Need advice on painting the exterior on our boler ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Ana
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Question Need advice on painting the exterior on our boler ?

Hi all ! We are so happy with our 1972 boler
We will like to change the colours of the outside
Need advise on best type of paint .
I am an interior home painter but no experience with this little guys .
Thank you .
Ana diez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Ana diez! Welcome to FGRV and congratulations on your new-to-you Boler!

Painting fiberglass isn't a lot different from painting anything else. The better the surface prep, the better the paint job. You use paint that matches the surface you're painting, and primer first.

If you'll go to the Search above on this page, click and drop down to the lower line and type in "paint Boler" and you should find all kinds of threads to give you a great idea. You can also find videos on YouTube that show you "roll and tip," which is one way to paint these. Others are brush (not necessarily best), spray, and foam hot dog roller alone. (We did the last).

You need to use an enamel paint, NOT latex, not ever. You can mix more than one color of the same type of paint--if you want light blue, you can mix white and a few drops of a navy blue until it's more what you like. Just don't mix different paints, like latex and enamel. (Hint: it'll still go on, but it'll be very odd.)

We used Rustoleum Marine primer and topcoat, both in white. There is Brightside (or Briteside marine paint, and since most boats today are made of fiberglass, there you go). There are other brands of fiberglass/marine paint. Always use a compatible primer.

Wash the area first, always sand with a fine grit, and prime. If you find flaws in the surface, you can use "Bondo Hair" or a similar product (can be found at auto supply stores for fiberglass cars), sand, wash, wipe with acetone, let dry, then prime with fiberglass/marine/auto primer and sand carefully again. Then give a 2nd coat...use THIN coats.

If you want to spray, you'll find threads here and videos on YouTube about that, too. We found Rustoleum to be available locally (it does matter some), reasonably priced (though not cheap!), and satisfactory. In two years, the paint still looks fine after many washings and sitting outside in the sun and rain without a cover. You can also get rubber-type paint for preventing rock chips, but it's tricky and very pricey.

I don't recommend you paint the top half a dark color--too much heat gain in warm weather.

Any specific questions? Do your search and read up...and soon others will be along. We didn't "roll and tip," because Paul found it awkward and leaving streaks...instead, he rolled and rolled until all the itny bubbles were popped and the paint began to self-level. He did two very thin coats of primer over the "fairing" (Bondo Hair nick and small hole filler) and two well-rolled out, thin coats of topside, and sanded well between.

When done painting, you can "wet sand" (see Search again for this idea) for a really ultra smooth effect.

We don't wax "Peanut," our trailer, a 1973 Amerigo, as it's just one more step and so far everything except rock chips has washed off readily with liquid dish detergent and a car washing brush. We've towed thousands of miles now (well, about 2 thousand) and camped many nights.

It's easier and cheaper to read and watch videos than to buy the wrong stuff and repaint it, so do your reading and watching before you decide how to begin.

Photos of Peanut before and after:

Our very best to you on this rewarding project and may you have very happy camping!

PS--we love pictures, post some if you can--before and during and after!

Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 036.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 016.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 041.JPG   Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg  

Old 07-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
I just finished painting Happy with Interlux PreKote primer and Brightside topcoat. I think it went quite well. I rolled and tipped, which did leave some brush marks, but if anyone peers that closely at my camper, they better be a friend cuz that’s just weird. I used about a quart per coat and did 3 coats, and 2 coats of primer. I followed the recipe that kai described. Here she is all decked out and ready to roll. Jane. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	122094Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3711.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	122095Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3707.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	122096
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Registry
Hi, Janel, I do LOVE the two-tone paint jobs!

I was afraid whatever I picked for Peanut I'd want to try a different color soon, so we stuck with white, but oh, those two-tones!

Congrats on a good job finished!

BEST

Kai
Old 07-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #5

Ontario
Tank you Kai .
I’ll fallow your advise ! Your peanut looks amazing!
Just a quick question? What is tipped ? Not sure if it means
Cutting edged with a brush ?
Cheers
Btw peanut is our youngest dog name
Love it !
Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
YouTube roll and tip painting technique. It explains everything.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Name: mensie
Alberta
Over the winter months I too painted our boler with Interlux marine paint. first of all after sanding the whole unit wipe it down real good, I just used TSP mixture for that and after that with a clean rag and fresh water.I then primered the trailer with interlux pre-cote 2 coates , then lighly sand it again and wipe it don again with TSP , and clean rag and fresh water.
Then I used interlux Brightside off white and did the roll-tip method after the first coat lightly sand it again and wipe it don with a damp rag, for the bottom I used the yellow same thing between coates sand it lightly and wipe down.
I am super happy with the results, there are some brush strokes but that gives it character.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Registry
"Tipped" is when you use a "dry" paintbrush and gently drag it across the area you just rolled on. The idea is to break all the tiny bubbles that get incorporated into paint when you mix it vigorously, or even moderately. You don't want those bubbles to set in the paint as they spoil a nice, smooth finish.

Glad to help; painting is one of the least expensive and most effective ways to change the looks of something, and I love it.

Thanks, we were sure relieved to get Peanut all cleaned up! I like the name very much for a dog, too.

We call the trailer Peanut because it's, "One shell with two nuts in it."

BEST luck!
Kai
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
YouTube roll and tip painting technique. It explains everything.
THANK YOU !
Super helpful !
We are peeping now , soon we will be doing this for the first time
Ever !
Pics to come ,)
Ana
Banana
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #10

Ontario
Wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
I just finished painting Happy with Interlux PreKote primer and Brightside topcoat. I think it went quite well. I rolled and tipped, which did leave some brush marks, but if anyone peers that closely at my camper, they better be a friend cuz that’s just weird. I used about a quart per coat and did 3 coats, and 2 coats of primer. I followed the recipe that kai described. Here she is all decked out and ready to roll. Jane. Attachment 122094Attachment 122095Attachment 122096
So beautiful !
I hope ours turns out half as nice 😬
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

Ontario
Thank you all for the advise and support .
Pics to come .
As soon as I figure out how to post them ��
Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #12

Registry
Adding pictures: before you click "Post Quick Reply," click instead on "Go Advanced." THEN use the lower of the two areas and find and click on the paper clip icon. It will allow you to BROWSE your photos that are in your computer, and if you click on them, and then upload in the BROWSE area, and wait, they will be posted into your comment after you have Posted it.

Took me a few tries to figure it out. Any pictures that are not right-side-up will show exactly as they are in your computer, so fix them before you add them if you care.

Kai
Old 07-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Our Scamp has a very tired finish, so it is going to get painted with Interlux Topside paint soon. Thanks for the tips in the above posts.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #14

Name: Norman
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Ana
Contact Paul Neumeister at the the following link, he is all things Boler and i have seen some of his painting work, he is very helpful to give ideas and close to the Stratford, Ont area.
Norm

Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Norm W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
It is happening.

Brought the scamp inside the shop on Thanksgiving day. Getting in the 7' door was no problem after the leaky old escape hatch was removed from the roof.

So far we've removed all the exterior lights, decals, roof hatch, door & hinges, gravel guard & rusty hardware... Started sanding. And sanding and sanding.

Lots of filling & sanding still to do. Hope to roll on primer in the next day or so.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181121_225234347_HDR.jpg   IMG_20181121_231034397_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20181124_195513907.jpg  
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting