My scamp tripping the breaker at a campground - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Once you get the wiring straightened out in your trailer then I would also revisit the GFI in your house. Your trailer failing the GFI test at several campgrounds opens up the question why it didn't fail at home if there was a real problem. An improperly wired GFI is not protecting anyone.
Depending on the age of the GFCI, it is possible that it will not trip for all faults. Older GFCIs only tripped with a hot to ground (or anywhere besides the neutral) fault. Newer ones added a neutral to ground fault detection circuit.

If you have a bad water heater element or 120v electric element in the refrigerator that faults to ground on the neutral end, this will trip a modern GFCI, but not an older one. Sorry, but I don't remember the date that the newer GFCI started to replace the older versions.

Since many do not have an account at RV.net, I'll add a copy of a post I made there on troubleshooting a GFCI problem:

"Actually, whether or not a neutral/ground fault will trip a GFCI depends on when it was made. The early GFCIs did not detect a neutral/ground fault - modern ones do.

The bottom line is that it should be possible to plug your RV into a GFCI protected receptacle without tripping it. If it trips, something is wrong, and it should be corrected. I know there are those that will give all kinds of reasons why it is OK, but it isn't.

If the fault is between a hot & the ground, it is fairly easy to find. Shut off all your secondary breakers, plug the RV into a GFCI receptacle & turn on the circuit breakers one at a time. If one of the breakers causes a trip of the GFCI, you have found the circuit causing the problem. Typical faults include moisture in a receptacle, a bad hot water or refer element, a bad appliance, or a loose connection (although a loose connection that causes a low resistance hot/ground fault should trip the breaker rather than the GFCI). If the problem circuit has individual appliances plugged into it, unplug all of them & plug them back in one at a time to identify the problem appliance.

If the campground GFCI trips with all the breakers off, you have a neutral/ground fault.

A neutral/ground fault is a bit more difficult to find because shutting of the breakers won't prevent the GFCI from tripping, so finding the circuit is more difficult. If your or anyone else has modified circuits in the RV, it is worth checking that the neutral & ground have not been intentionally combined anywhere in the RV. The only place the neutral should be tied to the ground is at the campground's service entrance. If you tie it in the RV, the campground (or home) GFCI will trip.

Ground/neutral faults can also happen unintentionally. Again, a failed hot water heater or refer element can cause a fault as well as water in a receptacle, a screw hitting a wire, etc. The problem is an RV will function normally with a neutral/ground fault when plugged into a non-GFCI receptacle. This may be why some feel there is nothing wrong. In a worst case situation, if the RV ground pin (or any part of the grounding system, RV or campground) fails, a neutral/ground fault will place the chassis & most metal in the RV at the neutral potential. This produces a shock hazard to any real ground such as the campground water pipe, the RV parked next to you, etc. It also causes another interesting problem - The neutral current is split between the neutral & the ground. Again, with a failed RV ground, you might receive a shock disconnecting your water line from the campground faucet!

Finding a ground/neutral fault involves digging into your breaker panel. If you are not comfortable doing this, leave it for an electrician. If you want to do it yourself, unplug the RV, make sure an inverter or generator is not powering the panel, and shut off all the breakers, including the main. Disconnect the neutrals (white wires) one at a time (don't include the main). With a neutral disconnected and all the breakers off, plug the RV into a GFCI receptacle. If it trips, the problem is not that neutral. Reconnect it, & try another. Eventually,you will find the neutral that, when disconnected, prevents the GFCI from tripping. Follow that neutral to identify the circuit, and check the circuit for the problem. Again, this may be more than a non-electrician wants to get into, but I don't know a better way to find the problem."

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Jon thank you for the complete follow up.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita
Lemuria
Registry
Nice write up and description Jon.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 16 Side dinette
California
Check outlets with a plug tester that has a button for gfi operation. Late model GFIC receptacles have a led light on front corner and indicates power to receptacle by NECode
Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
Thanks all, this is great info.

Last night I bought a $4 grounding block and installed it using the included self tapping screws. I will wire it all back up tonight.

I will also grab one of those $10 testers and start using it any time I deal with home electrical. Long overdue purchase.

My gfci is less than a year old. I had my contractor drill the hole and install the box, but I wired it myself to a sub panel in the basement that had open spots for breakers. Something that occurred to me last night. At the 3 campgrounds where I've tripped gfci breakers, I've plugged my cord directly into the service. At home, the camper is too far away to reach, so I use an outdoor extension cord. Guess what, the ground is broken off... that explains why it doesn't trip, I think.

Anyway thanks all for this great info. I'll post a result once it's all wired up and works again.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Do you have a 30 amp rated service power cord? I assume when you plug in at home you use a plug adapter.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #21

Iowa
Registry
Making progress. I got all the old wire pulled out. Instead of the mess of red wire I had in the panel, I'm going to bring my 110v outlet wiring into a single box and run a pigtail from there to the panel.

Last night I cut a hole next to the sink for a double box. I'll have a new outlet in here and use the rest of the space for the splices of the other outlets.

Roto tool with a sheet metal and wood blade cut those holes in about 1 minute. I handheld a hepa vac and wore a respirator.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #22

Iowa
Registry
Ahh, now we're talking! Really getting there.

All the splices are on the right side of this new box. Makes the panel look so much cleaner.

3 way fridge is on one breaker, 3 outlets on the other.

More tricks up my sleeve next time,
Dan

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #23

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Hope that's a GFCI outlet and that that faucet doesn't actually work.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #24

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
You should use NM connectors for Romex / cords , not WT EMT connectors. The metal connectors will cut into the Romex / cable. You also need a KO seal for the left side / top
( make sure you bend the tabs back ).
I would get a tandem breaker and use 1/2 as a main breaker .
Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #25

Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You should use NM connectors for Romex / cords , not WT EMT connectors. The metal connectors will cut into the Romex / cable. You also need a KO seal for the left side / top
( make sure you bend the tabs back ).
I would get a tandem breaker and use 1/2 as a main breaker .
Ahh, good call. I need to grab a couple of the nm and also a couple plugs. I just had these on hand. Good call on the split breaker. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #26

Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hope that's a GFCI outlet and that that faucet doesn't actually work.
faucet does not. We get water in gallon jugs to camp with.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #27

Iowa
Registry
Hi guys, just wanted to close this out with a big thanks from all the guys who helped me figure out this mess. I'm back up and running with the grounding block in place. Outlets work and so does the fridge.

As a bonus, wanted to show you a little side project. My scamp has a florescent ballast above the sink (pictured).

My scamp is not wired for any 12v at all, other than two cut wires at the fridge, but I intend to add a solar system. So I opened up thus ballast and added led. Had to do a bit of soldering to combine two kinds of strips I had on hand, but the end result is nice. Very similar in lumens and spectrum to the florescent.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Those LED strips look like the ones I bought from China two years ago, they were much cheaper than the direct bulb replacements at that time. Now I have both, several of those strips under the cabinets, not visible when standing, and direct bulb replacements where I was willing to wait for their prices to drop.

Tags
scamp