Need help in deciding on a fiberglass trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 CT 13 ft
Need help in deciding on a fiberglass trailer

Can anyone help me decide what brand of trailer to buy? I want something very lightweight (maybe no more than 1300 lbs) and small (13' to possibly 15'). I prefer the smooth walls without carpet on them. I want a shower and toilet (wet bath and cassette toilet ok) and I want to be able to stand up in it (I'm only 5'3"). I don't need to be able to cook in it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
Melissa
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Melissa, You didn't mention what you want to spend, and standing up @ 5'3" won't be a problem for a molded fiberglass trailer. Sounds to me you will be looking for a used 13' Scamp. I don't know if you will find a wet bath in a Boler, but if you do that would be another option. Did you look here on the forum in the classified section?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
As you search pay attention to the weight. The 13' weights without any options may be below 1300, but when you add stuff like the bathroom you are describing, you will have a harder time finding something below 1300 if that is really important to you. "Trailer weights in the real world" under general chat will give you a feel for what real trailers weigh as people use them. Good luck and enjoy the search!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The older 13' Bolers will be among the lightest and give you ensolite walls (typically), however no bathroom. Porta Potty and outdoor shower tent? Unfortunately, wanting all those things and under 1,300 lbs is counterintuitive. Are you weight restricted due to your tug?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This thread might be useful. My guess is the lighter ones don't have a bathroom and the plumbing and tanks that go with it.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might want to post what vehicle you plan to tow with, then we can all have a rollicking good argument as to its actual towing capacity.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 CT 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The older 13' Bolers will be among the lightest and give you ensolite walls (typically), however no bathroom. Porta Potty and outdoor shower tent? Unfortunately, wanting all those things and under 1,300 lbs is counterintuitive. Are you weight restricted due to your tug?

I will be towing with a 2007 Toyota RAV 4. It is a 6 cylinder and has a towing package. It can tow up to 3500 lbs. I basically want to tow as light as I can because of gas mileage. I want to do a cross-country trip and I am more interested in something smaller that will not cost a fortune in gas. A Porta Potty would work, but I am not familiar with an outdoor shower tent. I would prefer an indoor shower, but it sounds like it might not be possible. Thanks for the replies from everyone.
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa C View Post
I will be towing with a 2007 Toyota RAV 4. It is a 6 cylinder and has a towing package. It can tow up to 3500 lbs. I basically want to tow as light as I can because of gas mileage. I want to do a cross-country trip and I am more interested in something smaller that will not cost a fortune in gas. A Porta Potty would work, but I am not familiar with an outdoor shower tent. I would prefer an indoor shower, but it sounds like it might not be possible. Thanks for the replies from everyone.
The last time I purchased a "shower tent" they were in the $20-$30 range now they appear a bit more. Basically if your camper doesn't have the room for indoor plumbing you can add one of these small light weight tents for your shower/bathroom. It gives you privacy for your potty if you are not traveling alone.

Stansport Cabana Privacy Shelter - Walmart.com
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The thing I don't understand about shower tents is that most/many/some campgrounds really don't want you dumping grey water on the ground. Isn't that kind of the whole idea of a shower tent?

I'm thinking you also want to set up over grass so you're not clumping around in mud. Plus you're standing around nekkid outside (in your shower tent of course), plus you might want some sort of freestanding gravity water bag/solar warmer. Though I suppose you could shower in your bathing suit.

Though Steve is suggesting it as a containment feature inside the trailer which might work.

Just doesn't grab(!) me, I guess. Different strokes for different folks.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Melissa,

I would not be too obsessed with the weight of your trailer within practical bounds. For example, whether we have a bathroom in our Scamp 16 or not has little effect on our mileage. I suspect even if we eliminated the convenience of the bathroom we would use that space for something else.

It may be that the addition of a rooftop air conditioner and awning may be as negative to fuel mileage as a 200 lb bathroom.

I know some people travel with empty water tanks to save weight but we always have about 8 gallons in our tank and another 6 in the hot water heater, over 100 lbs and still get good mileage.

The aerodynamic properties of the trailer, how you drive and the fuel burning character of your tow vehicle are all just as important in mpg.

I think how you drive is a big one, particularly your top speed and acceleration. We use a gauge that gives us instantaneous mpg to give us an indication of how we're driving. Ginny never looks at it and correspondingly gets lower mpg than I do.

Since we're on the road a lot, like you plan to be, the cost of gas is important, particularly know that it seems to be on the 'rapid rise'. Gas costs represent about 4% of the average family's expenses however it is more substantial percentage for long distance RVers.

Your Rav4 is a substantial tow vehicle and can pull at least all the 13 and 16 foot trailers on this site with relative ease.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Actually never used one as a shower, although could be used with the outdoor shower feature. I'm thinking more along the lines of a portable outhouse.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Melissa, I have a 2008 Rav4 with tow package, and just picked up before New Years a 2012 ParkLiner. Its at 2200lbs dry, well I never get the fuel mileage I hear people talking about...maybe Im a little fast on the gas or something but highway I usually average 22, city around 20 well towing my ParkLiner at 55mph I averaged 16.5 mpg, towing it at 65-70 I averaged 13.5mpg. So find a trailer with the front bath and shower and just keep your speed down and you will get decent gas mileage. The 13's are real cute, but your sleeping on the dinette table and the bedding all has to be packed away to use the table. Mine has a side dinette so the bed can stay down! lol

Btw, if when you attach your trailer to the Rav4 and the rear end squat's down like in the first picture, well for about a hundred dollars you can get air bags to go in the rear coil springs, add about 30 psi in each bag and squatting goes away. Worth the effort to instal it, maybe 45 minutes for the first bag and 30to do the 2nd when you get the feel of how to do it.

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
24.jpg   AirBagSupportingCaravan.jpg  

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
The thing I don't understand about shower tents is that most/many/some campgrounds really don't want you dumping grey water on the ground. Isn't that kind of the whole idea of a shower tent?
You don't have to let the water run on the ground. I use a small doggie wading pool. There are lots of other possibilities such as under bed storage bins, mortar mixing pans,etc that make a good base.

I use a small electric pump to pump from a solar shower bag, no need to hang the bag.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For an outside shower, I would be inclined to use one like on our trailer, mounted to it and using the supply from the hot and cold water lines of the trailer. Just mount it inside a closet or cabinet.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
I'm somewhat prejudiced owning a Scamp 13 w/shower, it's under 1300, I tow with a 2001 Ranger and can't even tell its back there half the time. Love the shower and flushable toilet, we haven't cooked in it yet cuz we always cook outside but the option is there if we need it.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote