Need advice on a 16 foot Casida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Need advice on a 16 foot Casida

I don't have it yet but have a lead on a 84 Casida 16 foot trailer . I have gotten a few pictures and the inside looks pretty good for as old as it is. If I can get if for the right price how hard is it to gut all the appliances out of it ? I want to pull all the appliances service them and restore them do a deep clean on the inside and go through all the electrical inside and out and plumbing water heater etc. Somebody cut out the back window and shove a AC unit in the back that looks like crap has anybody replaced the tinted plexyglass? How bad is it for a sun baked molding holding in the plexyglass? In the pics the trailer looks in good shape for as old as it is any advice thanks
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Difficult getting refrigerator out of the earlier Casitas. Won't fit through the door. You will probably have to disassemble it a bit and take it out rear window.

Plan on a new window gasket.

Assume trailer has had leaks, check floor carefully. Don't be surprised if floor under bath is rotted. Casita's bathtub design can lead to water being trapped inside the camper from window and plumbing leaks, and then rotting out floor.

Old plumbing, replace with PEX. You will be glad you did it.

If price is right, and you have covered work space, then go for it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Difficult getting refrigerator out of the earlier Casitas. Won't fit through the door. You will probably have to disassemble it a bit and take it out rear window.

Plan on a new window gasket.

Assume trailer has had leaks, check floor carefully. Don't be surprised if floor under bath is rotted. Casita's bathtub design can lead to water being trapped inside the camper from window and plumbing leaks, and then rotting out floor.

Old plumbing, replace with PEX. You will be glad you did it.

If price is right, and you have covered work space, then go for it.
I am going to have to beat him down on the price if I get it I am going to expect the worst . How hard is the rear window to take out and put in a new gasket and new window? Where can I get the gaskets at? If I have to dissemble the fridge that is fine I just want to gut it and do it right but I am expecting the worst but Casidas are worth there weight in gold especially the 16 footer I think its worth it. I have done RV repair but never touched one of these he is supposed to send me some more pic today and tomorrow thanks for the reply
Old 04-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i recently removed the fridge from my 16'er. it was not a big deal. removing as many pieces i could from the unit while still installed and i could take it out the door with no problem. mine is a 2012 model and even has a bifold screen door mounted on the fridge wall. perhaps i'm wrong but, i don't think the 16'ers have changed that much over the years. let me know if you need more information about my efforts in this project...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
i recently removed the fridge from my 16'er. it was not a big deal. removing as many pieces i could from the unit while still installed and i could take it out the door with no problem. mine is a 2012 model and even has a bifold screen door mounted on the fridge wall. perhaps i'm wrong but, i don't think the 16'ers have changed that much over the years. let me know if you need more information about my efforts in this project...

p@
I think you are right about changes I am sure they still use the same molds I am going to dissemble the fridge because I really want to get all the appliances completely serviced and cleaned and out of the unit. Do you know anything about removing the rear windows ? Somebody put that non factory AC in and I have remove it and put the plexyglass back in but never done one of these I have don't traditional almuminum frames on RVs but not one of these is there a gasket or can I use gum tape and reseal it I may crumble and come apart can you get parts from Casida still ? thanks
Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #6

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Casita rear window

Obvious but most of the answer would be if and how he modified the rear opening. If opening is same as original I would think Casita would have the parts to bring it back to original ie window, trim.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Obvious but most of the answer would be if and how he modified the rear opening. If opening is same as original I would think Casita would have the parts to bring it back to original ie window, trim.
They did not get into the outer structure when they cut the hole its inside the frame but still wondering how hard the frame to pull out and rein stall I looked on line for Casida and a new window and out frame it looks like is available but still don know how to install it
Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
First off it's the 17' casita's with the larger refrigerator tht you can't remove through the door.
Secondly a lot of Casita owners use tape made for holding windshields in when remounting windows.

Thirdly what's wrong with PEX tubing? I've had not problem with it in my 20 year old 1999,

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
PEX tubing is great! My 1996 Casita had some other not so great vinyl tubing. I would assume the OP's 1984 would not have come with PEX.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
First off it's the 17' casita's with the larger refrigerator tht you can't remove through the door.
Secondly a lot of Casita owners use tape made for holding windshields in when remounting windows.

Thirdly what's wrong with PEX tubing? I've had not problem with it in my 20 year old 1999,

Joe
First off if you read the prior blog they state you have to dissemble the fridge to get it out which I have no problem with I want to gut the inside and do a deep clean

I don't know about any tape or how there put in
Old 04-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
The rear window with the A/C mount is not difficult to deal with. I think I showed pictures in the thread, but that was about a year ago. I will look and see if I can link it, but I drilled out the rivets then took it all out. I then took out the screws that hold in the frame pieces that were used for the A/C -- there were 2 on each top and bottom, and they came out easy. I bought the replacement gasket for the glass -- I used Lexan but Plexiglass would be just as well, and then put it in with the new gasket. Keep the old pieces for patterns, getting it to fit just right was the hardest part. Then I used butyl tape for putting it back in, and that sealed it really well -- no leaks -- and I did all the windows -- I used small bolts and nuts so I could take it back out easier, but could have done rivets just as easy. The floor is held down by self threading screws into the frame all throughout the floor. The shower area has a couple of bolts in it as well. There is likely also floor damage under the water heater in the back. I replaced the entire floor, and put FG below and above the floor. Don't know if I had been able to start with one in better shape if I would have done that.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-81327.html

NorCalMike also did rebuild and might have a lot of ideas as well.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-83328.html
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #12

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
The rear window with the A/C mount is not difficult to deal with. I think I showed pictures in the thread, but that was about a year ago. I will look and see if I can link it, but I drilled out the rivets then took it all out. I then took out the screws that hold in the frame pieces that were used for the A/C -- there were 2 on each top and bottom, and they came out easy. I bought the replacement gasket for the glass -- I used Lexan but Plexiglass would be just as well, and then put it in with the new gasket. Keep the old pieces for patterns, getting it to fit just right was the hardest part. Then I used butyl tape for putting it back in, and that sealed it really well -- no leaks -- and I did all the windows -- I used small bolts and nuts so I could take it back out easier, but could have done rivets just as easy. The floor is held down by self threading screws into the frame all throughout the floor. The shower area has a couple of bolts in it as well. There is likely also floor damage under the water heater in the back. I replaced the entire floor, and put FG below and above the floor. Don't know if I had been able to start with one in better shape if I would have done that.

Wow sounds like this one kicked your ass. The guy is working nights I am going to contact him with and offer I am looking at this as a worst case scenario. I expect the worse everything I buy . I am going to restore this if I get it to flip I know these Casita are worth there weight in gold especially the 16 footers, the side looks to be in very good shape, The ac unit is something somebody cut out the plexyglass and put in a window mount. I don't want to pull the body off the frame that is too much you cant find help around here you say work and they scatter unless you are going to work for them for free. I am on my own I just want to do a deep clean and service and polish it out like a diamond in a goat turd like my Uncle use to say

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-81327.html

NorCalMike also did rebuild and might have a lot of ideas as well.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-83328.html
Wow sounds like this one kicked your ass. The guy is working nights I am going to contact him with and offer I am looking at this as a worst case scenario. I expect the worse everything I buy . I am going to restore this if I get it to flip I know these Casita are worth there weight in gold especially the 16 footers, the side looks to be in very good shape, The ac unit is something somebody cut out the plexyglass and put in a window mount. I don't want to pull the body off the frame that is too much you cant find help around here you say work and they scatter unless you are going to work for them for free. I am on my own I just want to do a deep clean and service and polish it out like a diamond in a goat turd like my Uncle use to say kkk
Old 04-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I put the A/C in the lower area under the microwave and it works well, just needs a fan to move the air around so that it cools more efficiently. I think others might have used a room A/C with an exterior mount for the hoses, but this works well for me. I also added a lot of water so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the National Parks. Having 2 large batteries and 2 solar panels helps with the power, and the large inverter means I can run a microwave, if I want. I like the setup -- works well for us. Hope your adventure goes well.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #14

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I put the A/C in the lower area under the microwave and it works well, just needs a fan to move the air around so that it cools more efficiently. I think others might have used a room A/C with an exterior mount for the hoses, but this works well for me. I also added a lot of water so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the National Parks. Having 2 large batteries and 2 solar panels helps with the power, and the large inverter means I can run a microwave, if I want. I like the setup -- works well for us. Hope your adventure goes well.
I haven't gotten it yet wont know until Friday if he takes my offer but I have to ding him down its needs some work but I think its got good bones I am fixing it up to resell I know they are hard to find I just hope he takes my offer but its been sitting quite awhile