Need advice on installing a new microwave oven - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Need advice on installing a new microwave oven

Help! We have a 1999 wide body burro and we would like to cut a hole into the kitchen cabinet between the sink and the refrigerator on the face/front. We have the room only we don't have a clue on how to brace it up to secure to the cabinet. My husband wants to make a box, but I don't think we could get it inside or underneath the cabinet. I want to make a shelf on two brackets on the inside. We just pulled out the old refrigerator to replace it with a new one and now would be the time to install the microwave.
Can anyone tell us how you installed yours?

Thanks Cathy
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe a picture or two would help explain the problem/question.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

California
Registry
Good morning,
I tried to insert a picture but I can't figure out how to do it. Sorry
If you could go to the gallery and open the Burro pictures my Burro pictures are third from the beginning.
I'll keep working on trying to insert a picture for you.
Cathy
Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Microwave installation in a 16' Scamp 1997

Hi,

I'm guessing your Burro has the the 12" overhead cabinets in the galley area. I hung a small microwave from that cabinet.
I went to Walmart and bought a 700 watt Rival Microwave for about $55. It was the lightest one I could find. I took the cabinet off which is quite flimsy. I went to the hardware store and got a couple of 1" x the length of the cabinet, strips of metal to bolt to the underside of the top of the cabinet. The bolt ends protruded beyond the lock nuts by 1/2" or so. I used 2 1/4# bolts on the heavy side and 4 #10 screws for the middle and lighter end. I used fender washers in the overhead cabinets. With the cover reinforced it was plenty strong enough to hang. I added a couple of cover screws where I felt they were needed.
I did this a year ago and I have hauled the Scamp 8,000 miles since then and all is well.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

California
Registry
Wow! Thank you,
Cathy
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Microwave installation in a 16' Scamp 1997

One other thought that has occurred to me as I sit here and look at my microwave. Scamps have a twisted steel support that runs from the 12" overhead cabinets down to the base cabinets. The microwave weighed maybe 25 lbs or less. If you don't have the supports you might consider them.

if your not familiar with what I'm talking about, any pictures of the interior of a scamp will show the supports.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave