Need help form Scamp 13 front bath owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Need help from Scamp 13 front bath owners

Can anyone tell me what the ground clearance is in inches on a stock/factory Scamp 13 front bath at the lowest point (p trap) of the shower drain?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
I can try to measure mine in the morning. Ours is a 2012.

One warning - they put the shower drain pump in a stupid location on the very bottom and its a magnet for shearing clean off. Have to constantly be wary of driveways and dips. I only scraped the label off mine a little, but was fed up enough to relocate the pump in the last week. It is a fairly easy job and there is tons of room about 1' away from where they mount it stock. Gains about 1.5" or more I'd guess of additional clearance by relocating it.

In my 5 years of ownership, the P trap has never been a problem. Its always the pump just a little lower and towards the rear that's the first thing you'll shear off.

Why the @#$#@$!@#! they mount it where they do is just stubborn apathy. It doesn't cost any more to put it where I am. Part of my love/hate relationship with the Scamp. Its great and unique, but sometimes I swear a lot at their lack of customer feedback to improve their manufacturing process.

The shower pump is a great feature over the Casita gravity drain. Plenty of camp sites where you need a little push to avoid standing in several inches of water all the time.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Deep South
Thanks JohnF. I have a 71 13' Boler that I put a custom wetbath in and sheared off the p trap this weekend so I am curious as to what the stock clearace is on the Scamp. I found a couple of options for low profile shower drains today vs the low hanging one from Lowes
Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Johnny, I vaguely recall Floyd fabricated a kind of skid plate to protect the shower plumbing. You might send him a PM. Perhaps a combination of both approaches- changing the drain set-up and adding some protection- might work for your unique project.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #5

Deep South
Jon,
With the stock shower drain from Lowe's with the bushing inserted and the PVC v shaped p trap installed the whole thing is at 6 1/4" from subfloor to bottom of p trap which is not much ground clearance. I found this shower drain at Home Depot
which when I called Mustee they told me it was 3 1/8" (without the rubber elbow) and I was thinking of adding a Hepvo valve to that on the recommendation of Borrego Dave which would help clearance as well and eliminate the sink backing up into the shower.

I did find this one from ambassador
with a clearance of only 1 7/8" from subfloor to bottom of the drain barb but I would have to fiberglass and rework the 3 1/8" hole already cut in my wetbath down to a 2 3/4" opening to make it work so I am not sure if the extra 1 1/4" clearance is necessary...I know more is better but is it really needed? Really don't want to have to rework the shower opening as I feel it will create a weak point where the fiberglass meets the wood, and building it up from underneath would defeat the purpose.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I just unscrew the trap

It only takes a couple of minutes to unscrew the shower train. I have to do this every time I put the scamp in the garage on it's 10 inch wooden wheels.
RubberToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #7

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post
It only takes a couple of minutes to unscrew the shower train. I have to do this every time I put the scamp in the garage on it's 10 inch wooden wheels.
Robert,
My drain setup is solvent welded PVC which makes it a pain to removed. Is yours a stock Scamp drain? What's the ground clearance?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Thanks JohnF. I have a 71 13' Boler that I put a custom wetbath in and sheared off the p trap this weekend so I am curious as to what the stock clearace is on the Scamp. I found a couple of options for low profile shower drains today vs the low hanging one from Lowes
your Boler is quite a bit lower than a modern Scamp.
The 70's Scamps and Bolers had 1200# leading arm axles which made them low enough that they could not tolerate a gray tank or just about anything mounted underneath.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
your Boler is quite a bit lower than a modern Scamp.
The 70's Scamps and Bolers had 1200# leading arm axles which made them low enough that they could not tolerate a gray tank or just about anything mounted underneath.
Thanks Floyd. Before we converted to the wetbath we had a utility tub for a shower stall in the center lower floor where the front bench was. The threads to the drain on the utility tub was above the subfloor so the drain pip was about 2 inches under the floor so we didn't have any issues. I think I can stay about that height with the Mustee 90 drain and be okay, just wanted the Scamp clearance measurement as a reference point.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Here's a pic from a 2012 front bathroom 13' standard Scamp.

With the trailer level, I have about 6.5" of clearance to the bottom of the shower trap.

But I've never scraped it in 5 years of ownership and ~12K miles so I'm not motivated to try to rip it out and replace it.

The pump was the problem - was about another 1.5" lower - and that's relocated now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4312.jpg  
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Does the side bath 16' have a similar issue? Do answers in this thread
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-78469.html
suggest maybe not?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Does the side bath 16' have a similar issue? Do answers in this thread
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-78469.html
suggest maybe not?
No such problem on layout 4. Bath floor is well above trailer's frame, the sink and drain pump are well protected.
Attached Thumbnails
20170428_164812.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
No such problem on layout 4. Bath floor is well above trailer's frame, the sink and drain pump are well protected.
But for the most part there is no problem because a late model 16 has a 3500 pound down axle and actually needs a step at the entrance. Lot more ground clearance.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
The main point is that the components in question are above trailer's frame level, not below the level like in front bath floor plans.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #15

Deep South
JohnF that is exactly what I needed and thank you! My Boler sitting level is exactly 10" from the ground to the bottom of the shower subfloor/frame bracket. With the old shower drain and p trap that sheared off there was about 3 3/4" of ground clearance . With the Mustee 90 degree drain I should have about 6 7/8" clearance and slightly less that that with the Hepvo trap installed at its lowest point. As long as we don't go off roading or hit any really deep pot holes or the like I think we will be safe with 6"+ of clearance .

I put a new Dexter #9 (2200 lbs) on my Boler last year as the 1250 lb axle was wore out and really not practical figuring everything fully loaded plus the extra weight of our redesigned interior. But the ground clearance is about the same as we went with the same trailing arm angle as what came off. However the old axle had been flipped at some point from under the rear dinette as a leading arm to under the lower floor as a trailing arm.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #16

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
The main point is that the components in question are above trailer's frame level, not below the level like in front bath floor plans.
Yes that would be the optimum setup but with my Boler I am limited to the drain being under the shower floor, unless I was to custom build a drain in the side of the shower pan at the lowest point but I am not willing to go through all that. I am pretty sure 6" will be enough clearance.

Tags
scamp