Need air condition noise reduction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Need air condition noise reduction

We have a Dometic roof top air conditioner that is very noisy and has a lot of vibration when the condenser comes on. Makes it hard to sleep! Has anyone found any kind of solution for this? Does anyone have a unit that is quiet?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Micro-Air soft start will help and cutting out the top of the plastic shroud where the fan pulls air in and putting a wire mesh grill with larger openings. Check your compressor mount points for damage and fan blade for wobble/cracks.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Orbital Machine Works makes a "Hush Kit" for the Coleman Mach 8 air conditioner.

While it's something of a long shot, you might ask them if they have a lead on any products for the Dometic, or even if they can offer any council about where you might look for the source of the noise.

Bryan's points are good ones.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
We have a Dometic roof top air conditioner that is very noisy and has a lot of vibration when the condenser comes on. Makes it hard to sleep! Has anyone found any kind of solution for this? Does anyone have a unit that is quiet?
First, its all relative. And generally speaking, roof R/V air conditioners are relatively noisy. At least they are inside the camper. Its a fact of life. The fan is loud. Noticeable or even substantial vibration when the compressor (not condenser) kicks on is normal. Therefore you should compare it to other campers to see if you have an unusual case, or if it is a defective unit or installation.

The aforementioned Micro-Air easy start is a common way to quiet the "thump" and vibration when the compressor comes on, and also to use the A/C with a generator that otherwise would not be powerful enough. However it does not quiet the fan.

And some other models of roof A/Cs are less noisy, but others will have to help with that because I dont have the experience to share in that area.

If you determine that it it running normally then maybe you can get used to it. My Dometic Brisk Air A/C is very loud, and I hate it when I am awake. But I sleep with it just fine.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You're in a big kettle drum when you're inside your FG trailer. About the only way you could totally eliminate it is mount it on an external frame with it just sticking in the window. Quite a chore.

My Coleman 9200 does the same thing. Usually the first night it keeps me awake then I get use to it. I've found that's MUCH easier than getting use to southern humidity!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Easiest solution is ear plugs. Many variations to choose from. Pick one that works for you.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have to have "white noise" when I sleep anyway. So I run a fan in my Scamp. You see, I installed a Hunter digital thermostat inline. The entire unit shuts off when the compressor kicks off. That stopped the "humidity" build-up I was experiencing beforehand.

So the fan GREATLY helps to suppress the "explosion" that occurs when the units kicks on again. And to prove it's the compressor, when I use the heat strip or a small floor heater (that I have wired to my Hunter as well), the on/off doesnt bother us at all.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote