Need advice on running lights wiring - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
Need advice on running lights wiring

I am at the stage in my reno where I can start insulating and covering the walls but before I do, I want to make sure the running light wiring is good . I think not since there is one wire that is not connected. I have taken pics in sequence except for the first one which is fine.
I watched a great youtube video on 12v wiring that says not to use marettes (or electrical tape as in this case) so do I use heat shrink splices?
The pics will be over several posts from 2nd connection to the connection to the tail lights. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2538.jpg   IMG_2539.jpg  

IMG_2540.jpg   IMG_2541.jpg  

Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Manitoba
Better pictures

Sorry, retook the pics - again in order to the end
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2538.jpg   IMG_2548.jpg  

IMG_2549.jpg   IMG_2550.jpg  

Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Manitoba
More pictures

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2552.jpg   IMG_2553.jpg  

IMG_2554.jpg   IMG_2555.jpg  

Old 08-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I like to use a Western Union splice, solder it and then heat shrink. It will never come undone.
In the past I have also installed PVC water pipe u dear the camper all the way from the front to the rear then run the wire through it then up to the inside of the camper. This allows for easy replacement of the wire should something go wrong.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I am with Darwin on not using twist caps for the wiring for connection, I also use heat shrink to helping to keep things from coming loose over time and protect from moisture.

My know my old scamp had intermittent rear light issues as a result of the use of twist caps by the factory on the rear wires until I redid the connections.

The trailer does a lot of jiggling when on the road and its often only a matter of time before something comes loose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #6

Name: Duane
Trailer: trillium
New Brunswick
Hi I agree that soldering any joint is the right way to go. By doing this you will avoid any corrosion issue and also have a joint that will withstand any pulling apart. This is certainly something you don't want or need in a splice buried under wall coverings or equipment that restricts access should it fail. Use shrink tubing and also use a plastic or rubber sleeve in any areas that might be chafed by movement issues. Do it once ,do it right ! Over kill applies here ! Duane
Old 08-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Duane is absolutely right.

When I heat shrink a solder joint I always heat shrink twice. The second overlapping the first. That is Double the insulation for safety sake.

Make sure when you solder the wires you do not have any sharp strands sticking out that could penetrate the heat shrink.

I also do as Duane said, I make sure there can not be and chairing going on.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I solder and use adhesive lined shrink sleeve. it insulates and seals the connection. Harbor freight carries it at a fair price.

42 Piece Marine Heat Shrink Tubing

If you absolutely have to use wire nuts on hidden 12 volt systems I use the type used in sprinkler wiring sealed and water proof.

DryConn Small Waterproof Wire Connectors - Aqua/Orange (20-Pack)-62114 - The Home Depot
Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Used pro crimp tool; just did all the running lights. Added eyes to wire ends put stainless steel bolt through eyes then stainless washer with bonded neoprene washer to wall side for water tight seal, then put through hole in fiberglass out through light with a stainless washer and nut on inside of light, added eye to wire on other side put it on bolt with washers and nut. Water proof and stainless so all is good did not solder any joints. lights work great. Used lights the same size and look as old light to make the job easyer and look a lot like original.

p.s. Also like heat shrink tubing. Always important to remember trailers flex

Tags
light, lights