Mysterious Scamp Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
TLC

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 13
Texas
Mysterious Scamp Leak

Rain has soaked the carpeted floor under my Scamp’s rear dinette. The windows and vents were securely closed. Are there other typical sources where mysterious leaks occur, because I’m stumped for making any repairs? Approximately two cups entered from a one-inch rain. I hope that some of you experienced observers can supply suggestions.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Check the window's drain caps that allow condensate to drip out, they sometimes clog and you will have water drip inside a closed window. Although the window is closed it can still leak around the glass and rubber and collect at the bottom where a little vent will allow the water to escape, if it remains unobstructed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Mine had a small drip come down the antenna to the handle. Couldn't find it until someone slept on the (Dinette to bed conversion) when it was raining. I put some rtv sealant around the shaft of the antenna outside so the water would drip to the roof, not down the shaft to the inside.

With the table in place inside the water would run to the lowest point then drip to the floor. It did a little water damage to the table top and edge trim.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
TLC

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Check the window's drain caps that allow condensate to drip out, they sometimes clog and you will have water drip inside a closed window. Although the window is closed it can still leak around the glass and rubber and collect at the bottom where a little vent will allow the water to escape, if it remains unobstructed.
Thanks. This makes sense. I've cleaned out some muddy decay that may have diverted water inward. If it ever rains again here, I may see the results.
Once again, thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Weed wacker line is great for clearing the drain caps. It's limp enough to twist and turn into the cap, but hard enough to do the job without damaging the cap or the aluminum frame. Besides most people have a machine they can snip a foot or so and that makes it cheap to use since you don't have to go buy something!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
TLC

Texas
I knew you good people would have helpful suggestions. Many thanks. Tomorrow I floss my windows.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Scamp dental hygiene, 101
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I had the very same problem with my Scamp 13'. I unclipped the window drain covers from the outside, opened the holes slightly larger with a drill, replaced the small plastic covers. This helped but I still had wet carpet after short rains in Arizona. I finally fixed it when I removed all the windows and replaced the rope/tape style seals. These tend to dry out and should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What year is the offended Scamp?
If there is Rat Fur on the walls this can easily hide the true location of the problem as the water will just run to the lowest point behind the Fur tricking you maybe as to its origin?

Food for thought.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
When I installed MaxAir vents on my windows, leaks resulted. The water will find a screw and if not sealed drip down behind the window. If the vents do not take care of the issue, then as David suggested, time to remove and reinstall with new butyl tape and seal all screw holes.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
TLC

Texas
Yes, my 2003 Scamp wears Rat Fur and yes it may easily be tricking me. The leak “seems” to be originating at the window. There’s nothing out of the ordinary, like an antennae or air-conditioner, up above so I’ll concentrate on the window for now. I’m not too sure the above mentioned advice applies to the 2003 windows, though. Mine are all-aluminum with a rubber-like gasket sealing the outside. There are horizontal slits that act as weep holes to the outside which were plenty dirty, if not clogged. I don’t see any drain covers nor small plastic covers.
Could these windows be different than those that David B. got to rebuild?
Attached Thumbnails
'03 Scamp Window.JPG  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Yes, my 2003 Scamp wears Rat Fur and yes it may easily be tricking me. The leak “seems” to be originating at the window. There’s nothing out of the ordinary, like an antennae or air-conditioner, up above so I’ll concentrate on the window for now. I’m not too sure the above mentioned advice applies to the 2003 windows, though. Mine are all-aluminum with a rubber-like gasket sealing the outside. There are horizontal slits that act as weep holes to the outside which were plenty dirty, if not clogged. I don’t see any drain covers nor small plastic covers.
Could these windows be different than those that David B. got to rebuild?
Some have the covers and some don't, my 2004 has slots like yours which are easier to clean. Otherwise they are the same.
My Maxxair vents don't leak after many years of use,but anyway the window in question doesn't have one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
TLC

Texas
Thanks

For the record, I’ve cleaned the window frame channels with weed whacker string and a strong shop vac. I’m feeling good about it for it certainly looks like it can’t possibly leak. I thank y’all for your help!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #14

Don't wait on the rain, go out and hose it down.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Leaking windows

Did anyone mention to level your trailer when parked.
To much tilt will allow water to run under window and leak inside.
Ask any U-Haul owner.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
TLC

Texas
At risk of sounding a bit like a novice, I’ll admit that it’s not level. Looks like someone needs to hold my hand throughout this RV lifestyle, huh? Next year I’ll go out and level the trailer and hose it down. One more time: “Thanks!”
Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #17

Do it next year.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #18

Better get cracken, it's next year.

Happy New Year.
DR
Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
TLC

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring
Better get cracken, it's next year.

Happy New Year.
DR
It's been a busy year so far with much eating and drinking to attend to. Thank goodness my resolution is to procrastinate more often. I'll play with the Scamp tomorrow.
Happy New Year to you.
Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #20

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Thank goodness my resolution is to procrastinate more often. I'll play with the Scamp tomorrow.
Happy New Year to you.
Tom
That might be one new year's resolution that actually gets kept!

Happy New Year to you, too!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp