Naval Jelly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I've been using this stuff for years on my classic vehicles and it works wonders. It is n sticky jelly like substance like CLR or Rust Away that you use in the kitchen. If it harmed the collectible vehicles that I have had, I would not recommend it.

Alum and Coke, You guys need to watch "Myth Busters" as they used this stuff and it worked. They also tried other stuff that didn't work so well or at all.

The thing about Naval Jelly is that it works right away.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've used Naval Jelly on some really rusty stuff and it worked as advertised. I've also seen it used on chrome bumpers and it took the rust off along with turning the chrome spotty and rainbow colored. Could have been the chrome was ready to go or could have been the reaction from the Naval Jelly Once those bumpers changed color there was no going back. Couldn't even buff out the discoloration.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The ingredient in all these rust busters is phosphoric acid. You can get the straight stuff from auto body supplies. The gel in the commercial stuff is to make it stay wetted on the surface longer.

The phosphoric acid in Coke and many other soft drinks is for the taste. Ummmm, so good and refreshing.

Wonder if it cleans out rust in the body? What else? How about teeth and bones? Which is higher on the activity chart, phosphorus or calcium? Are there any natural food with high concentrations of phosphoric acid? What does the body do with the excess phosphate?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I'm just a retired electrical engineer, but I'm thinking I should know the answers.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Loren, actually theres as much sulfuric acid in there as there is phosphoric and if the rust is really bad wire brush it while dry before using naval jelly, if this stuff get in your eyes its strong enough to blind you, follow the directions real close, it should be rinsed with water and painted a short time after using or you will get a surface rust back on it after a day or so