need a different tow vehicle by end of next week! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Ace
Trailer: scamp
Montana
Posts: 9
need a different tow vehicle by end of next week!

My current mini van was 'hail totaled' and now have a rental for a week...I am in Mt. about 60 miles from Billings and need help....finding right vehicle that would tow up to 3000#s or more (Scamp 16)...minimum $$s..maybe $6 0r $7000? Like to have hitch on it already...have electric brakes on the Scamp and controls went with my totaled van. I like Toyota/Honda/Nissan...(of course, nice if it matches Scamp!) :-)
Will be checking the mpg's/ if no pets/smokers kinda nice/very clean and very good condition...miles depends on vehicle and price....Sure would love some input...I live in the Scamp about 5-6 months each winter in Az. so carry alot of gear inside the tow vehicle and like that.
I also could fly to Portland to pick a decent buy up there.
Thanks for any ideas...don't want to be stuck out in the boonies and walking!!!.
__________________

__________________
ontheroadagainace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Just a thought... have you asked the insurance company if they're interested in selling the van back to you? I've heard stories of folks who got their vehicle back for a few hundred dollars (salvage yard price), ignored the cosmetic issues and happily kept driving the thing. Not every insurance company will do it, but some have.

Have a look at Craigslist in nearby areas. I think that cars and trucks don't sell as readily on CL as RVs do, because people who look for a cheap car tend to not have enough cash and maybe poor credit too, so they end up at a buy here/pay here lot or at least a lot with very easy credit guidelines. You may find a vehicle that's been listed for a month already and the seller's getting antsy, and along you come with a low offer, bingo!

Here's a listing in Billings, in your price range and no more than 10 years old: http://billings.craigslist.org/searc...auto_year=2006 The Ford Freestar (not Freestyle) is a capable tug, as is the Pacifica and the Murano. Plenty more to choose from, some with dents and some without.

Best of luck in your search.
__________________

__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Just a thought... have you asked the insurance company if they're interested in selling the van back to you? ...
Unfortunately, any time you are under a short deadline to buy a vehicle you are at a serious disadvantage. I would guess your van needs glass replaced also, but Mike's idea still might be the best option if the van will be safe. That would give you the time to make a good deal on a replacement, and not have to accept what you can find while under pressure to buy in a week
__________________
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagainace View Post
My current mini van was 'hail totaled' and now have a rental for a week...I am in Mt. about 60 miles from Billings and need help....finding right vehicle that would tow up to 3000#s or more (Scamp 16)...minimum $$s..maybe $6 0r $7000? Like to have hitch on it already...have electric brakes on the Scamp and controls went with my totaled van. I like Toyota/Honda/Nissan...(of course, nice if it matches Scamp!) :-)
Will be checking the mpg's/ if no pets/smokers kinda nice/very clean and very good condition...miles depends on vehicle and price....Sure would love some input...I live in the Scamp about 5-6 months each winter in Az. so carry alot of gear inside the tow vehicle and like that.
I also could fly to Portland to pick a decent buy up there.
Thanks for any ideas...don't want to be stuck out in the boonies and walking!!!.
_______________________________________________

Usually Insurance Companies give back the personal items in a totaled car : included added accessories. They might let you remove the brake controls. Or ask that they compensate you extra for it. You don't have to just accept their first offer ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
__________________
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
We really like our Sienna with the factory tow package. If you were willing to get to a major metropolitan area like Denver 8 hours south, you could probably find what you need in a day. We went out looking for a Sienna with a tow package on a weekend a few years ago. We found 5 online in our price range and age/mileage, and one was perfect. Portland is also probably a decent bet on that sort of thing.
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I would ask for the controller back.

As a side note many/most insurance companies do as has been suggested consider such items as a personal add on item - which they may or may not consider the cost of when settling your claim - particularly if it is not damaged and is recoverable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
We really like our Sienna with the factory tow package. ..
Wel, I like my Sienna also... but for many model years, and 2015 for certain, then is no real tow package. The van is built with components to give it a tow rating of 3500 lbs, 350 on tongue, but thats all. There is NO prewiring for lights or brake controller. There is NO support for a OEM brake controller or trailer lights either. I added all that and it was a PIA. For example, , I had to strip off some insulation from the brake light switch wire and solder on a tap for the brake controller.. Yes, I could have used a scotchlok type of thing, but I dont trust them with something as critical as trailer brakes. And for trailer lights, you have to remove the tail light assembles to plug in the converter.. its easy to break the tail light housings in the process, which would be quite expensive.

Since you are looking at an older van I cant say for sure, but be sure and know what is involved in getting it ready to tow.
__________________
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
When I traded in my 2011 Ram truck the dealer asked me to remove my aftermarket Tekonsha brake controller, so I removed it and replaced it with the factory dash insert. Many people don't want to buy a used vehicle that has been used for towing and an aftermarket brake controller is a dead giveaway that the vehicle was used for towing.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Wel, I like my Sienna also... but for many model years, and 2015 for certain, then is no real tow package. The van is built with components to give it a tow rating of 3500 lbs, 350 on tongue, but thats all. There is NO prewiring for lights or brake controller. There is NO support for a OEM brake controller or trailer lights either. I added all that and it was a PIA. For example, , I had to strip off some insulation from the brake light switch wire and solder on a tap for the brake controller.. Yes, I could have used a scotchlok type of thing, but I dont trust them with something as critical as trailer brakes. And for trailer lights, you have to remove the tail light assembles to plug in the converter.. its easy to break the tail light housings in the process, which would be quite expensive.

Since you are looking at an older van I cant say for sure, but be sure and know what is involved in getting it ready to tow.
For our 2003, the factory tow package is what gives you the ability to tow 3500; otherwise it's just 2000#. Should have specified year for sure.
Apparently in 2003, the package included the transmission cooler, the basic 4 prong wiring and hitch, and a few other things...
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Posts: 267
Registry
car

Go to Kellogg Idaho and check out Dave Smith cars and trucks .
__________________
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Ace
Trailer: scamp
Montana
Posts: 9
Thanks to all of you for information...currently digesting it...and have a lead on a couple Nissan Xterras near Bozeman, Mt. that might work. ('02 and '04)...I am OLD and won't give up camping and exploring just yet! Unfortunately the company I got the receiver hitch and electric brakes from doesn't have a computerized system , so no chance of getting a receipt from them. The Ins. co said , they need proof of purchase of those items and then would adjust accordingly. Whew!
__________________
ontheroadagainace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,055
When I visited Montana all I saw were pickup trucks. I suspect just about any pickup will pull your Scamp. While not for everybody, a pick up makes a fine tow vehicle. If you need extra space look for a double cab. Raz
__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
scamp weight and tongue weight are important to factor in to the purchase.
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
light trailers can be pulled by some cars depends on trailer weight, tongue weight and hitch setup. Then consider the car or truck ratings with the setup. Subaru recommends 8% Toyota says 9% for the cars and Truck seem to be 10 to 15% tongue weight. Ours pulls really nice at 170 lbs tongue weight but the trailer weight means min of class 2 hitch. The do not make a class 2 for our car so have a class 3 frame hitch.
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintenance Next Week Andy R General Chat 2 03-25-2010 04:31 PM
(2008 Spring Event) May Week End Event Doug Mager Ft. Langley B.C. Rallies 8 05-24-2008 09:05 AM
Your next tow vehicle? Byron Kinnaman General Chat 1 10-02-2007 09:08 PM
Byron & Anne's Labor Day Week-end Byron Kinnaman Camping, Campout Reports 3 09-08-2006 06:14 PM
Maintenance Next Week Andy R Forum Admin, News & Announcements 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.