Need new tire replacement info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Need new tire replacement info

I am going to replace the tires on my 2018 Scamp13 asap and want to hear from those who have replaced their tires on their Scamp as well. Read too many stories about "China Bombs" that have me worried about any additional traveling with the existing Mastertrack tires on my Scamp.

So let me hear about the "Good Tires" I should be looking for and what to stay away from. Existing tires are ST175/80R13 "C" rating. I put 7,000 miles on these tires and lets say that I just got lucky and did not experience any failures with the single axle set up.

Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
There is no reason to trust those stories. All radial trailer tires sold in USA are good. Just keep them inflated to maximum pressure and replace after 5-6 years.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well you are not the first to ask that question...

My thoughts about cheap tires on a Scamp can be read here:

If you go to post # 72 in that thread you will see my tire choice.

My tire purchase was planned but executed just a little sooner than planned due to a blowout at 65 MPH.

I have not put many miles on them yet but I like them so far. I did not have any issues with clearance. I likely would have had to trim a wheel well edge (on the shell) on the starboard side if I had gone to 14 inch tires and wheels.

My second choice for tires is Maxxis, D rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
There is no reason to trust those stories. All radial trailer tires sold in USA are good. ...
Well there is "good", "better" and "best". My bad experiences with "good" ST tires has led me to buy better or best.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Sorry Sergey,
But as Gordon says "there are good, better & best". When my life and the people around me depend on the rubber that meets the road, I want the best. Better to be safe than sorry. So far it looks like Carlisle may be my choice, unless there is something better.

Jack
Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It really doesn't matter which tire you use. The more important thing is tire pressure. Keep the tires at side wall pressure (That's the maximum molded into the side walll)_ and keep your travel speed at 60 mph or below.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
China makes great products, good products and lousy products. So do most other countries. I wonder how many people bashing China tires are doing so on their Made in China computers? Buying tires solely on the lowest price is likely a mistake, regardless of country of origin. A lot more cars are sold in China every year than the USA, so its not suprising many tire manufacturers have built plants there.

In 2018, almost 24 million new cars were sold in China, versus about 5 million in the USA. Tire companies have to choose between missing out on a lot of sales, or building tire plants in China.

My Carlisle tires were made in China, so far, I've gotten very good service out of them. I put over 50,000 miles on the first set on my Escape, and replaced them early ahead of a trip to AK last year.

I'm old enough to remember the Firestone 500 tire fiasco, made in USA tires FWIW.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
China makes great products, good products and lousy products. So do most other countries. I wonder how many people bashing China tires are doing so on their Made in China computers? Buying tires solely on the lowest price is likely a mistake, regardless of country of origin. A lot more cars are sold in China every year than the USA, so its not suprising many tire manufacturers have built plants there.

In 2018, almost 24 million new cars were sold in China, versus about 5 million in the USA. Tire companies have to choose between missing out on a lot of sales, or building tire plants in China.

My Carlisle tires were made in China, so far, I've gotten very good service out of them. I put over 50,000 miles on the first set on my Escape, and replaced them early ahead of a trip to AK last year.

I'm old enough to remember the Firestone 500 tire fiasco, made in USA tires FWIW.
Bill,

Thanks for that. It's becoming very tiresome to hear folks declare that ANYTHING from China is junk. Just not true. US companies must have their products made there or face going out of business. Consumers want low prices. The products are accurately made as per the specs they receive from US companies. So why blame China?

Of course there are poorly built items. When the specs sent over there were based on price, more than quality. And, of course, there are high quality items, built from specs that were based on quality.

Low priced DOT approved tires are also made in Viet Nam. Where is the outrage about those?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Low priced DOT approved tires are also made in Viet Nam. Where is the outrage about those?

In that case, it was US bombs.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's your best choice for that application....

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-hd
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
I am going to replace the tires on my 2018 Scamp13 asap and want to hear from those who have replaced their tires on their Scamp as well. Read too many stories about "China Bombs" that have me worried about any additional traveling with the existing Mastertrack tires on my Scamp.

So let me hear about the "Good Tires" I should be looking for and what to stay away from. Existing tires are ST175/80R13 "C" rating. I put 7,000 miles on these tires and lets say that I just got lucky and did not experience any failures with the single axle set up.

Jack
Hi: Lockman... Check out Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Made in the USA!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:21 AM   #11

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Escape uses Carlisle tires on their new trailers, and they seem to be excellent quality.

Goodyear Endurance also have excellent reputations, though I'm a bit warier of Goodyear after the terrible Marathon tires plus the G159 fiasco.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I don't believe Goodyear makes a 13" Endurance tire. I had good luck with 3 sets of 15" Maxxis tires on my Escape 17...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Correct. No 13” Goodyear Endurance. 14” is the smallest they make.

I currently have 13” Carlisles on my Scamp 13. Since then my dealer recently switched to Maxxis as their premium small ST tire. Not sure why.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Which Tires to Purchase

Unlike car tires, our trailer tire are working at maximum load all the time. Tire pressure is critical, use the maximum tire pressure as printed on the side of the tire.

The other important topic concerning trailer tires is the date the tire was manufactured.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

In the example below:
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
Manufactured during 2007
Attached Thumbnails
tire picture.jpg  
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Correct. No 13” Goodyear Endurance. 14” is the smallest they make.

I currently have 13” Carlisles on my Scamp 13. Since then my dealer recently switched to Maxxis as their premium small ST tire. Not sure why.
Because they are a very good ST tire choose. Lots of folks in my part of the world running them for a number of years with no issues. I switched from Goodyear to Maxxis 3 years ago when it became the only ST tire my local shop would carry. No complaints re ride or wear from me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Hey people,

Thanks for all your input, that's what I like about this forum, lots of good information gets tossed about. As for the tires, I believe it all boils down to one thing. You get what you pay for. My thoughts in life have always been "always buy the best you can afford".

Thanks,

Jack
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Need new tire replacement info

I upgraded my Scamp OEM tires from ST175/80 13 to Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R 14. Have 18,885 miles on these Goodyear tires and no sign of tread ware.

The attached Trailer Tire Log show Scamp tire selection covering a 9 year period and 90,000 miles of RV travel from the Texas boarder to Canada and from coast to coast.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Tire Log.pdf (94.7 KB, 13 views)
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
Unlike car tires, our trailer tire are working at maximum load all the time. ......

Say what?
That is simply untrue.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
When I rebuilt my Scamp I had to replace the axle and since no brakes were available for the 4 lug wheels I had that meant a choice.
My choice was to put 14" 5 lug wheels on which in my case meant new wheel wells for clearance.
I checked all of the options and carefully chose wheels and tires from Pep Boys whit genuine Chinese tires, hoping that the much higher ratings for the tires and wheels I bought would not only support the added weight from all of my modifications, but provide greater margins of safety as well.
So far with over 20,000 miles that has proven to work out OK.
We are about to leave on a long trip from Navarre to the Great South West.
With plenty of tread left I assume they will make this trip as well.
Of course the main worry would be a blow out or separation.
When I replace these tires I will probably go with Maxxis but so far....
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #20

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
PA
Weight is also a very important issue. If you are carrying more than the rated weight on your axle and have torsion suspension. Your tires will wear out on the inboard sides very quickly.
Don't go by manufacturers specs on the nameplate. My trailer was overweight with just fluids and a few items in it. Have it weighed. If you carry a lot consider upgrading the axle. About 400 dollars and a few hours work.
Siepierski is offline   Reply With Quote