Need new tire replacement info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Say what?
That is simply untrue.
Well, yes and no. Most cars and trucks run around empty most of the time. Since they typically have room in their weight capacity for 3-4 additional people and luggage/cargo weight, they are typically at around 2/3 of their weight rating most of the time.

Then there are the people with extra fuel tanks, big tool boxes and lots of "emergency" supplies in their vehicle so that it is near gross even when there isn't anybody in it.

Most of us keep our RVs full of stuff but with less than full tanks when we are going somewhere. As time goes by we tend to put more stuff in them. It is not unheard of to have an RV that is overloaded, even with empty tanks.

On the other hand there are people who are very careful about adding anything to their RV and keep it as light as possible so that it never reaches the gross weight. Instead they put all of the junk in the tow vehicle.

So you could be driving around in a car or truck that is at the max with a lightly loaded trailer or vice versa. There is no one solution.

I think it is more likely that our RVs are close to their weight limit than our tow vehicles though. As for myself, I just replaced my tires. I could have been fine with D or even C rated tires but I got E rated tires so that even at the rated gross for the trailer I still have a 30% safety margin on the tires.

There are a lot of different possibilities but I wouldn't call ehoepner a liar based on his statement in post #14. No statement is absolutely true but I think he is more right than wrong there.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote