Need help with a Maxxair window vent install on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Need help with a Maxxair window vent install on a Scamp

Ok so I have my Maxxair window vent all cut to size etc but I am wondering what others who have installed them on Scamps have done about cutting the middle window wiper portion.

Did you cut it the full length of the vent to fit snug from end to end per the instructions? I have done that but it appears that doing it that way with the raised metal lip around the window frame it does not fit snug even if I cut off the flex part of the window wipper. The metal window lip needs to be able to fit into the indented part of the vent which is not do able with the window wiper in place over it.

Wondering if I should just cut it to fit snug between the upper and lower window lip only. If anyone has done that could you let me know how you finished off the remaining top and bottom parts. Did you just use the rubber seal that you used on the rest of the vent?

Got this far with it don't want to mess it up now!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yo Joy A... This topic is for you!!! Carol, I know Joy A has installed the Maxx Air Window Vents on her Scamp. Hopefully she'll answer up soon.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks Donna so do I. Its yet another of her mods that I was inspired to try out. I checked her album out on the Scamp site and she does have a picture of her window vent but it was taken from the back so I can't see what she did with the wiper at the front. LOL the troubles I find myself in due to that girls ideas! Hope she doesn't come up with to many more! =:-))
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I don't know if this helps, but there are some pictures on the Maxxair site showing it installed:

Window/Maxx | Latest

Looking at the pictures, it seems that if you install one of these things, you cannot open the window beyond it. YMMV

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks Roger they have good instructions on site and with the product but the Scamp window frame is a bit different than the ones they show.

You can still open the window all the way once its install but if you want to keep the rain then it only goes about 5 to 6" which is good enough for venting.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You have plastic spacers that go on the screws that keep the plastic body raised and off the metal trim. The rubber seal goes around the plastic and keeps it watertight. As you tighten the screws with the spacers, it will fit tight. You slit the vertical rubber trim, top and bottom to allow the window to slide freely.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I cut ours to fit the contour at the top and bottom,and to reach the full length of the inside of the vent, it has performed well for more than 6 years so far.
you can of course open the window completely, but it must be kept closed far enough for the seal to engage in order for the vent to work as designed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks Floyd and Cpaharley the problem was I read the instructions first and it said if the gap was 3/8" between the vent and the glass you did not need the spacers and that you should cut off the floppy part of the flexible gasket that goes around the outside of it. That was a mistake due to the metal trim piece which I did not realize until after I had cut off the floopy part of the outside trim. Think I am going to call them and see if I can order another flexible gasket to replace the one I cut so I can use the spacers to solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Let me give you a hint ( I have installed 4 of these kits on prior trailers) you may have enough vent left over to do a second window. In the past I would call them and ask about replacement parts. I explained that I broke a piece or that I wanted to make a second cover. Every time they sent me, gratis, another set of end caps and rubber trim so that I was able to make a second cover and able to cover 2 windows with one kit. I think there are 6 spacers and I only used 3 per window, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle !! No harm in asking!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks I do indeed have enough vent left over for a second one!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, here I am.

I don't know if my pictures will help but here's a couple. I cut the perimeter gasket to fit all the way around, from top to bottom.

The window gasket was cut to fit the entire length. Because it overlaps the window frame I cut a matching slot so the gasket drags easily on both the window and the frame.

As someone else said, there are spacers included which I may have used. I recall that a spacer or two was too long and the gaskets didn't hit the frame nor window. I added my WindowMaxx some 9 years ago so I don't remember if I used the supplied spacers or made my own.

In one of the pictures you'll see that I cut a small notch at the bottom to let water drain out.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7949.JPG   109_7950.JPG  

109_7945.JPG   109_7946.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #12

Registry
Thank you Ms. Queen of mods! As soon as I saw yours in Bandon I decided it was a have to have! :-) My problem is I messed up in measuring the distant from the glass to the vent (forgot to measure the raised portion of the frame) and thought I could get away without using the spacers so I cut some of the gasket I should not have. They are sending me a new gasket and yup I need to use the spacers. My window frame is actually a little different than yours but none the less the pictures help for sure.

Should have it sorted out by the next Bandon meet and will hope you haven't done any more mods that I decide I have got to try. This one has been the most challenging to date! LOL
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, I think I'm winding down on the mods as the only one I did this year was to add a 12V outlet on the side of the Scamp. But I still have lots of old ones that might be nice for you.

The only mod I currently have in mind would be to add a larger fresh water tank under the trailer. I'll have to have one made as the pre-mades won't fit since the factory added an additional cross bar for the rear receiver. Anyway if I ever have a tank made I'd remove the inside fresh water tank, then put an access door on the side of the trailer. Wow, more storage...ooooo!!

See you in July at Oregon if not sooner....going to Taidnapam, WA in June?? I am.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #14

Registry
Joy an outside hatch sounds intreasting and something I would indeed like but think I will leave that one with you! My nerves may be done on the cutting fiberglass - the one for the closet shelves was one thing but the one into the roof for the fan almost did me - not sure my heart would take me cutting another big one into the outside of the trailer. LOL Instead I think I will try and find my girly side and cut some fabric for new slip covers.

Still iffy on Taidnapam but Oregon for sure.

Thanks again for the help.

Tags
scamp