Need an Access Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Need an Access Door

My 13' 1984 Scamp is missing the access door for the Dometic 211 fridge. I've spent hours on the www looking for a replacement (even have an ad on Craigslist ) but no luck up to now. The RM183 access door for the Dometic RM2200A on my old Scamper 'pop-up' cabover camper fits perfectly but I need to keep it on there. Scamp sells a new S-183 lower vent door but the door itself is permanently 'hinged' to the frame/jamb. I'd like to find a door with the 'slip-on' hinge that fits the current opening. Am unable to locate any RV salvage yards within reasonable driving distance that may have the part. Would appreciate any suggestions for locating, or info on the needed door. TIA

This is where I need the door

This is what I need
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Maybe you could measure it and give RV Dr George a call

RV Doctor George

Post the dimensions here and someone may be able to help, too!

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

Arkansas
Thanks Matt, I'll call RV Doc George tomorrow, they're closed Sun & Mon. According to pix he may have my door.

Dimensions are 9 7/8" high, 18 1/8" long

Here's what the hinge looks like
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Did you look on Ebay, Ebay motors parts there are several doors there maybe one will work for you.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The Scamp door looks approximately the same size. I don't know if your (or their) dimensions are for the door or the rough cutout, but if it's a bit bigger you could replace the entire vent.

Dometic S-183 Lower Vent (RM2193, RM2202)

Lower outside access panel and vent for Dometic RM 2193 and other smaller Dometic refrigerators. Polor white is color. Upper continuous hinge. 20 7/8" wide x 11 1/8" high.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Arkansas
Yeah Greg, eBay was a couple of the 'hours' I spent on www. The only one on there is the 'Norcold' vent door & it's the same as what Scamp sells. If I have to go that route & install an entire new door frame I'll go with the one from Scamp as I'll be ordering other stuff & shipping may be a little cheaper with several items & ordering by phone . Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
The previous owner had lost his doorat some time and had replaced it with this flat panel which he hinged into place. There is about an 1/8 inch gap all round which has proven to be enough for air to move. If I were to change anything on it, I would place the hinges on the bottom so as not to have to hold it open when lighting the fridge. We've had the trailer since '94 and had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
587.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

Arkansas
Yep James, that's what I like about the door in my pic above, just 'swing' the door up about 3/4 of the way & slip it off the upper hinge. Don't hafta worry 'bout holding it up. That's the primary reason I want one like it instead of the one that Scamp sells now. That one is permanently hinged with a continuous (piano type) hinge at the top. It'll fit but I'll hafta remove the door frame/jamb that's on there now in order to use it. Of course that may be why it isn't there now, someone may have forgot to put it back after lighting the fridge?? If you put 'em on carefully & make sure they're latched properly, ain't hardly any way they can come off by themselves.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends on how much you're willing to spend to get exactly what you want. There are several places on the web that will build to your specs. You could have it made sans hinge and use the one you've got. Here's one place: RV Surplus

Am I the only one that thinks Havey's hinge looks like a awning rail?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Depends on how much you're willing to spend to get exactly what you want. There are several places on the web that will build to your specs. You could have it made sans hinge and use the one you've got. Here's one place: RV Surplus

Am I the only one that thinks Havey's hinge looks like a awning rail?
Well maybe it does somewhat look like a awning rail, but it does look just like the fridge door on my Nomad 5th wheel.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #11

Arkansas
Yes Donna, I know I could have one made. These type doors/hatches were quite common a few years ago, especially on truck campers & pop-up type trailers with small fridges. The hinge is an adaptation of the 'Hurricane' hinge & allows the door/hatch to be removed without tools, for working inside the compartment, but still be quickly reinstalled when needed. I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot of them 'out there' available if I can locate one. I guess if worst comes to worst, I could always 'switch' the door back & forth between the Scamp & the cabover . Now that you mention it, the 'male' side of the hinge does somewhat resemble an awning rail, 'cept most awning rails I've seen have 2 'lips' to hold the rope & fabric, & they're usually considerably heavier.

Here's a pic of the 'female' hinge portion on my Scamp

Here's a view of the hinge with door actually installed on my old cabover camper
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #12

Matt is right, call RV Dr. George. This is a link to a huge data base of RV Salvage yards... the amazing part is the list is regularly updated! Bookmark this info, you may find it valuable in the future: RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated for those that are interested, there's also Canada salvage yards listed.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #13

Arkansas
Thanks Donna (and All). You've all been great & I appreciate all the help, suggestions, etc. It's nothing less than I expected from RV/camping folks. Wife & I started camping near 50yrs ago when our youngest son was less than 6mos old. We've used everything from a 'tarp' stretched from the side of the car to a 32' 5th wheel, & most kinds in between. We've downsized from the large rigs to our old 'pop-up' cabover truck camper & teardrop trailer, & now added the Scamp. We've seldom met anyone camping who wasn't friendly, helpful, & generally nice to be around. Probably one of the main reasons we're still doing it.

I sent an e-mail to RV Doc George but I'll call 'em today, & also check out the parts place here in Arkansas. It's about 2hrs from home which might make a nice 'day trip' with this 'spring like' weather we're having. I've started the paperwork to get a clear title on the Scamp. Don't think I'll spend a lot of bucks 'til that's settled. Looking forward to making this one 'ours'.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #14

Arkansas
SUCCESS! Talked yesterday to Michael at RV Dr George. This morning he sent me a pic of the exact item I need to fit the already installed fridge access door frame on my Scamp. It's a little rough but should be easy to straighten & paint. It'll be here in a few days. Thanks folks for the link
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
SUCCESS! Talked yesterday to Michael at RV Dr George. This morning he sent me a pic of the exact item I need to fit the already installed fridge access door frame on my Scamp. It's a little rough but should be easy to straighten & paint. It'll be here in a few days. Thanks folks for the link
I love it when a plan comes together. Now figure out a method so this one stays put