Need help on 1970 trailswest campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Need help on 1970 trailswest campster

I recently purchased a fixer upper 1970 trailswest campster. While the interior and exterior are in good shape It seems like 'm missing some of the pieces of hardware for the poptop.

Does anyone have a similar trailer that could post some pics of how the mechanism is mounted and also a source for parts? It appears that i'm missing some rollers but i'm not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I posted some awhile back so a search might find them. I have replaced springs but my rollers were intact. If no one has pics and you can't find mine I can take some tomorrow.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's one of Bobbie's posts, with picture: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post90199
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's one of Bobbie's posts, with picture: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post90199
How did you find that, Donna, I couldn't!

I did replace one spring and the pop top goes up and down quite easily and stays where you want it, up or down. I cleaned the tracks but didn't replace anything else. But I think Lisa H. Might have had to repair hers so she may have more info on parts.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

Registry
Alan, can you post pics of what yours has? I will try to get a better picture of the roller mechanism.

I need to replace the rubber part that edges the pop top, anyone know what to use or where to get it?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

poptop mechanism

Bobbie once again i'm coming to you for help ( by the way I'm the guy that got your old cushions a few weeks ago...they are just want I needed.) What I'm looking for is a closeup of the rollers and the track that they slide in. Also any ideas for a source ? I saw in one of your posts that you needed to replace the springs....where did you find them

Thanks in advance

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I posted some awhile back so a search might find them. I have replaced springs but my rollers were intact. If no one has pics and you can't find mine I can take some tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

Registry
Springs were easy, just hardware store. Do you have one spring? If Not I can measure my spare one and tell you how long they are. There is no track unless I remember wrong. I will try to get a closeup of the rollers today.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #8

1970 trailswest

What i'm looking for is a pic of the rollers hardware/ rollers and the track that i believe they should slide in....also does you trailer have some type of brace or something to stabilize the top when it's popped up....something to keep it from moving side to side....mine doesn't seem very solid all though i'm missing some rollers so that may be the reason

Quote:
Springs were easy, just hardware store. Do you have one spring? If Not I can measure my spare one and tell you how long they are. There is no track unless I remember wrong. I will try to get a closeup of the rollers today.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #9

Registry
Here is a picture. It isn't terribly stable up but it does not go anywhere. The spring keeps it up and it locks in place down plus gravity must help as it will stay down without being locked.

If the picture won't load I will try to email it.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1626435869.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Registry
You can see what I need to replace....
Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

1970 trailswest

Thanks.....
A pic can save a million words....I can see what's missing

Quote:
You can see what I need to replace....
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
What i'm looking for is a pic of the rollers hardware/ rollers and the track that i believe they should slide in....also does you trailer have some type of brace or something to stabilize the top when it's popped up....something to keep it from moving side to side....mine doesn't seem very solid all though i'm missing some rollers so that may be the reason
Hi Alan,
After sourcing rollers for my Campster for about 6 months plus, I finally bought replacement rollers from Salim Miro, who makes Shady Boy Awnings for VWs. You can also purchase the tracks from him but it would be a lot more economical if you purchased the metal track at an industrial metal supply store. You can reach Salim at: info at countryhomescampers.com and replace the word "at" with the symbol, no spaces.

You may IM if you need to as I'm not frequenting this website very often lately.
Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster