Need help with Idaho trailer requirements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It looks like I have found a trailer in Idaho and hope to pick it up this week-end.
I need to get a temp permit to move the trailer from Idaho to Canada. I can not get a permit/insurance for it here in Canada until I have cleared it at the border.
Can anyone tell me how to get a temp permit/insurance in Idaho??
Can I get it from an insurance broker or do I have to do to a DMV office?

thanks
Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How exciting!! Until someone answers up that can give you a definitive answer, perhaps you'd like to read this: Idaho > DMV Guide > Registration & Titling

Here's the Idaho Home Page: Your Online Guide to the Idaho DMV

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
Congratulations. Each County in Idaho has their own DMV office. You have to take your trailer to the office in that County and have the VIN # verified, and the title transferred on a Temporary Permit to transport. You can name the # of days you wish.

Interesting, I bought a trailer in Edmonton 2 years ago and had to do the reverse process. If you wish to email me with the city in Idaho, I will email you the location of the DMV. Typically, DMV offices are closed on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

In Idaho, public liability and propertydamage for trailers follows the towing vehicle. Insurance for replacement value of the trailer would have to be purchased from an insurance agent (separate and apart from the DMV). So, I believe if you bring proof of insurance for your tow vehicle, towing will work out OK until you get to Canada.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Congratulations. Each County in Idaho has their own DMV office. You have to take your trailer to the office in that County and have the VIN # verified, and the title transferred on a Temporary Permit to transport. You can name the # of days you wish.

Interesting, I bought a trailer in Edmonton 2 years ago and had to do the reverse process. If you wish to email me with the city in Idaho, I will email you the location of the DMV. Typically, DMV offices are closed on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

In Idaho, public liability and propertydamage for trailers follows the towing vehicle. Insurance for replacement value of the trailer would have to be purchased from an insurance agent (separate and apart from the DMV). So, I believe if you bring proof of insurance for your tow vehicle, towing will work out OK until you get to Canada.
Thanks Donna and Raunie for the info. I did talk to a nice lady at the DMV in the town in Idaho were we will be picking up the trailer and she explained it all to me. So that's covered. We have a four day week-end here so we can do it first thing Monday morning in Idaho. Now the only issue is getting insurance here as we can not get that until the trailer is register here in BC.... we went through this when we imported a car last fall. With the car the dealer US side managed to get us coverage to get it home. Once we got it home we then had to wait until all the registration papers came through before we could get insurance and thus drive it. Will have to figure it out what to do in this case....
Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Congradulations...The suspence is killing me... What kind of "Easter Egg" did you find in Idaho??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Hi: Congradulations...The suspence is killing me... What kind of "Easter Egg" did you find in Idaho??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
We found a very nice couple who are having to part with their 92 Scamp 16'.

Will give full report on it once we return from picking it up.

Carol