Need Help Painting Shell!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Quote:
Quite interesting, please, put as much details as you can, where you find everything, pictures with it, I mean everything !!! ;-)

I just did the essential on mine, interior is perfect, new axle, I had to re-do the 12 volts wiring, I think the previous owner didn't knew anything about electricity, well I'm an engineer in that, tonight I did bring my Boler to a good welder to have the frame re-enforced (where it is used to crack in front where it bends toward the tongue, and in fact the driver side of it was starting to crack) since I'm going to make the tour of Gaspesia (2500 Km) in August, I didn't want to take any chances.

Next spring I will restore the exterior.
Hello Michel: I just put some photos on another post in this forum with 3 coats of paint on it and have 3 more to go. Bought all paint materials at WM. Found this system on this website and I think it started in Canada. A guy painted a Dodge charger up their for $50 this way and it looks like a factory job!!! He had painted another vehicle several years ago and he said it still looks good. The way he did was mix mineral spirits about 50% to get the paint very thin and use the high density foam rollers with very thin coats. This is what he did: 1 coat, wait 24hrs. another coat, wait 24hrs, wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper, 2 more coats with 24 hrs apart, wet sand with 800 grit, 2 more coats with 24 hrs apart, wet sand with 1000 grit. I have pretty much followed this procedure except when I did the first wet sanding with 400, I didn't go all over it I just removed the little bumps and stuff that had stuck to it, will probably do more with 800 and 1000 sandings. I think in Canada it is Tremclad paint, here it is Rustoleum, professional gloss oil based paint (gallon) and I am using a gallon of "green" odorless paint thinner. I have not been measuring the thinner, but I add enough to get it almost like water. Seems like the thinner the better it works. I used a 6" long small dia. (1"or so) high density foam roller, which I have never used before, but they are very good. They do not throw paint everywhere like big rollers and they smooth the paint out very well. Gallon of paint, gal. of thinner, Roller frame, 4 extra rollers, sanding block, 3 packs of wet sandpaper totaled $78. Hope this helps. You can do a search on this site for Tremclad and read more about it. Your camper looks good!!!
Harold

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Quote:
Hello Michel: I just put some photos on another post in this forum with 3 coats of paint on it and have 3 more to go. Bought all paint materials at WM. Found this system on this website and I think it started in Canada. A guy painted a Dodge charger up their for $50 this way and it looks like a factory job!!! He had painted another vehicle several years ago and he said it still looks good. The way he did was mix mineral spirits about 50% to get the paint very thin and use the high density foam rollers with very thin coats. This is what he did: 1 coat, wait 24hrs. another coat, wait 24hrs, wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper, 2 more coats with 24 hrs apart, wet sand with 800 grit, 2 more coats with 24 hrs apart, wet sand with 1000 grit. I have pretty much followed this procedure except when I did the first wet sanding with 400, I didn't go all over it I just removed the little bumps and stuff that had stuck to it, will probably do more with 800 and 1000 sandings. I think in Canada it is Tremclad paint, here it is Rustoleum, professional gloss oil based paint (gallon) and I am using a gallon of "green" odorless paint thinner. I have not been measuring the thinner, but I add enough to get it almost like water. Seems like the thinner the better it works. I used a 6" long small dia. (1"or so) high density foam roller, which I have never used before, but they are very good. They do not throw paint everywhere like big rollers and they smooth the paint out very well. Gallon of paint, gal. of thinner, Roller frame, 4 extra rollers, sanding block, 3 packs of wet sandpaper totaled $78. Hope this helps. You can do a search on this site for Tremclad and read more about it. Your camper looks good!!!
Harold
Some photos of paint job with foam roller
Attached Thumbnails
painted_hunter_001.JPG   painted_hunter_002.JPG  

painted_hunter_003.JPG  

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #17

Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Some photos of paint job with foam roller
Awsome, thank you very much, very helpful. I will try it next spring. Very appreciated.

You did a very fine job.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #18

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Hi Michel, I think I read the same thread on this site last year. The name of the product used was INTERLUX. it is used to paint boats and the gentleman that used it to paint his compact jr said it worked verry nice. he had to chase a few bubles but did it wioth a foam brush. I was thinking of trying this myself this winter on m y compact jr. if I remeber correctly, I think he said it only cost him about $100! not bad. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
Just a hint for a better finish.........
Yes, the foam roller will leave a million tiny bubbles on the surface of your pant job but this is followed by using a small high quality brush and wisking the paint very gently. Keep your brush dry and use just the ends of the bristles and brush lightly, across the lines of the roller. Also too heavy a coat will bubble more. Go for a couple of lighter coats instead of one heavy one. This will break most of the tiny bubbles leaving a smooth surface. This was advice given to me by the marine shop where I purchased the paint and it worked well.
The rollers that were recomended for a bubble free (almost) finish are Dynamic Flocked Foam imported by Paint Sundry Products Inc.

Tags
paint, painting