Nails Poking through Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
While I was taking a closer look at the tongue and hitch on the Fiber Stream, I noticed that there are three small nails poking out through the fiberglass shell at the bottom front of the camper.
Any ideas? I'm tempted to pound them back in even with the shell and do a fiberglass resin or epoxy repair. I am shuddering to think of the possibilities for moisture to get inside when running down a wet highway, for instance.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I noticed that there are three small nails poking out through the fiberglass shell at the bottom front of the camper.
Any ideas?
This is difficult to figure out. Can you post a picture? Do you know what is on the other side of the fiberglass in that spot? IF they are truly nails and not screws, and what you see are the heads and not the tails, I would be tempted to pull them out, not pound them in.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Frederick,
I can't post a photo until tomorrow when I can get back to the camper. Part of the problem is that I just noticed this as I was getting ready to leave and go to work. I didn't have time to go inside again and figure out what the nails go through. They ARE nails, and the tails are sticking out the front of the fiberglass shell. I probably wasn't clear enough in my last post.
Pamela
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Rather than pounding them back in.....since you are going to repair the fiberglass anyway, why not grind the nails flush with the fiberglass and then fiberglass the spots.

If you pound them back in, you will be loosening whatever "piece" they were designed to keep tight.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I highly doubt using nails through fiberglass for any reason would ever make any sense. I'd say that before doing anything else it's fairly important to figure out why they were put there in the first place, and find a better way to fasten whatever's on the other side so they can be removed altogether. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Agreed, Daniel. I would want to see what was done, and why, and then improve the situation (which, if they are nails, not doubt needs improvement).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #7

Here's a photo I took this afternoon. You can see two of the three nails. Look to the far right of the photo to see the second one.
I can't figure out what they are holding inside. It must be some trim or edging or something. I will need to look inside the two seat cabinets I think. I won't have time for that until this weekend.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nails.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	27558
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
I can't figure out what they are holding inside.
[b]I will need to look inside the two seat cabinets I think.
It looks like a previous owner was trying to secure the bench [b]frames, which the factory only attached to the floor farther back in that area. There is no support or framework within the curved area. The size of the nails suggest to me that the bench came loose at some time in the past. If you just pound them back in without having someone inside putting opposing pressure against the bench, you risk lifting the bench up off of the floor.