Need Casita Information - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have recieved their brochure in the mail and going over it tooth and nail. I would like to know a few things. I am leaning more towards the Liberty Deluxe because of the king bed configuration (not small people) and just having the bed ready to roll all the time.

1. What is the bath measurements? Wall to wall/ floor space? I had a wetbath in my TC, but the sink was a pita and really would have not had it if it was my choice.
What are used for the walls to make it waterproof?
2. What size is the gray tank?
3. What size/brand is the refrigerator?
4. What size/brand is the A/C?
5. If I wasn't to get the Micro, what is in that space? A cabinet door instead?
6. What extra clearance does the high lift axle give you?
7. What brand of awning do you use?
8. Where would I get warranty service if there is a problem in my area? (East Coast of NC)
9. How hard is it to get to the water pump?
Reasoning is for using antifreeze for winterizing (NOT added to the water tank)
10. What brand converter/specs?
11. Are there running lights? (front/sides on top?)
12. Where is the length taken from a 16' to a 17' ?
13. Is there storage underneath the seats or is that where the tanks are?
Kathy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Check out Casita Forum as well. Lots of tech and how to info there. I see that a 2006 Casita Liberty just went on the market on Casita Forum - 2006 Casita LIberty 4 Sale on Casita Forum

1. Bath - 4’2” x 29” height is under 6’ due to curve of roof. With the way that it is laid out it works very well. I’m 5’10” and works very well.
2. Walls - The Casita is two fiberglass shells one on top of the other. When you look underneath all you see is the frame, tanks and the bottom of lower fiberglass shell. No wood is exposed to outside. When you look at Casita picture the metal band that goes around the middle of the trailer is were the two halves meet, sealed on the outside and fiber glassed together on the inside essentially making it unit. The walls are covered with low pile carpet and Kanga foam backing that helps insulate the trailer, this stuff is put on every exterior wall and roof on the inside.
3. Gray Tank Size - 25 gallon
4. Refrigerator - Dometic RM2454 4 cu. Ft 3 way single door w/freezer
5. A/C - Roof top A/C is RVP Coleman Polar Cub 9201 “D” Series with heat strip - BTU 7680
6. Microwave - Yes with one 110 outlet inside and covered with the same wall material. You can put your own microwave, toaster oven or use for storage.
7. High Lift - 2 inchs and worth it.
8. Awning Fiamma F45i from Casita, very nice awning
9. Service - Any RV dealer, you call Casita and they authorize repairs for RV dealer in your area.
10. Water Pump - Not hard, I added winterizing kit in few minutes.
11. Converter - Parallax 7345 45 Amp Model converter.
12. Running Lights - 2 front, 2 back, none on roof
13. Length - from tongue ball coupler
14. Storage – Yes, curb side has fresh water tank in back, storage from front of water tank to refrigerator. Street side is pretty much used up by power cord, battery box, water heater, converter etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside_Front_2.jpg   Inside_Rear_2.jpg  

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #3

Picture of water pump access and microwave cabinet as it comes without factory microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
Water_Pump_Access.jpg   Micro_Cabinet_2.jpg  

Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #4

Kent,
THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to respond and great pictures!
More questions, if that is ok......
1. Where do they put the furnace? I will get that.
2. Where is the water pump switch?
3. Are their tank sensors?
4. Where is the fantastic fan mounted if you have the roof mount A/C?
5. What brand HWH? Suburban w/ anode? 6 gal right? (getting DSI!)
6. Is there a good place to put a Honda 2000? I have one and use it....
7. Is the bumper good for a bike rack or adding a hitch for a reciever for a storage tray/honda?
8. Are there any moisture problems with having so much carpet? Holding odors? How hard would it be in the long run to change it out if damaged?
9. Is it worth getting the TV shelf if I were to get a flat screen to hang?
How hard is it to hang?
10. I have heard about unpublished options: cushions? worth it?
11. Is the electric tongue worth it?
12. The fiberglass furniture, is it sturdy or prone to crack? (no light weights, but not abusive either)
13. When bed is made, there is a second table like picutured for the "king" portion of the single poled?
14. Is there a place to store that first (small seating) table when both dinettes aren't needed?

I know alot are opinion questions, and that is just fine. I want to hear them!

On Edit, I have just been drooling over your website and there are quite a few answers on there! Great!! Thank you again!!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #5

Wow Kent, LOVE that box mod you did! Can you run the gen inside?
Do you find that the switch for the WP getting hit when doing dishes?
Is the frig fan really needed and why?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Kathy,

I'd like to make a small suggestion. Call Casita and ask who in your area has one that you could look at. Actually seeing and walking around inside and out gets the best answers.

Just my $.02 worth.

P.S. I know the excitment and it shows, which is great. Got my Scamp almost a year ago.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...What are used for the walls to make it waterproof? ...
I assume that Kathy is asking here about the wall of the bath/shower, not the exterior walls of the trailer.

The wet baths which I have seen, including the one in my Boler B1700RGH, are built of two moulded fiberglass pieces (top and bottom, smooth finished side facing inward) joined together and mounted inside the trailer shell, surrounded by cabinetry (plywood) to form the wall surface the the main room of the interior. It's like a home shower stall with a toilet mounted inside.

Casita experts jump in here if the Casita solution is different...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #8

Thank you Byron and Brian,
I have been posting on the Casita forum and getting a bunch of answers. I am going to call the company when I can't get my answers from real owners. I trust their opinions more often than the mfg. This is NOT a dig at mfg, but often they don't have the livability questions covered.

Yup, am excited about the eggmobiles. Hubby and I like little so we can get into the "nature" parks more so than RVing. Boondock alot because he is a professional nature photographer and gives workshops. I shoot too. We needed to sell the truck and TC because one daughter is a freshman in college and retired from my horse business. So, needed something that his Explorer will pull. He never liked working out of the truck anyhow when doing location shoots.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I have been posting on the Casita forum and getting a bunch of answers. I am going to call the company when I can't get my answers from real owners. I trust their opinions more often than the mfg. This is NOT a dig at mfg, but often they don't have the livability questions covered.
I never meant to imply to get your answers from Casita.

I believe that Casita has a referal program simular to what Scamp has. What I believe they would do is to send to one or more of thier customers close to you. That would allow you to look at the trailer, and get answers from a real user(s), not from Casita.

Quote:
Yup, am excited about the eggmobiles. Hubby and I like little so we can get into the "nature" parks more so than RVing. Boondock alot because he is a professional nature photographer and gives workshops. I shoot too. We needed to sell the truck and TC because one daughter is a freshman in college and retired from my horse business. So, needed something that his Explorer will pull. He never liked working out of the truck anyhow when doing location shoots.
Boondocking and little are my thing too.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #10

Byron,
I hope I didn't come across too strong (X NY'er) and I never meant it that way I apologise. I have recieved a few leads to local for a personal touchy feely. That is what I am looking forward to.

I haven't really researched the Scamps just yet. Their baths are smaller if I remember right. That is a deal breaker for me if I can't use it/get one. So, where do you do your boondockin'?
Quote:
I never meant to imply to get your answers from Casita.

I believe that Casita has a referal program simular to what Scamp has. What I believe they would do is to send to one or more of thier customers close to you. That would allow you to look at the trailer, and get answers from a real user(s), not from Casita.
Boondocking and little are my thing too.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Byron,
I hope I didn't come across too strong (X NY'er) and I never meant it that way I apologise. I have recieved a few leads to local for a personal touchy feely. That is what I am looking forward to.
Nothing to appologize for. I just figured you were needing answers. I wanted lots of answers too when I was purchasing.

Quote:
I haven't really researched the Scamps just yet. Their baths are smaller if I remember right. That is a deal breaker for me if I can't use it/get one.
I chose to NOT get a bathroom in mine. We (Anne and myslef) have spent a lot of time camping and backpacking. A bathroom wasn't part of what we carried around then, saw no need to change that. If we stay in RV parks or campground there's facilities, if boondock it's no different than when we're backpacking. Less weight to pull around, more room in the Scamp, don't have to deal with plumbing failures, don't have mess with emptying black water, don't have to deal with chemicals in blackwater tanks, etc.

Quote:
So, where do you do your boondockin'?
Living in Oregon there's tons of places to go. Sometimes we'll park in a Forest Service Campground. Other times we'll just find a spot in woods big enough to be off the road and in the trees. That's often my preference, no neighbors and dark, quiet nights.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
Quote:

James Bar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Kent,
THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to respond and great pictures!

On Edit, I have just been drooling over your website and there are quite a few answers on there! Great!! Thank you again!!
The wet bath is all fiberglass module that is inside the upper and lower shells of Casita. So in the bath area is is double wall.

The water pump switch does get hit, I changed mine out for a lighted one and quit having problems. I wish Casita would put the switches for the water pump and water heater on the right side of the silverware drawer on the Liberty models. That would be much better place.

The furnace is on the street side below the sink.

No tanks sensors and my opinion, you don't need them.

Fantastic Fan is in the middle of trailer, front to back and left to right.

The upgraded water heater is Suburban DSI SW6DE

Generator - I put mine on tongue but you need to make sure that your tow can handle the added tongue weight.

I would not put anything on the back bumper. There are some that do and have not had problems but for me it is about weight and balance but also the bumper is thin and wasn't designed to handle much weight. My opinion.

I love the carpet and have had no problems. I have used my stove once, I try and cook everything outside on grill's.

Yes the TV shelf is nice for puting things on like dvd player etc.

I purchased the 5" cushions and over time have commented that they were worth it and then when I purchased the Southern Mattress stated that it ended up be waste of money. After much thought and sitting in other Casita's with 4" cushions I would state that the 5" is better and will hold up longer.

All the inserts for the bed other then the made dinnette table are stored in the closet.

I'm a big guy and have not had problems with fiberglass seating area. Sometime the screws on top that hold the fiberglass down work themselves loose but this is easily resovled.

I would highly recommend that you not pre-purchase a whole lot of items that you think you will want or need. Most people get caught up in the excitment, me included, and start buying things that you think you will want or need. I would recommend that you hold off and buy things after you have had a chance to live in your Casita and use it. Otherwise you will be taking a bunch of stuff to the Oregon Gathering to sale or giveaway.

The electric tongue jack is something that you could add in less then 30 minutes and buy much cheaper from internet source then Casita factory.

If you buy new from Casita, the trailer comes with everything you will need to start camping for short while. If you buy used, it will most likley have everything you would need as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #14

Byron,
We used to backpack, but we are older now, and ME more than hubby want facilities. We often have to blacktop boondock at some of his photoworkshops, and they don't take kindly to digging a pit in the medians! I haven't ever been west, and can't wait to go. There is SO much to shoot!! One day soon! I hear ya about the extra maintenance!

James,
I see vacant reply posts!

Kent,
You are one thorough man! Thank you for all your time! I hear you about not purchasing a bunch. Been there, done that, have the yard sale signs to prove it! I do have most anything I need. We JUST sold our truck and truck camper. Going from a 8'10 floor plus queen bed to a Casita will be a smooth transition me thinks.

Actually have a camper I am looking at used, and heard from the gentleman. It is a Northwood. Discontinued and I have another thread going on here about that. I do REALLY like these Casita's! Very cool.

Check out this cool camper: Aussie made for off road! Kimberly Karavans Link

Thanks guys!!!

Tags
casita