Need help identifying Scamp year - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Need help identifying Scamp year

Hi,

We took the plunge and are proud owners of a 13 Scamp! We bought the trailer from a family who clearly had never operated it and most likely bought it from someone else and immediately resold it. They told us it was a 2000, but we knew they had no idea and it was clearly much older than that. The title is a bit confusing as it has the model year listed as 0000 and there is a 7 digit vin that matches a decal attached to the non door side of the tongue.

The vin is 1063626 according to the title. I have read all of the vin decoders for the Scamps and none of them mention anything about a 7 digit vin with no letters. I tried to sand down the paint on the tongue on the inside of the tube on the door side, and I didn't really see anything.

We need to go get the trailer registered and we're really curious as to what the year may actually be. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2450.jpg   IMG_2448.JPG  

IMG_2446.JPG  
KHeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I can tell you is my 1988 Scamp has radius windows and Rat Fur interior. I love those jalousie windows and as far as I know, Scamp put those in prior to 1985. Does the interior of your Scamp have ensolite (Elephant skin)?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Pre 1983. Sometime in 82 Scamp started using the 17 digit VIN's. The VIN is on top of the frame rail right behind the coupler most all are one the door side. I have seen one on the drivers side. The old numbers had a E in it and month and year was sometimes stamped into the frame. I have no idea what the stamped numbers you found are.
Are the tail lights round or square. Oval running lights with square tail lights mid to late 70s Scamp. Rear window frame metal or rubber? Metal could be 76.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If it were me I'd simply call Scamp and ask if they know. They did loose all the records prior to 2006 in the 2006 fire.
But Kent or somebody should remember how the vin number was derived at the time your trailer was manufactured. A phone call is pretty cheap these days.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
It's funny that as I finished reading this posting and was scrolling to the top I noticed the "Trailer Show Case" picture of a 1969 Boler that looked like a twin to the post's picture right next to it. . "Ralphy" was the title of the picture.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:52 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Year identity

You might try looking at the name plate on the axel, which to me looks like the wheels are pretty far up in the wheel wells indicating the need for a new axel. My trailer also has the date and manufacturer of the coupler on top of the hitch coupler.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree that it's a 1982 or earlier. I'm voting for 1979 or earlier because of the small eyebrow window in the door. All the 1980-1982 vintage units I found in the archives had a larger double-vane jalousie window in the door. I believe production started in 1975, so that narrows it to 1975-1979.

More pictures, including the interior, might turn up other details that would help narrow it down more. Okay, I confess… I just want a look at the inside…

I'm not sure the missing/incorrect year on the title is an obstacle to getting it registered, though. I'm guessing the 0000 year on the title means "year unknown," which the previous owner incorrectly interpreted as a typo for 2000. Assuming the title was legally issued in the seller's name, the VIN matches the trailer, and you have a bill of sale in the same name, I don't see why there'd be an issue.

To my eye the axle looks fairly normal for early Scamps, but ride height is not the best indicator of axle condition. Raise the trailer (on the frame near the axle) and watch to see if the axle arms drop down as the frame raises. Little or no movement means a dead axle. It wouldn't hurt to check it for any identifying information, though.

Nice looking trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

Name: sharon
Virginia
it looks a lot like my '77. but a lot better condition than mine was, good find!

my VIN number is on the driver's side of the tongue, NOT close to the hitch but farther back than I expected. it was very faint & topside of the rail. try looking there.
good luck!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Name: sharon
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
it looks a lot like my '77. but a lot better condition than mine was, good find!

my VIN number is on the driver's side of the tongue, NOT close to the hitch but farther back than I expected. it was very faint & topside of the rail. try looking there.
good luck!
the photo is fuzzy so maybe try a pencil rubbing to see what is really there? How to Do a Pencil Rubbing | eHow
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #10

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
Our 1979 Scamp , mfg date of 5-79 ,has a 5 digit Vin starting with 100. So I would think mfg. after that date. Nice looking trailer!
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #11

California
Thanks for the info!

Thanks guys! Still on the hunt for the original vin, need to get some more sand paper, but based on comments, we're thinking somewhere around '77-79 We are now checking to make sure we don't have a dead axle and basically tearing everything out so we can remodel. Originally there was a toilet and shower that appear to be aftermarket, but we tore those out yesterday.

I've included a current picture of the remodel.

The back panel that lives under the dinette has a little moisture and no mold as far as we can tell, but it does sag in the middle and there is no frame support there. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2466.jpg  
Old 12-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I'm not seeing the video, but in the picture I notice that it appears the original full-height closet next to the door has been partly cut out. That closet is pretty important for supporting the shell and maintaining the proper curvature for correct door fit. There are ways to make up for that lack of support, but it's something to consider as you rebuild.

By "back panel," do you mean the plywood subfloor under the rear dinette?
Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

California
Closet...

Hi,

Actually the closet is still there, that cut fiberglass in the picture is the front bench leaning up against the closet. It was cut to add a shower and toilet.

I can't get the video to upload, I'm guessing it's too big. I've added some pics instead.

And yes, the plywood floor under the dinette is bowing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5886.jpg   IMG_5894.jpg  

IMG_5896.jpg  
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Fooled me with the closet. That's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHeard View Post
...And yes, the plywood floor under the dinette is bowing.
It depends on how far you plan to go with the renovation at this point.

The correct, "one and done" fix is to replace the entire "dance floor" (raised floor under dinette and benches) with a single piece of plywood. The benches come out fairly easily, but you also have the water tank and electrical stuff to contend with. While it's out you could weld in some additional support underneath, although it probably isn't necessary, since you don't walk on that part (and it lasted 30+ years without it). I'd coat the underside with fiberglass resin (as Scamp does from the factory) and paint the topside. The shell is fiberglassed to the floor around the perimeter, so you have to cut that to remove the old floor and re-do it with the new. The old floor is your best template for the new, so try not to tear it up too much.

On the other hand, if you're just going for minimally camp-ready, and if it is really solid as you say, just bowed, you could live with it for a while. That part of the floor doesn't take much weight.

In either case, you need to investigate where the moisture is coming from. Possibilities include the side or back windows, the roof vent, the water tank or water lines, the holes for the taillight wiring, or the spare tire mounting bolts.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All I can tell you is my 1988 Scamp has radius windows and Rat Fur interior. I love those jalousie windows and as far as I know, Scamp put those in prior to 1985. Does the interior of your Scamp have ensolite (Elephant skin)?
It does have an off white elephant skin interior. I'm assuming that's probably original?

Tags
scamp