My new to me 73 Trillium, the good, the bad and the ugly. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Trillium 13 ft / Toyota Landcrusier HDJ81
I looked for a long time for a 13' glass rv. It still amazes me how much money these small trailers are worth in terrible condition. I ended up driving 10 hours to pick this Trillium as I hadn't seen this good of a deal locally. Here's a link to the ad, I will post some more pictures later.

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...-trailer-280000

I even found the ad from the previous year:

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/node/509

The couple I bought it from were very nice people which made the sale pleasurable.

The Good: The trailer was in much better shape than any I had looked at locally under $5k, the door closed well, it had a working furnace, fridge and cook top, the ensolite was clean, the interior was stock including the bunk bed stuff ( for my 2 boys), came with a unique tarp set up for an awning, the gel coat was in need of a wax but had very few surface cracks, all in all I felt good about it.

The Bad: The frame has some cracks near the front, the rear bumper piece had been cut into a few times to mount a spare tire (or so it looked), the tires were toast, the axle had no suspension left, the fridge install was a bit of a hack job and an access hatch was unable to close squarely because of hitting the mechanics of the fridge, the propane still runs to the fridge even when the pilot light is blown out.

The Ugly: I drive a lifted Land-cruiser and in the spur of the moment purchase was unable to find the appropriate size drop ball mount in time. I ended up towing with a ball mount 5 1/2" higher than level, the trillium has no suspension (I mean zero, when jacked up the tires don't even twitch, just stay a the same angle), the road was terrible and the small trailer was really bouncing. An hour after purchasing the trailer it came unhooked at 90kmh/55mph, the trailer slammed into the back of my truck 3 times before it slowed down and with the safety chains dragged it to the side of the road. It could have been much worse, I had broken the fiberglass window shade on both sides, punched out 2 of the 6 louvered glass windows and put a 6"crack in the corner. It was a sad thing.

I have since pulled the front window, replaced the 2 panes of glass, replaced the water damaged wood around the window and resealed the window, cleaning off all the silicone. My next plan is too pull the body off the frame, install a new axle, reinforce, install a receiver tube on the rear for a future bike rack and paint with por15.

I'm sorry about the long-winded-ness of this, but it serves as somewhat of an introduction as well. My questions:

What size is the torx bit that holds the front fiberglass panels in the window cover/shade?

Is there replacement available for those 2' louvered panels in the shade? If not what have others used to replace them?

Where are the points on the frame that are normally reinforced?

Where is the best spot locally or shipped to the lower mainland (Vancouver BC) to get an axle? I really like the tire well combo available here:http://www.trilliumrv.com/parts.htm

What is broken in my fridge to allow the propane to continue running after the pilot light is purposely blown out? Is it the thermocouple wire?

Is there a weld or bolt on replacement coupler that fits these trilliums as mine has seen better days.

Thanks ahead of time, I've enjoyed learning on this forum and reading about some of the customizations and renos. Glass is Class, lol.
E Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium