Need help on wiring new side lights, old scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13 ft
I have a 1978 scamp and the side lights (1 red and 1 orange on each side) are in bad shape so I bought new ones. when getting further into this I realized that there is one wire to the old lights. My new lights have 2 bulbs and 1 wire but when the lights are screwed in that acts as the ground, but the screws are not going to metal so the lights will not work. what is the best way to fix this? help
Drew Bogner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I run a wire with a crimped on eye to the frame or other ground. The eye goes on the bolt that is molded into the light and the nut threads on and holds the light in place. Then you hook up the wire coming out of the light to your tail light circuit.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Like Bob said, you will have to ground the lights. The metal mounting holes are for the ground wires. My old lights were like that as pictured here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4415.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	4000

Note the poor way of how the old ground wire was split and pressed between the old marker light rivet and the body. I removed all of these wires and rivets when I removed the lights. My new lights were like yours with 2 bulbs:

Name:	IMG_4407.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	4003

Since each bulb requires a ground, you will have to run a short wire between each socket set. I put mine inside the light assembly but you can also put the wire inside the body with the ground wire. Use Stainless Steel screws, washers, lock washers, and nuts (I used 8X32 1 inch long). It will make any future repairs a snap. Now crimp a connecting eye to the white grounding wire:

Name:	IMG_4408.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	4004

Hope this helps,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4415.JPG   IMG_4412.JPG  

terryjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #4

I got everything except the white ground wire, where does it go to? I have the same lights as you show!

Quote:
Like Bob said, you will have to ground the lights. The metal mounting holes are for the ground wires. My old lights were like that as pictured here:

Attachment 4000

Note the poor way of how the old ground wire was split and pressed between the old marker light rivet and the body. I removed all of these wires and rivets when I removed the lights. My new lights were like yours with 2 bulbs:

Attachment 4003

Since each bulb requires a ground, you will have to run a short wire between each socket set. I put mine inside the light assembly but you can also put the wire inside the body with the ground wire. Use Stainless Steel screws, washers, lock washers, and nuts (I used 8X32 1 inch long). It will make any future repairs a snap. Now crimp a connecting eye to the white grounding wire:

Attachment 4004

Hope this helps,
Terry
Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Quote:
I got everything except the white ground wire, where does it go to? I have the same lights as you show!
Hi Drew,

You will attach the white wire to one of the mounting screws next to the nut (on the inside of the camper)when you install each of the new light assemblies. The screw will pass the electricity between the white wire and the metal in the lights. The white wire is actually DC - (or ground).

Or do you mean that you can't find the white wire?

Terry
terryjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:13 AM   #6

I never really looked for any other wire but I guess it would have to be behind there somewhere? Would a light just have 1 wire or does it have to have 2? thanks fo the help, I am bad a electric!

Quote:
Hi Drew,

You will attach the white wire to one of the mounting screws next to the nut (on the inside of the camper)when you install each of the new light assemblies. The screw will pass the electricity between the white wire and the metal in the lights. The white wire is actually DC - (or ground).

Or do you mean that you can't find the white wire?

Terry
Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I never really looked for any other wire but I guess it would have to be behind there somewhere? Would a light just have 1 wire or does it have to have 2? thanks fo the help, I am bad a electric!
All electrical circuits have to have two wires (AC or DC). You might think of one wire.. the supply and the other the return or ground. In many DC electrical circuits the metal frame provides the ground connection and it, in turn, is connected to the battery. FG trailers and boats usually run the ground connection directly to the battery since the fiberglass is an insulator.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights, scamp