Need help figuring out leak... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Need help figuring out leak...

I thought I had all the leaks fixed.... We had a bad storm last night with 3 inches of rain. This morning I checked to see if we had any leaks....Well the front window bottom right corner must have been leaking. The cushion nearest had a damp area. I have a feeling its not a big leak(meaning easy to find).The window is a one piece with the gasket lockstrip. I am also wondering if it could be from the gravel shield rivet holes. I am stumped. Do I need to replace the whole seal around the window? I am hoping one of you have a fix other than that.......The camper is not level so I don't know if it traveled to the lowest corner or what. Feeling beat.
Marje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Marge, I would level the trailer, dry everything and tape up toilet paper or tissue paper around the window seams and the rivets for the rock guard and spray the hell out of it on the outside with a hose and see if you find wet spots on the tissue paper.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Water can leak in under that gasket almost anywhere and work it's way around to the lowest point. I would start at the top looking for any damage or spots that are lifted.

In the meantime, a temporary repair with some real HVAC "Duct" tape will keep the water out.

Ask for the real stuff at a real hardware store. It costs more but it will seal and last until you can make repairs. If it sez "Duck" in the name, keep looking.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Marge, would help if you updated your profile to show what year and brand of trailer you have so we have an idea as to what type of window and gasket you have.

The thing with leaks is that it may not be happening at the point the water is exiting - could be higher up and just running down behind the wall covering until it finds an exit point.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

Illinois
Honestly I hope its from the rivet holes..... I have put so much money into this camper already. Its a 1981 Scamp. I have updated
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Sure it wasn't just condensation on the inside window?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #7

Illinois
@ Steve, No the cushion nearest it had a moist(not really wet) area.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Could not find the leek on the 5r until I camped with a friend and he slept on the dinette to bed conversion. It rained and the leek came down the TV Antenna. I made a conversion on the antenna down rod outside and solved the problem.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

Illinois
Well quick update. I looked at the front and the only places for leaking that looked possible was the rubber gasket (where it meets) at the bottom of the window and the hardware rivet holes on the door side.I put sealant on both. We got hit with a pretty good storm last night that resulted in 2 1/2 inches of rain . Woo hoo! No leak at the window! I had tucked paper towel all around the edge of the window and laid some on the bench. Thanks for that tip Deryk! All dry this morning! I will also try the spray the camper method once I have it moved and level. Just in case.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Glad its working out Marge! Leaks are always a problem finding the source. Trust me I lived on a sailboat for 10 years lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote