric. The electric staple guns are great... take your time and attack a spot in the center of each side. Then work your way around working from one side to the other. Rub the fabric from the center to the outer edge ensuring equal fabric at the edges as you go. Gee, I hope that helps and wasn't as confusing as it sounds.

The foam is also easily cut with an electric carving knife. Spray glue it down and carve away.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
having had a similar problem on a tent trailer we bought used some years ago...i would not hesitate to change out the foam, even if it is a bit of work. turns out my stinky cushion had been the dog's bed, and i think this poor dog had an incontinence issue, if you get my drift! nothing is grosser than a stink that isn't yours...or that you cannot identify.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
I have to confess I didn't have any luck cleaning my foam... I did the grape stomp and every other kind of procedure and it still stunk to high heavens... and on top of that, even in hot central california sun the blasted things wouldn't dry. So I plunked out $200.00 or so for new foam. what a difference!
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote