Need repair help recommendations in Alberta - near Calgary - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Need repair help recommendations in Alberta - near Calgary

I'm one of those 5er owners with excessive wear on the curbside tire! Have read the recent thread on the subject so I have a list made of possible causes (and I have definitely under inflated the tires but only the one is really bad). I am in Three Hills, AB visiting family (drove up from Texas) and the best tire place option here is Cal-Tire. Not sure what is the best way to have this checked out. Does anyone in this area have any recommendations for where to go or what type of a shop I should be looking for? There are a lot of RV places near Calgary but I'm thinking a tire shop might be better. Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Guessing you want to replace the tires. Best bet is yes a tire shop. Kal tire is alright, so is Fountain Tire (good year). Another good place is a smaller chain called OK Tire. These are more of a mom and pop store and so far I have good luck with the two shops I've used.

Be sure to call around and see what you can find. Western RV and Woodys RV are the two largest dealers/ service centers in that end of the province if a tire shop doesn't work for you.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
What's "excessive wear"?
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How OLD are the tires? What's the BORN on date? What's the tire pressure? According to the tire or according to Scamp? How are you loading the trailer? Lots of questions.. but they ALL have value
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Texas
tire wear

Both tires looked good whenI left home!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	62987
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Texas
Haven't figured out where the born date is yet. Tire pressure today was 37PSI and the tire says it should be 50. Am thinking I need to move pots and pans to the other side of the trailer but I don't think I am overloading. Need to find a scale and get an accurate weight cause I'm just guessing. I'm going to talk to the tire shop tomorrow and see if they deal with trailers and see what I can learn.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

Kansas
What load rating are they?

It looks to me like the pressure was simply too low. I'm guessing you're right at/over weight rating with the pressure at 50.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
overinflation = center wear
underinflation = edge wear
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Tire pressure today was 37PSI and the tire says it should be 50.
I'm sure the tire actually says that the inflation pressure should be no more than 50 psi, and that it must be 50 psi to have the listed capacity. This leads to...
Quote:
Am thinking I need to move pots and pans to the other side of the trailer but I don't think I am overloading. Need to find a scale and get an accurate weight cause I'm just guessing.
Scamp put bizarrely small tires on the 19-foot model for years, and if the load is uneven side-to-side the heavy side could be easily overloaded, especially at a low pressure. What size, type (presumably ST), and load range (C? D?) are these tires?

The truck scales along Alberta highways are free for anyone to use, and when they are closed (so trucks don't need to stop) the scale and outside display are left on so you can still use them. It looks like there's one on Highway 9 near Morrin (north of Three Hills).
Alberta Scale Locations
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Texas
The tires are Carlisle ST205/75D/15 Load Range C 1820LB (825kg) side wall 4ply.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #11

Kansas
Those could be close to maxed out with max pressure. You have the room, I would go bigger. I have 225/75/15 10 ply rating on mine. I had to trim a small bit on one wheel well, but I only have the 3"spacer, not the extra 1.5" one, also.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Although I have no problem with Jared's idea of going even bigger, that's already much bigger than the traditional 13" Scamp 19 size, and larger even than the current 14" Scamp 19 size. That quoted capacity (which is only when inflated to 50 psi and not exceeding 65 mph) is higher than the axle capacity, so it is suitably sized (by trailer standards) and I hope the actual load isn't close to that.

I don't know which of three different current Carlisle bias-ply ST tires these might be, but it doesn't matter much because the Tire & Rim Association's ST standards set standard load capacity values for a given size of ST tire... all ST205/75D15 (and ST205/75R15) Load Range C tires of any model have the same capacity.

Even at 37 psi, the capacity of one of these tires would be about 1545 pounds per tire. Axle weights on Scamp 19 trailers weighed in actual camping conditions and listed in http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html range from 2420 to 3000 pounds. It seems unlikely that this tire has been significantly overloaded, unless
  1. this Scamp is unusually heavily loaded, or
  2. the load is very uneven side-to-side, or
  3. the tire was running at even less than 37 psi

I'm not sure what "side wall 4ply" is intended to indicate here: "4 ply rating" means Load Range C, and current radial tires would not have 4 actual plies in the side wall... maybe bias-ply tires do, but I suspect this is just the "ply rating".
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
overinflation = center wear
underinflation = edge wear
Yes, but I also see a repeating pattern in the worn area, suggesting perhaps more going on than simple underinflation.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but I also see a repeating pattern in the worn area, suggesting perhaps more going on than simple underinflation.
True.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #15

Texas
Went to the tire shop

Kal Tire does not do the mechanical work on the trailers - only the tires. The guy says they don't usually balance trailer tires either that its not necessary. I think I would want that done. He also said he recomends using a radial tire not the bias that I have. He thinks the ride is easier on the trailer than the stiffer ride with the bias. He sent me to another place in Three Hills (Big Foot) that mainly works on big trucks but does do trailers. They are booked up for three weeks as they are short staffed since it is harvest season here. That doesn't leave me much time to get any parts ordered in if they find anything serious. He says I might want to go into Calgary and have one of the RV places look at it that they have access to axles and other parts more quickly.

I am debating opening this can of worms up here or maybe waiting till I get back into the states to do it. I leave here early Sept and head for Idaho and I think I prefer to buy tires down there so I have some kind of warranty from someplace like Discount Tire. I wont be doing hardly any hauling this month - just living in the driveway! I think my next move will be to go to a weigh scale and find out what my actual weights are - over all and on each side if I can do it so I at least have that peice of the puzzle sorted out.

I'm thinking if I wait until I'm back over the border I can put my spare on where the worst (curb) tire is. It looks brand new - I'm guessing ithas never touched the road. I'd have the tire shop do it and check it for me. I did find the date on the bad tire, 3710 which I understand means the 37th week of 2010. Couldn't find the date on the other tire it wasn't in the same spot.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
I did find the date on the bad tire, 3710 which I understand means the 37th week of 2010. Couldn't find the date on the other tire it wasn't in the same spot.
The "DOT code" which includes that date is usually only moulded into one side of the tire, and the tires can be turned either way when mounted on the wheel, so it might be on the outer side of one tire and the inner side of another tire. If it is on the inner side, to see it you need to take the wheel off the trailer, or get under the trailer.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #17

Texas
Update on the tire resolution

Went to an RV place in Hayden Id that had an alignment machine. They checked out everything and found no problems with the axle, frame, bearings etc. They recommended going to a heavier duty 8 ply radial instead of a bias or 6 ply radial to make sure I was under the weight rating. I spoke with Kent at Scamp and he agreed with them so I now have Gladiator 8 ply radials on.

I have weighed the trailer several times now and the trailer loaded weighs about 3050 each time. I only found one scale that I could weigh each axle on and the driver side weighs about 100lbs more than the curb side where the worst wear was.

Just as a funny aside. I had to get the tires from Les Schwab because they were the only ones in town who had them in stock and I needed to be on the road. They gave me a written quote on the Gladiators and I came back the next day to put them on. They had me out in no time. About and hour later I was thinking I should check my invoice to make sure they balanced the tires and thy had invoiced me for Towmax 6ply's! I went out to see what was really on the trailer and they had put on a Dynaflex tire!!! I called them and went back and they fixed it all! This time I watched them balance and mount the tire and I read what was on the tire!! And the moral of this story? Never again will I not check my invoice and tires! (or just not tell on myself!)

We'll see how these tires do as I continue down the road.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what "side wall 4ply" is intended to indicate here: "4 ply rating" means Load Range C, and current radial tires would not have 4 actual plies in the side wall... maybe bias-ply tires do, but I suspect this is just the "ply rating".
Re-reading this after the update, I realize that I have an error in this previous post:
"4 ply rating" means Load Range B, so the tire marking probably did mean that these Load Range C bias-ply tires actually had 4 sidewall plies. Load Range C would be "6 ply rating", but not usually actual 6-ply construction.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I had a similar problem with our Scamp 5er. When we bought our Scamp, it had been "lifted" so a pickup with higher side rails could pull it. Our truck has a lower bed and side rails, so we had it lowered and, at the same time, bought two new tires on 14" rims to replace the rather under-sized and over-loaded 13" wheels Scamp sold the trailer with.

Less than 10,000 miles later, one of the tires showed very significant wear on one outside edge, similar to what I saw in your picture, and needed to be replaced. Thinking our axle must somehow gotten bent, I crawled under the trailer to inspect it, and got a surprise. It looked like our axle had been re-installed at a slight, but still noticeable angle to the frame.

I went back under with a framing square to confirm what I thought I saw. It looked like one side was welded on 3/4" forward of the other. I checked again with string, measuring the distance from the hitch to the forward-most edge of the axle-frame connection on either side. 3/4".

I took the trailer back to the RV shop and asked them to fix their mistake. They also paid for a replacement tire . . . and my gas mileage went back up to where it had been before we had the axle work done. (I'd attributed the drop in MPG to driving a pickup truck with 150,000 miles on it.)
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #20

Kansas
Quote:

Re-reading this after the update, I realize that I have an error in this previous post:
"4 ply rating" means Load Range B, so the tire marking probably did mean that these Load Range C bias-ply tires actually had 4 sidewall plies. Load Range C would be "6 ply rating", but not usually actual 6-ply construction.
Agreed.

Load range c is usually 6 ply rating, d is usually 8. I just went and looked at mine to be sure I wasn't off, I have st225/75-15, load range e on mine, 2830lb, 10 ply rating. If I packed light and balanced the trailer, I could almost get by with one tire…

Tags
eco