Need help with camping ideas---special circumstances - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Need help with camping ideas---special circumstances

Need semi-full time campsite around San Francisco, preferably towards the south between the city and Palo Alto. Our daughter is 7 months pregnant and has been ordered to stay in the hospital for the remainder of her pregnancy due to her heart arrythmia. We could be of assistance to her husband, who really needs to continue working, and their 3 year old daughter. There is no room for my husband and me to sleep in their tiny San Francisco apartment. But we could be very comfortable sleeping in our Escape 17B if we could find a safe place to park. We can survive without hookups! Advance thank you to anyone who might have an idea!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This would be a good place to start. https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Hope you can find something!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
There is a good public transportation system in San Francisco, so if you could find a spot that BART services you could take the train into town each day. Parking is over the top expensive so this is our choice when we go into,the city.
Sorry for your troubles, congratulations on your new grandchild.
BART is wide spread and between the local city bus systems and BART, it is possible to get just about anywhere in the greater Bay Area. It is pretty easy to navigate too..
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Depending on whether it is conveniently located or not, you might also ask the hospital. It is not uncommon for hospitals to allow RV parking on their property when a long term stay is needed by family members -- and you don't have a huge unit that takes up lots of space. Good luck.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was thinking along the same lines, and I would work through the social worker assigned to your daughter's case. All hospitals have them, and part of their job description is assisting with exactly these kinds of family support arrangements. They would be well acquainted with housing hardships in the Bay Area and have resources and contacts. Often they have special negotiated rates available as well.

Both our daughters were born prematurely and hospitalized for a month after birth in a city 4 hours from our home. Hospital social services helped us with the arrangements both times.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Local area churches may also be able to help.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Thank you for your thoughts. The solution that seems to be working out the most flawlessly is the suggestion of working through the hospital social work dept. They have been extremely helpful in offering low cost suggestions for housing in nearby hotels with whom they have arrangements, and even local volunteers who will host family members of patients in their homes (extra bedroom & bath or private suites with kitchen). Unfortunately, they will allow a camper in the hospital parking lot for no longer than a week. So if we have to leave our camper at home, at least we will have other options that are affordable. Thanks to all who responded!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
another thing to consider is CalTrain, it goes down the peninsula as far south as Gilroy... there's a few campgrounds in the Coyote and San Martin areas, and a fast train ride to within about a mile of Stanford Hospital (assuming thats where she is). there's also shuttle service between Caltrain and the campus.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
places

you are right in contacting ss at the hospital. at our main hospital here I see campers setting all the time. the hospital also has small apartments somewhere just for you folks.

I am glad things are going good for you

God bless

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
You might also look to see if there is an RV Park around Pacifica or even further south in Montera or even Half Moon Bay. Good luck!
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #11

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
You might also look to see if there is an RV Park around Pacifica or even further south in Montera or even Half Moon Bay. Good luck!
those would be a gnarly commute to Stanford Hospital. the 2-lane mountain road from HMB to San Mateo is a crawl for hours every day.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Perhaps I misread the post but I did not see anywhere in the OP that the hospital was Stanford. Because their daughter lives in SF, I assumed the hospital was there. If the hospital is indeed in Palo Alto then yes that is a bad commute. However someplace like let's say, UCSF from Pacifica is a piece of cake especially if you know the backstreets. Montara and Half Moon Bay south was mostly a suggestion if no other inland place can be found. People do commute from there. The Bay Area is a hard nut when it comes to any kind of affordable housing.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
Well, she said 'between SF and Palo Alto' and that the daughter's tiny apartment was in SF, so I guess I assumed the hospital was Stanford, in PA. anyways, that's where many seriously difficult medical cases in nor-cal seem to end up, Stanford Hospital.