Need Help With Installation of Fantastic Fan in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I purchased a Fantastic Fan to install on my 16' Scamp.
Will be putting it over the table at the back The previous owners removed a TV Ant from that location and it left a hole that has been poorly patched and will have to be fixed properly or as I am hoping to do - just make the hole bigger to fit the fan.

There is a light in this location already - so I was going to remove it and use it's wiring for the fan. Will the wires that are there work for the fan?

What tool is best for cutting the hole in the fiberglass with?

What size of spacer do I need to make the fan trim fit correctly. I know I can reduce the trim down to an inch but suspect that is not enough. Do I need to buy a spacer from manufacture or can I make a spacer from wood? If anyone has photo's of an install I would love to see them.

Do I need to use the foam gasket that came with the fan?

Do I use the screws that came with the fan for screwing down on the top or do I use rivets or shorter screws?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Hi Carol,

A jigsaw with a fine toothed blade will cut through your fibreglass. The existing wires will work for your fan. I used the foam gasket and stainless bolts to install my fan. You can use butyl tape instead and then put a dab of caulking on top of the bolt heads. I am going to make a spacer from wood or pieces of scrap foam.

Check out the video.

Kevin Johnston
Calgary, Alberta
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/index.htm

You can give Frank a call, he's got a curved trim bezel (for Airstreams and other curved trailers)

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/image...amtrimbezel.jpg
Kenny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Hi Carol,

A jigsaw with a fine toothed blade will cut through your fibreglass. The existing wires will work for your fan. I used the foam gasket and stainless bolts to install my fan. You can use butyl tape instead and then put a dab of caulking on top of the bolt heads. I am going to make a spacer from wood or pieces of scrap foam.

Check out the video.

Kevin Johnston
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks Kevin for the good video link. What size bolts did you use? I am going to use Butyl tape as I have found in replacing other bits that it works really well at sealing.

I wish the video showed how he actually triming it as that is the part that has me more than a bit puzzled. I would like to use wood as a spacer so that it matches my other vent trim but wonder about how you are suppose to attach the trim to the trailer roof? I know the trim has four holes but what do you attach to? as there will be bolts in that position of the roof coming down from the top which holding the fan in place so you can not bolt it back up into the roof. Hummm.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/index.htm

You can give Frank a call, he's got a curved trim bezel (for Airstreams and other curved trailers)

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/image...amtrimbezel.jpg
Thanks Kenny the problem is not with the shape of the trim as much as it is designed to fit on a much thicker roof. It can be cut down to 1" thick but that is still to thick so its needs a space between the roof and the trim. Not sure how to attach it back to the roof with a spacer in place.

Carol
Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
fantastic fan has a special trim kit for our fibreglass trailers. You have to call them and ask for it special, I'm not sure what it costs, but doubt it's much.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
fantastic fan has a special trim kit for our fibreglass trailers. You have to call them and ask for it special, I'm not sure what it costs, but doubt it's much.
Thanks Joe will call them tomorrow.

Carol
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #8

Registry
I called the Fan-Tastic Vent Corp. directly and they are sending me the needed spacers to fit a fiderglass trailer at no charge. No need to make a spacer up myself. That's just to easy!

Carol

Tags
scamp