Need new front jack - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Need new front jack

16 foot scamp

Looking for a jack with a front handle so I have room to move the propane tanks closer to the front and install dual 6v batteries in a box behind the propane tanks. The handle that turns up top does not allow me to move the tanks forward as the current jack handle crashes into the tanks. Something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	61673

Anybody know a good place to get one of these and the size/length it needs to be?

Edited to add: This is what I guess they look like -- called a side-wind. Can these jacks be turned in any direction to mount so the handle is in the front position? This particular one gives no height and drop, but does it look like it would work on a 16' Scamp?

SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Sharon, I welded a 3/4" nut to the top of our jack (removed crank handle) and use my 18 volt electric drill with 3/4" socket to raise & lower the tongue. I did the same thing to my scissor jacks just behind the wheels to level side to side, or to change the tires to 8" rims to fit our Scamp in our garage. If my drill ever stops working, I can simply use a ratchet in place of the drill. This ratchet would also work for your tank vs crank issues.
Dave & Paula

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Atwood, among others, makes this side-wind 1,000 lb. A-frame jack. I just put one on my Bigfoot. I got it from my local RV parts dealer. Download the PDF here and look on page 16.

Atwood Chassis Components Brochure
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
You might give E a try. They have just about everything one might need for their trailer.

A-Frame Trailer Jack - Sidewind - 1,000 lbs. by Dutton-Lainson Dutton-Lainson Trailer Jack DL22530
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Like Gage says, I've bought a couple from etrailer, but there are different extension lengths, and watch the retracted measurement, the distance from the mounting flange to the bottom of the tube, as that varies.
mary and bob is online now   Reply With Quote