Need help installing a dorm fridge! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Need help installing a dorm fridge!

I'm ready to install a dorm fridge in my 1978 Scamp 13 trailer.

I have removed the lower kitchen cabinet, and have placed the fridge in the location where the Ice Box was installed. The Ice box opening in the fiberglass kitchen cabinet will require some trimming.

However, that part is easy. What I need help with is a secure method to mount the fridge so it will be held in place when the trailer is bouncing down a rough road!

I first took a 4-inch woven nylon strap that I looped over the fridge and secured it on both sides of the fridge. However, that didn't seem to secure the fridge to prevent it from moving as well as I though it should.

Based on messages posted on this Forum, I'm sure that other FG owners have installed dorm type fridges, so I'm hoping that someone will share their knowledge about a better method to hold the fridge in place!

All suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I'm interested as well!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just to throw out an idea. Build a box. Secure the box in the space. Secure the fridge in the box with spray foam on the sides and top. This of course would make removal a chore but it should stay put.

An alternative would be to attach a sheet of plywood to the bottom of the fridge using the screw holes for the bumper feet. Secure the plywood to the floor. Fill the sides and top with rigid foam (blue board, pink board) which is easily cut on a table saw.

What ever your final solution bear in mind that a fridge condenser coil needs air flow to function efficiently. Have fun, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
A PO installed a dorm fridge in my Compact Jr. It sits on 2 studs of 2"x 2" wood with a strap up the sides and over the top. The strap ends are nailed to the studs. The exterior trim touches the fridge on sides, top, and bottom. It has not moved a millimeter in the 11 years I have owned it.

Dorm Frig Covered With Maple Contact Paper Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In our Uhaul I installed a compressor type dorm fridge where the original ice box was, (Haier fridge). Built a box for it to set on which is screwed to the floor. Put fridge in place and bolted it to the box using various hardware store angle brackets as could be fastened to the fridge. Left some space at sides and top of opening in the fiberglass for air movement. After two winters in the trailer and several thousand miles travel it worked fine.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
If a frdge is installed without ventiing to the out doors all the heat from the unit will be in the trailer . With an ice box there is no heat given off , and so is not a factor. A small fridge will produce about 500 watts of heat when operating.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
A PO installed a dorm fridge in my Compact Jr. It sits on 2 studs of 2"x 2" wood with a strap up the sides and over the top. The strap ends are nailed to the studs. The exterior trim touches the fridge on sides, top, and bottom. It has not moved a millimeter in the 11 years I have owned it.
Thanks Rez, Tom, Bob, and Robert for you comments.

I like both the suggestions on building a box, and using straps. I may end up doing both!

This afternoon I re-installed the single strap that I had installed previously. I tried both with the strap laying flat on top of the fridge, and with wood spacers under the strap, as shown in the photo.

I'm wondering if a piece of 1/2" plywood, the size of the fridge's top, placed under the strap on top, would add more holding force? What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp fridge mounting 1.jpg Views: 19 Size: 148.9 KB ID: 92655" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	<a title=Scamp fridge mounting 2.jpg Views: 18 Size: 147.0 KB ID: 92656" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	Scamp fridge mounting 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	92657

I do like the idea of a box or wood cage on the sides and top of the fridge, so maybe I will see if I can find room for the boards around the sides of the fridge.

Thanks again for you very helpful suggestions and comments.

Bill
Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Pop rivet angle aluminum around the frig. box right behind the door. Then cut the cabinet to fit the frig. then pop rivet the angle to the cabinet face. Same as Scamp does with ice boxes and RV frig's. If you can get to it you can also strap it down. You can then put a short piece of angle facing out over the door. Drill through the angle into the top of the door then you can pin the door shut.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Pop rivet angle aluminum around the frig. box right behind the door. Then cut the cabinet to fit the frig. then pop rivet the angle to the cabinet face. Same as Scamp does with ice boxes and RV frig's. If you can get to it you can also strap it down. You can then put a short piece of angle facing out over the door. Drill through the angle into the top of the door then you can pin the door shut.
Eddie
Wow! Eddie, that sounds like that would form a very sturdy unit!

With the lower cabinet not being in place, it's easy to tighten the strap, and adding the aluminum angle strips should also be easy to do.

Yeah, sure...Man plans and God laughs! Nothing is easy when I'm attempting to do it!

Thanks Eddie!

Bill
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #10

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Bill,

I'm getting there... So what did you end up doing?!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
Bill,

I'm getting there... So what did you end up doing?!
I ended up using the strap over the fridge, tighten with a turn-bolt. However, even with a piece of 3/4" plywood under the strap, I didn't think the fridge was very secure.

So, as Eddie suggested, I attached 1" x 1" aluminum angles to the front top and sides of the fridge. Then when I installed the lower kitchen cabinet I used metal screws to attach the cabinet to the pieces of aluminum angle at the front of the fridge.

Not the best looking even with wood trim, but, the fridge seems solid in place.

Name:	Scamp kitchen cabinet with drawers closed.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	94340

Click onto photo to enlarge. Then click again for larger photo!

Since taking this photo i have added a piece of wood trim at the bottom of the fridge. The exposed metal screws need to be covered with white paint.

Good luck,

Bill

Tags
fridge