Mystery Hole - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 5th Wheel Standard
Texas
Mystery Hole

So there is a strange hole in the passenger side wheel well of my new (to me) toy. Check out the first picture. The hole is at the rear of the wheel well, and is partly in the floor and partly in the fiberglass of the rear, mostly vertical wall of the wheel well.

What do you think - is this caused by a blowout, or is it the sad, sad remnants of the most ham-handed water system repair job ever? There is an elbow joint made accessible by the hole (see second picture) that would have been pretty hard to get to otherwise.

On the inside, you can't see it because there is a water heater tank sitting on an OSB box that covers the wheel well. Too bad, because fixing it from the inside would be easier!

*sigh*
-Karen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1134.JPG   IMG_1137.JPG  

KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks like a tire blow out to me....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 5th Wheel Standard
Texas
From water heater explosion?

I am now wondering if the hole is related to an exploded water heater tank. I pulled the tank out tonight because it had a huge leak. I am glad I did because it turned out to be such a mess (pictures are in another thread, "water heater woes.") Here are some more pics, of the nice clean white OSB shelf the water heater was sitting on, and the mess below.

If the exploding tank was responsible for the hole in the floor and wheel well, or if the same thing that made the hole also destroyed the water heater tank, somebody did a cover-up! The nice clean white shelf was in between the tank and the hole. It wouldn't look so nice if the two were related.

I guess I will fix this by smoothing the hole in the OSB, cutting a plywood plug to match, and glassing it in top and bottom. Same on the wheel well portion, without the plywood plug.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1148.JPG   IMG_1150.JPG  

IMG_1154.JPG  
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm with Donna......Looks like a tire blowout to me and the easiest repair would be to re-glass it from the inside.
Go on YouTube and type in the search window "How to repair fiberglass" and there's many video's on the subject and it doesn't look all that hard to do.
Joe

YouTube: "How to repair fiberglass"
‪How to repair fiberglass‬‏ - YouTube
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote