Need Help With Front Bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unhappy

I'm wanting to replace the cushion covers in the dinette and need to totally figure out how to put the bunk bed back in. The previous owner had removed the back/upper bunk and had put in a very thick cushion to sleep on. Nice, but I've got a couple kids and want the bunk configuration back.

I was thinking to buy it all from Scamp but after your post I am thinking it would be better not to buy the entire set, including the plywood back from them -- mostly due to shipping costs! Getting just the covers sounds much more economical. Thanks for the figures.

** Someone had posted that the full replacement covers/cushions/plywood cost $480 (not bad) but an additional $180 for shipping. The plywood most likely being the heavy item.**

Does anyone know the thickness of the plywood to use and if the Scamp back is hinged to fit the conture of the trailer?
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Plywood is 3/4 if I recall and is hinged on each end to bend to contour of trailer.
I believe there are some threads on how to construct them if you use the search for +bunk +bed or some such.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
maggie, i don't know what these materials cost from scamp, but this is a simple job you can figure out and execute in an afternoon.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you're not in a hurry maybe there's some alternatives to high cost shipping. You might contact Scamp and see what they have to say. Do they have a trailer delivery someplace close to you where you could meet the delivery guy, is one thought. Just thinking outside the box.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #5

I had seen a real interesting post about someone putting a bunk back into a Boler, I believe, with photos and lots of good info. They did the plywood themselves and were going to staple gun fabric over the foam. (I have a Scamp but think it might be basiclly the same idea.)

With my luck, now I can't find the posting.

My teenager is now sleeping on the floor and that makes it close to impossible to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night! Or make breakfast when she wants to sleep in a little. I'm wanting to do a longer trip next spring and think it might be a bit more usable if I put the bunk back in.

At the present time, the backless gaucho is everyones favorite spot to sit. The previous owner took out the back, put in thick cushions -- so it is very comfortable during the day (with pillows for back rest) but at night there aren't enough beds to go around.

Seems as if there are a few postings of either people taking out the bunk or wanting it back in!

With the top bunk and 3/4 plywood -- anyone know what the weight limit would be?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The weight limit if I recall correctly is 80lbs.
So if ur wanting a teenager up there you'll have to do a different reinforced type bunk setup.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe the plywood is less than 3/4" but don't know for sure (Call Scamp and ask!). I reinforced mine on the long axis to take my weight, but eventually it started sinking 'cupping' so I was sleeping in a ditch.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I had seen a real interesting post about someone putting a bunk back into a Boler, I believe, with photos and lots of good info. They did the plywood themselves and were going to staple gun fabric over the foam. (I have a Scamp but think it might be basiclly the same idea.)

With my luck, now I can't find the posting.
That's because the person who did it, called the front furniture a "couch." I searched for "couch" and found this.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
That's because the person who did it, called the front furniture a "couch."
Thanks for the heads up Frederick... I edited the topic title to include (Front Gaucho), hopefully will make searching easier next time

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Maggie,

I have the couch back in front of me here in my dining room. I just took the couch back off in May but will be storing it and the dinette cushions for the time being. I'm still attached to them, thinking that if I ever sell my trailer I'll include them with the trailer. Ten to one the foam wll be junk by then and the cloth will be thread bare.

Any way, it's 3/4 plywood with 4 inch foam. The front straight edge is 6 foot 1 inch wide. The couch back is 23 inches deep in the center. The ends are curved to match the curve of the trailer. 6 inches on both ends are cut then hinged back on. This allows the couch back to curve with the trailer when down and lie flat when in use as a bed. There are only 2 hinges that affix the couch back to the trailer. You should be able to see the holes where they had been attached and place your hinges in the same place.

The dimensions above are for using the couch back with a couch seat that is only 4 inches thick. A thicker seat would not allow the couch back to be as upright and comfortable as you might like. You may have to re-do the seat as well.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #11

Thanks for the link. That's exactly the one I was looking for (but couldn't locate again).

Also, thanks for the measurements. I'm thinking to store the custom bottom cushions in the attic, just in case we don't like it as a bunk set up. It is a nice sitting area as is.

Our Scamp has a small green canvas fabric 'bunk' (we were told by previous owner that it was for a child's bed) that is high above the couch area, so theory is that 3 could sleep there in the front but . . . I wouldn't put a child up there. We use it to store our bedding.

The teen would be too heavy then for the top bunk, with out reinforcements. I also have a 3 year old but . . . will have to think about inventing a safty railing if I put her in the top bunk (or in our case, the middle bunk).

Thanks for your input!