Need repair help recommendations in Alberta - near Calgary - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Need repair help recommendations in Alberta - near Calgary

I'm one of those 5er owners with excessive wear on the curbside tire! Have read the recent thread on the subject so I have a list made of possible causes (and I have definitely under inflated the tires but only the one is really bad). I am in Three Hills, AB visiting family (drove up from Texas) and the best tire place option here is Cal-Tire. Not sure what is the best way to have this checked out. Does anyone in this area have any recommendations for where to go or what type of a shop I should be looking for? There are a lot of RV places near Calgary but I'm thinking a tire shop might be better. Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Guessing you want to replace the tires. Best bet is yes a tire shop. Kal tire is alright, so is Fountain Tire (good year). Another good place is a smaller chain called OK Tire. These are more of a mom and pop store and so far I have good luck with the two shops I've used.

Be sure to call around and see what you can find. Western RV and Woodys RV are the two largest dealers/ service centers in that end of the province if a tire shop doesn't work for you.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
What's "excessive wear"?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How OLD are the tires? What's the BORN on date? What's the tire pressure? According to the tire or according to Scamp? How are you loading the trailer? Lots of questions.. but they ALL have value
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Texas
tire wear

Both tires looked good whenI left home!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	62987
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Texas
Haven't figured out where the born date is yet. Tire pressure today was 37PSI and the tire says it should be 50. Am thinking I need to move pots and pans to the other side of the trailer but I don't think I am overloading. Need to find a scale and get an accurate weight cause I'm just guessing. I'm going to talk to the tire shop tomorrow and see if they deal with trailers and see what I can learn.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

Kansas
What load rating are they?

It looks to me like the pressure was simply too low. I'm guessing you're right at/over weight rating with the pressure at 50.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
overinflation = center wear
underinflation = edge wear
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Tire pressure today was 37PSI and the tire says it should be 50.
I'm sure the tire actually says that the inflation pressure should be no more than 50 psi, and that it must be 50 psi to have the listed capacity. This leads to...
Quote:
Am thinking I need to move pots and pans to the other side of the trailer but I don't think I am overloading. Need to find a scale and get an accurate weight cause I'm just guessing.
Scamp put bizarrely small tires on the 19-foot model for years, and if the load is uneven side-to-side the heavy side could be easily overloaded, especially at a low pressure. What size, type (presumably ST), and load range (C? D?) are these tires?

The truck scales along Alberta highways are free for anyone to use, and when they are closed (so trucks don't need to stop) the scale and outside display are left on so you can still use them. It looks like there's one on Highway 9 near Morrin (north of Three Hills).
Alberta Scale Locations
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Texas
The tires are Carlisle ST205/75D/15 Load Range C 1820LB (825kg) side wall 4ply.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #11

Kansas
Those could be close to maxed out with max pressure. You have the room, I would go bigger. I have 225/75/15 10 ply rating on mine. I had to trim a small bit on one wheel well, but I only have the 3"spacer, not the extra 1.5" one, also.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #12

Alberta
Quote:
The tires are Carlisle ST205/75D/15 Load Range C 1820LB (825kg) side wall 4ply.
Although I have no problem with Jared's idea of going even bigger, that's already much bigger than the traditional 13" Scamp 19 size, and larger even than the current 14" Scamp 19 size. That quoted capacity (which is only when inflated to 50 psi and not exceeding 65 mph) is higher than the axle capacity, so it is suitably sized (by trailer standards) and I hope the actual load isn't close to that.

I don't know which of three different current Carlisle bias-ply ST tires these might be, but it doesn't matter much because the Tire & Rim Association's ST standards set standard load capacity values for a given size of ST tire... all ST205/75D15 (and ST205/75R15) Load Range C tires of any model have the same capacity.

Even at 37 psi, the capacity of one of these tires would be about 1545 pounds per tire. Axle weights on Scamp 19 trailers weighed in actual camping conditions and listed in Trailer Weights in the Real World range from 2420 to 3000 pounds. It seems unlikely that this tire has been significantly overloaded, unless
  1. this Scamp is unusually heavily loaded, or
  2. the load is very uneven side-to-side, or
  3. the tire was running at even less than 37 psi

I'm not sure what "side wall 4ply" is intended to indicate here: "4 ply rating" means Load Range C, and current radial tires would not have 4 actual plies in the side wall... maybe bias-ply tires do, but I suspect this is just the "ply rating".
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
overinflation = center wear
underinflation = edge wear
Yes, but I also see a repeating pattern in the worn area, suggesting perhaps more going on than simple underinflation.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but I also see a repeating pattern in the worn area, suggesting perhaps more going on than simple underinflation.
True.

Tags
eco